Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• LiveSTRONG

Cast Member past out in autopia?

I was getting off the monorail in the afternoon (not sure of time but after 3). And when walking by the autopia, two cast members were walking the autopia track when a female cm seemed to pass out and collapse. I just got back to my room at gch and wanted to see if anyone else heard about or saw this.

• Shubisha

Re: Cast Member past out in autopia?

That sucks :/ Thanks for not taking pictures though. That's embarassing enough in person, would suck to get it plastered on the internet heh.

• LiveSTRONG

There where alot of people stopping and lookin so i just walked by there were a few cast members running to help her

• Haunted Mansion Lover

I hope she is ok!

It's getting hard to find good CM's these days!
    Foolish Mortal

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

How hot was is there?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• LiveSTRONG

it was only in the 70's

• Feed the Ducks!

It definitely wasn't from the heat. We barely broke a sweat out there at canoes today.

• I'm A Disney Girl

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    How hot was is there?
    it was probably from the fumes

• LLC Master Builder

Unfortunately it has happened before and it will happen again. As a former cast member who worked that attraction, there is a lot more there than just heat to take out a CM. The fumes can do it by themselves if there is no air circulating through the area. Also every one of the positions there is a standing position for CMs; there are no sitting positions. So if a CM was on their feet for several hours, combine that with the fumes and the complete lack of days off/rest that Disney gives its employees, then you get a very bad work environment for my former co-workers. I remember at least 4 CMs passing out or collapsing on Autopia during my time there. I myself had the nurses from Cast Health called out for me when I could not breathe from the fumes. The entire ride is unsafe for CMs, but that is another rant for another thread.

I just hope she is ok and that it was not anyone I know who might still be there. I know that Cast Health took good care of her though, they always do.
    "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" - Me, with a B.S. in Astrophysics.

Professionally building with LEGO bricks since 2007. Visit Legoland California to see some of my work!

Tomorrowland Attractions CM: 6/24/05-8/24/06
    Survived Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, and the Mark V Monorail.

DCL_Becky's Prince Charming

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DL Steve View Post
    Unfortunately it has happened before and it will happen again. As a former cast member who worked that attraction, there is a lot more there than just heat to take out a CM. The fumes can do it by themselves if there is no air circulating through the area. Also every one of the positions there is a standing position for CMs; there are no sitting positions. So if a CM was on their feet for several hours, combine that with the fumes and the complete lack of days off/rest that Disney gives its employees, then you get a very bad work environment for my former co-workers. I remember at least 4 CMs passing out or collapsing on Autopia during my time there. I myself had the nurses from Cast Health called out for me when I could not breathe from the fumes. The entire ride is unsafe for CMs, but that is another rant for another thread.

I just hope she is ok and that it was not anyone I know who might still be there. I know that Cast Health took good care of her though, they always do.
    If that's indeed the case, then these should be treated as workplace injuries and reported and OSHA should get involved. If Disney is avoiding this and treating them as isolated, individual-dependent issues then it is in violation of the workplace safety laws.

As to the standing, I've worked 12 hour and near twelve hour shifts at attractions that have no sitting positions and survived, even when working 5.5 weeks with no days off (not all 12 hour days though) and survived - and I'm no youngster by a long shot. As to how that combines with the air pollution problem, I don't know but it can't be good.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    That sucks :/ Thanks for not taking pictures though. That's embarassing enough in person, would suck to get it plastered on the internet heh.
    I really wish pictures of this incident got out. It would be another step in rallying support to get this horrible attraction shut down and removed for something better.

• LLC Master Builder

As far as I know, Cal-OSHA never became involved in any of the incidents that occurred on Autopia during my time there. I also do not know if any information on the incidents were even reported to OSHA. What I can tell you though is that many of my friends were injured working that attraction, with injuries ranging from scrapes, to mild sprains, to broken bones, yet no changes were made to make the attraction safer for CMs. State inspectors came and gave us "surprise" visits every now and then, but we always knew they were coming when we opened the attraction up in the morning so we would, as one of my leads once said, "put on a good show."

As for the 12 hour days that JeffYardDog mentioned, we all went through those too at Auto. I think my longest streak at Auto without a day off was 24 days though, 10-12 hours per day during the early summer of 2006. There are simply too many positions at that attraction and not enough CMs working it. If even one calls in sick, it could potentially make everyone's day much worse. Most CMs there last 2-3 months and then quit because of the conditions.

The unsafe conditions at Autopia can be summed up in the nickname given to the attraction by many Cast Members. They call it: Blood Alley.
    "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" - Me, with a B.S. in Astrophysics.

Professionally building with LEGO bricks since 2007. Visit Legoland California to see some of my work!

Tomorrowland Attractions CM: 6/24/05-8/24/06
    Survived Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, and the Mark V Monorail.

DCL_Becky's Prince Charming

• Queen of Sarcasm

Ahh, my summers at Auto had the potential to be bad indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if a person did faint out there, it wouldn't have been the first and wouldn't be the last.

I remember being Auto 2 talking to Steve at Auto 3 about everything going on and that being the point of me finally deciding I couldn't last anymore. It is fun until you are standing in one position for at least an hour with no rotations or water breaks because there is nobody to send them out. In the summer it is 10 degrees hotter on the track than it really is outside and you have the fumes that you constantly breathe. It does not make for a good envorinment, like Steve said, an average new hire only lasts about three months down there.

• Fastest Man Alive

3 months? That's practically an old timer these days.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    Ahh, my summers at Auto had the potential to be bad indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if a person did faint out there, it wouldn't have been the first and wouldn't be the last.

I remember being Auto 2 talking to Steve at Auto 3 about everything going on and that being the point of me finally deciding I couldn't last anymore. It is fun until you are standing in one position for at least an hour with no rotations or water breaks because there is nobody to send them out. In the summer it is 10 degrees hotter on the track than it really is outside and you have the fumes that you constantly breathe. It does not make for a good envorinment, like Steve said, an average new hire only lasts about three months down there.
    No fumes at Fliks Fun Fair (unless you count the scents on Heimlich) but working under the canopy at Tuck and Roll on a hot day bring a whole new scale to the idea of Saunas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast