Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Place Was Mobbed Yesterday!

This is how we managed to have a great day at Disneyland even though a heck of a lot of stuff was closed, and the park was absolutely packed.

My friend and I got down there at 3:15. After waiting for forever to park in the structure, we were directed up to the roof to park the farthest place away from the escalators as possible....

First course correction: We do not park. We immediately exit the structure and valet park at The Grand Californian. (If you go to Napa Rose, they validate for five hours. We would have gone there anyway to have some wine and say hello...and get our ticket validated.)

But before going to Napa, we entered Disneyland. Long entrance line, and once inside, it was jam-packed everywhere. It was one of those two-parks-for-the-price-of-one days, and there were huge lines for stuff; so we just decided to skip rides, walk around, and take in the scenery. We first went to have some Dole Whips, then headed over to NOS. The Columbia is docked and open, but wasn't making trips around the Rivers. I haven't been on the Columbia for years, and it was cool to go below and check it out.

Then we headed over to check out the Gallery, which was closed. Kind of a bummer. The Pirates line was ridiculously long. We headed over to the secret place behind McDonald's across from Splash. I read about that here and wanted to check it out. The back part where you can observe the flume was closed, too, but we walked through it anyway and spent about 10 minutes in solitude watching the ducks. Very relaxing. From there, you can see they're doing major work on Tom Sawyer Island. (An aside, I noted that the water standing in the dock where the Mark Twain is being worked on was really filthy and should be attended to.)

We did a casual park walk, watched the artists at the character art across from Matterhorn. It's now about 5:45; so we decided to head out and have our visit at Napa. But first we visited the Silhouette shop, again, a subject of a recent thread here and something I overlooked for 30 years, but there was a pretty long line of mothers and daughters waiting. (Maybe next time.) The Dapper Dans were performing to a very large, appreciative crowd. We watched them for a bit before exiting.

Upon exiting, the entrance line to Disneyland was the longest I've ever seen. It stretched halfway to DCA, I kid you not! Unbelievable. I guess with the combo of great weekend weather and the two-for-ones, everyone decided to come on down.

Napa was great. I met some very interesting folks at the bar and had some awsome wine. Spent about an hour and a half at the bar. Now, since the validation is for five hours, the plan was to move the car over to the Disneyland Hotel and have dinner at 55. But we modified that and went to Mr. Stox instead. I think the food is better there anyway, and I enjoy listening to piano while dining, and he was playing great music last night.

If you're on vacation with kids and need to pack in a full day, you wouldn't have that kind of itinerary. But considering the crowds and all the closed attractions, it really was a lovely visit that I wanted to share.

If you like wine, here's what we had. At Napa, we had a bottle of Kistler Les Noisetiers Chardonnay. At Mr. Stox, it was a fabulous Du Mol Chardonnay. Those are some very fine California Chardonnays.

Cheers!

Re: The Place Was Mobbed Yesterday!

Yea it was a crazy day! I got there at 3:30 but I met up with friends who were there since 9am. The first ride they went on was Pirates and they were evacuated! I was jealous cus I've always wanted to be evacuated...hehe! I met up with them and had fun and we got fastpasses to Soarin'. We ended up not trying to use them until late at night but by 8pm only one theater was open and the fastpass line was huge! They said that the fastpass line wait was 1.5 hours! LAME! We went on screamin' instead!

• Kevin's a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    I met up with them and had fun and we got fastpasses to Soarin'. We ended up not trying to use them until late at night but by 8pm only one theater was open and the fastpass line was huge! They said that the fastpass line wait was 1.5 hours! LAME! We went on screamin' instead!
    We saw that. It was crazy. We were about to enter the building when Concourse one stopped working.

It was very hectic. Our only fastpass was for Space Mountain, at 7:35 to 8:35. (It was the first thing we did; getting out fastpasses.)

We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?

So from the looks of this today seems like it might be worse. I did so want to go today... so much for a relaxing day at the park.
    I've stuck my foot in my mouth so many times I don't think I'll ever get rid of the taste.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

just tell everyone (well not you all) to stay away next saturday so we can enjoy the last day of our vacation there
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• 88 mph

Whats with the sudden Crowds at DL? Did this YOAMD crap really work?! Spring season isnt till 1-2 more weeks!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I went to DCA yesterday morning and had a Fast Pass for Soarin for 12:05. Only waited 10 minutes to board. I usually go on as a single rider and get stuck in the third row. This time I asked nicely if I could sit in row 1 so I finally got the front row middle.

Yes, I noticed when I left around 12:30 how crowded it was getting. I had considered moving the car (I was parked in DT Disney parking) and going back to DCA, but when I saw the lines, even for security, I changed my mind. It was a beautiful day and today is even nicer.

• Hooterville, USA

The "off season" is a thing of the past.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Boozer, User, and Loser

It was those damn cheerleaders yesterday. They were everywhere. My hotel was full of them. Ugh!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    Whats with the sudden Crowds at DL? Did this YOAMD crap really work?! Spring season isnt till 1-2 more weeks!
    Cheerleaders, a huge convention at the convention center, very nice weather, and the 2fer. Also, yesterday was Dr Laura's birthday party at the GCH.(i started a thread on the cheerleading thing the other day to warn ppl about the crowds and others added some of the other happenings as well)
    I was at Wendy's around noon today near my house, and there were a whole lot of ppl going to Disneyland.

• Queen of Sarcasm

They not only attack Disney but my fiancee and I went to Universal yesterday and they were all over there too. I guess the Ampitheater holds a competition too. I was in a tram car full of them, it it didn't make for a pleasant tour with them screaming over everything.

• That Guy

Crap. In am going to be there on March 12th, and my original plan was to just get a DLR one-day pass, but if it is that nutty, maybe I better get my GF a park-hopper so we can escape to DCA, as a back-up plan? What do you guys think?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    just tell everyone (well not you all) to stay away next saturday so we can enjoy the last day of our vacation there

• Bring Your Own Redemption

I wonder how those damn cheerleaders got through security with those huge trophies. I was almost knocked out at least three times...
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Crap. In am going to be there on March 12th, and my original plan was to just get a DLR one-day pass, but if it is that nutty, maybe I better get my GF a park-hopper so we can escape to DCA, as a back-up plan? What do you guys think?
    I would just play it by ear when you get there, if you can. Mondays have been busier than usual the past few weeks. You can always ask when you get there how crowds are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast