Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Which attraction has changed the most drastcially since it's original form?

Which of these do you believe has changed the most drastically?

1. Jungle Cruise
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. The Haunted Mansion
    4. Snow White's Scary Adventures
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    7. Matterhorn Bobsleds
    8. Alice in Wonderland
    9. Storybook Land Canal Boats
    10. Enchanted Tiki Room
    11. Autopia
    12. Space Mountain
    13. Disneyland Railroad
    14. Dumbo
    15. Mad Tea Party
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 03-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Which attraction has changed the most drastcially since it's original form?

That's easy - Storybook Land Canal Boats.

It was open the first day that the park was, but all that was there was humps of dirt and a little river (the budget Walt had just didn't give him what he needed for the attraction yet). There really wasn't anything there. I believe after about a year of the attraction being open, it went down to actually get it's show elements placed in.

• Circle of Ancients

I'd probably have to say Matterhorn.

Yes HM and Pirates have had some major changes in the last few years, but the ride is basically the same. They have just been updating alot of the technology.

As for Matterhorn, it was a hollow mountain, with the skyway going through. They totally re-did the entire mountain (at the same time preventing it from falling into the Sub-Lagoon) . Plus ... it's the only ride to ever changed lands (Tomorrowland to Fantasyland). They have changed the trains at least twice. As far as I know the layout is pretty much the same but everything else is different.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The Storybook Canal Boats has changed the most drastically, considering there was nothing there to compare it to--not too difficult to improve upon.
    But I think the most dramatic change to an existing ride which already had an identity was the Jungle Cruise additions from 1962-1964. The Elephant Bathing Pool, African savannah scenes and Lost Safaris scenes have become classic, iconic images that are so closely associated with the attraction, that it is difficult to picture JC without them.

• I met Walt Disney!

Maybe Snow White.... it's no where near what it was originally.

• Minion

Do the Trams count?

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    That's easy - Storybook Land Canal Boats.

It was open the first day that the park was, but all that was there was humps of dirt and a little river (the budget Walt had just didn't give him what he needed for the attraction yet). There really wasn't anything there. I believe after about a year of the attraction being open, it went down to actually get it's show elements placed in.
    Well, I guess you can say that's true, I don't know why i put that in the category since all the others have just recieved additions while SBLCB recieved a whole new theme. It's kinda like comparing Submarine Voyage to the new Finding Nemo.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• "714"

I would say Storybook, although all those ride have changed since 1995 in some sort of way its hard to pick.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• I love this place!

I think the ride that has undergone the most physical changes has to be the Jungle Cruise. As has been mentioned, new show scenes have been added, the routing has been changed, a new 2-story queue has been built, the look of the ride vehicles have changed dramatically, etc.

Plus, wasn't the Jungle Cruise originally supposed to be taken seriously? Now of course it's all very tongue-in-cheek. And the fact that the jokes change from one cruise to the next can lead to a dramatic change in your experience each time you ride.

Storybookland Canal Boats actually changed names from the original "Canal Boats of the World", your boat travels the same route but there's all the miniature scenes that have been added/updated over the years so that one deserves a mention.

And of course the Matterhorn went from being single car to dual-car, plus the interior was finished with the addition of ice caverns in 1978 and the addition of the Abominable Snowman, and the addition of the Lost Wells Expedition to honor Frank Wells. And the Skyway stopped traveling through it in 1994. (Note: is there a harder word to type than Abominable? I don't think so!)

Overall though, I don't think there's any ride that has gone through more changes to all its aspects while still keeping it's original name than the Jungle Cruise.

• Minion FOREVER!

PineappleWhipAddict and Swab has it right... definitely the most change (basically the whole
    ride).

Swab: That's excellent JC knowledge!

Although it's not most, another ride w/ a lot of changes has to be the monorails. (At least
    three sets of cars (four if you include the rumored ones coming to DL) and several different layouts
    of track. I think this is the third right now? I know it's at least two...the first was just an excusion
    of TL)

• n/a

what about Autopia?
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    what about Autopia?
    True, Autopia has changed drastically, but it's pretty much a whole different ride now, new cars, they dont go off track anymore, new queue, various track extensions, chevron sponsor, it used to be two attractions and not one, I don't know, i wish they had no middle line track to control where you are going like in the early years.

• Closed Account

While not on your list, I submit the trains have changed more over the years than any other attraction. Here's just a brief list of changes that I can think of off hand:

1957: New station added (Tomorrowland);

1958: Number of ride vehicles increase by 33% (Fred Gurley & trainset addition);

1958: "Dark Ride" added (Grand Canyon Diorama);

1959: Power plant increases 25% (Ernest S. Marsh addition);

1963: New station building added (Frontierland);

1965: New service facilities built;

1965: Capacity increased 25% (addition of fourth--and fifth--trainset);

1965: Second dark ride added (Primeval World Diorama);

Circa 1967: Ride trackage lengthened;

1974: Entire attraction re-named (going from SF&D RR to DRR);

1976: Parlor car added;

1993: New station added (Toontown);

2005: Power capacity increased 20% (Addition of Ward Kimball).

I'm sure there are other substantive changes that have been made, but these stand out.

• Minion FOREVER!

Steve, don't know the year, but I'm pretty sure that the Splash Mountain "view" from the
    DLRR wasn't there when DL opened :-)

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Pirates...

It will never be the same!

but I still love it with a piece of my heart!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast