Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    The SUBlime Tony Baxter and Marty SKlar are interviewed in the current Winter '07 issue of Disneyland Backstage Pass. As the story goes, Baxter worked the attraction in 1969. He attended the Submarine Voyage'a opening in 1959. Apparently with a heavy heart, TB took a final ride in 1998,when it rode into the abyss.

    The Senior VP of Creative Development for WDI went to bat for the subs three times. In fear of striking out, he kept his eye on the ball and scored a homer. For a large part, It is Tony Baxter's tenasity that we can credit for the return of the new version of the ride.

    "Imagineer Ambassador" Marty SKlar affirmed that the structural integrity of the subs will allow them a lifetime of another 40 or 50 years. This is beacause they were engineered right to begin with...with thick steel hulls like real naval submarines. The Executive VP attributes the stealthy, nearly unsinkable subs To Disneyland's original head builder, Rear Admiral Joe Fowler, U.S.N. Retired...along with Bob Gurr on account of the drawings that Gurr rendered.

    MS indulges us with a most interesting factoid. Imagineers Baxter and SKlar are as uniquely diverse as the magical park...where the spirit of Walt remains vital and alive with inspiration. Like the founder, each are like little bees buzzing about, taking their own sweet time...creating happiness. Perhaps, this goes a long way toward accounting for their impeccable durability.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-05-2007 at 05:58 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #2

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    *Sklar?

    It was a very nice read in the newsletter. I was also pleased to see how when asked if Walt would want the Subs resurfacing in this way, he didn't just say yes or no, and was rather vague, but happy and hopeful about the Subs.

  3. #3

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    *Sklar?

    It was a very nice read in the newsletter. I was also pleased to see how when asked if Walt would want the Subs resurfacing in this way, he didn't just say yes or no, and was rather vague, but happy and hopeful about the Subs.
    Yes indeed. SKlar has become a champion of fluffy and vaque Disneyspeak. Fortunately, he chose to speak plain English a great deal of the time during the interview. Nevertheless, he's a legendary creative talent.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-05-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #4

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Talk about patting yourself on the back! The subs are giant air tanks with holes drill into them.

  5. #5

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,060

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    It's interesting that neither the writer, nor Sklar nor Baxter mentioned any June (11th?) opening date. Is this a "telling" omission? Hmmmm...

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Is it all possible to read the interview/article online?

    Im also curious if it says that Tony Baxter was the main driving force behind the new Submarine Voyage? If so, this would be his first project since the mid 90s when he made Indiana Jones and Tomorrowland 98 (and before you start the version we actually got was radically different this his original plan thanks to Eisner & Pressler).

    I know after the Tomorrowland fiasco they used Baxter as a scapegoat and kept him but none of his concepts after that got greenlit . I keep hoping that Lasseter will allow him to build one of his dream projects soon.

  7. #7

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The SUBlime Tony Baxter and Marty Sclar
    Please spell it correctly. It's bad enough that John Lasseter's name gets botched all the time.

    It's SKLAR. With a "K" not a "C".

    The man's a freakin' Disney Legend, fer cryin' out loud. Show some respect!



    ... are interviewed in the current Winter '07 issue of Disneyland Backstage Pass. As the story goes, Baxter worked the attraction in 1969. He attended the Submarine Voyage'a opening in 1959. Apparently with a heavy heart, TB took a final ride in 1998,when it rode into the abyss.
    Yup. Here's someone else who also rode on the final voyage:

    http://www.maynardhomepage.net/maynard_pgc.asp

    The Senior VP of Creative Development for WDI went to bat for the subs three times. In fear of striking out, he kept his eye on the ball and scored a homer.
    "Homer"?

    Must be a new Disney euphemism for "double the budget and slash the capacity."

    For a large part, It is Tony Baxter's tenasity that we can credit for the return of the new version of the ride.
    Good. I want someone to blame when the east side of the park turns uglier than World Cup soccer.

    "Imagineer Ambassador" Marty Sclar affirmed that the structural integrity of the subs will allow them a lifetime of another 40 or 50 years.
    Oh snot. Fifty years of those freakin' "Mine! Mine! Mine!" seagulls.

    Shoot me now.

    This is beacause they were engineered right to begin with...with thick steel hulls like real naval submarines. The Executive VP attributes the stealthy, nearly unsinkable subs To Disneyland's original head builder, Rear Admiral Joe Fowler, U.S.N. Retired...along with Bob Gurr on account of the drawings that Gurr rendered.
    OK, I blame them, too.

    MS indulges us with a most interesting factoid. Imagineers Baxter and Sclar are as uniquely diverse as the magical park...where the spirit of Walt remains vital and alive with inspiration. Like the founder, each are like little bees buzzing about, taking their own sweet time...creating happiness.
    "Little bees buzzing about"? Sure. They want to pollinate their bank accounts.

    Perhaps, this goes a long way toward accounting for their impeccable durability.
    "Impeccable durability"? Sklar's been moved to Emeritus Row at Team Disney Burbank. That's about as durable as a 50-year-old rubber band.

    As for Baxter, well... we'll see just how powerful Lasseter truly is.

    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  8. #8

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Im also curious if it says that Tony Baxter was the main driving force behind the new Submarine Voyage? If so, this would be his first project since the mid 90s when he made Indiana Jones and Tomorrowland 98 (and before you start the version we actually got was radically different this his original plan thanks to Eisner & Pressler).
    Good guess. But wrong. Thanks for playing!!

    I keep hoping that Lasseter will allow him to build one of his dream projects soon.
    I'm sorry, but you're assuming that John Lasseter has the power to do that. He doesn't. Jay Rasulo, Don Goodman, and Tom Fitzgerald are Tony's bosses. Not John. They're the ones who decide what Tony works on, and which of Tony's blue sky projects get the green light.

    Imagination rehab? Incredibles robocoaster? Not happening. Even though John loved both proposals.

    From what I can tell, John should have more power over Glendale than he does. But I guess it all depends on when Rasulo and his flying monkeys are gone. Until then, who the heck knows what the future will bring?

    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  9. #9

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    I found that interview to be tolling to read. It was a bunch of crap.

    Sklar's sparkly-clean use of Disneyspeak, avoiding questions with textbook-perfect answers is annoying. And Baxter just seemed arrogant and egotistic.

    I'd rather see an interview from Lasseter telling it like it is, than these guys who are either too concerned with making sure they sound press-release worthy or too full of themselves to really give an interesting response.

    I was impressed, however, with the fact that the Subs were built to be so durable. Props to WED!

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,787

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I was impressed, however, with the fact that the Subs were built to be so durable. Props to WED!
    And the San Pedro dockworkers!


  11. #11

    • Disney worshipper/geek
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westchester, California
    Posts
    904

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    And the San Pedro dockworkers!

    My great-grandfather was one of them! It will be so nice to get on the same subs, because he made them. Oddly, enough, my great-grandfather was a lot like Walt...
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

    Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

  12. #12

    • Waiting 4 DCA Demolition
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Well, the old subs lasted nearly forty years but then again in it's last ten years, it was showing its wear and tear very quickly.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
    __________________________________________________________

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post

    From what I can tell, John should have more power over Glendale than he does. But I guess it all depends on when Rasulo and his flying monkeys are gone. Until then, who the heck knows what the future will bring?


    is right. Al Lutz told me that Jay Rasolu is triping over himself to please Lasseter.

  14. #14

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I found that interview to be tolling to read. It was a bunch of crap.

    Sklar's sparkly-clean use of Disneyspeak, avoiding questions with textbook-perfect answers is annoying. And Baxter just seemed arrogant and egotistic.

    I'd rather see an interview from Lasseter telling it like it is, than these guys who are either too concerned with making sure they sound press-release worthy or too full of themselves to really give an interesting response.


    I was impressed, however, with the fact that the Subs were built to be so durable. Props to WED!
    Bob Gurr's contributions to WED are the stuff which Legends are made of! Ditto for Admiral Fowler. The engineering accomplishments these two men brought to DL are immeasurable.

    It does blow my mind to think that these are the original subs, still seaworthy after all these decades, so to speak. I'd be grateful to have a vacuum cleaner last half as long.

    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  15. #15

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Nemo Rising ~ Subs / Baxter / Sclar Each Built To Last

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Talk about patting yourself on the back! The subs are giant air tanks with holes drill into them.
    Let's just hope noboby climbs inside and flatulates.

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    It's interesting that neither the writer, nor Sklar nor Baxter mentioned any June (11th?) opening date. Is this a "telling" omission? Hmmmm...
    Yeseree, Bob! Me thinks you may truely be on to something here. Hopefully, we'll all be on it in June.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Is it all possible to read the interview/article online?

    Im also curious if it says that Tony Baxter was the main driving force behind the new Submarine Voyage? If so, this would be his first project since the mid 90s when he made Indiana Jones and Tomorrowland 98 (and before you start the version we actually got was radically different this his original plan thanks to Eisner & Pressler).

    I know after the Tomorrowland fiasco they used Baxter as a scapegoat and kept him but none of his concepts after that got greenlit . I keep hoping that Lasseter will allow him to build one of his dream projects soon.
    Tony alludes to himself as being a main driving force. It is not clear whether he considers himself to be THE absolute main force.


    Although Lasseter isn't directly over Baxter, he could use use his considerable inluence to help propel TB's projects forward..

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Good guess. But wrong. Thanks for playing!!

    I'm sorry, but you're assuming that John Lasseter has the power to do that. He doesn't. Jay Rasulo, Don Goodman, and Tom Fitzgerald are Tony's bosses. Not John. They're the ones who decide what Tony works on, and which of Tony's blue sky projects get the green light.

    Imagination rehab? Incredibles robocoaster? Not happening. Even though John loved both proposals.

    From what I can tell, John should have more power over Glendale than he does. But I guess it all depends on when Rasulo and his flying monkeys are gone. Until then, who the heck knows what the future will bring?

    EPCOT's Imagination rehab (featuring the rumored Mindstorms ride) may well happen yet. New projects have sprung to life there before...and quite unexpectedly.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I found that interview to be tolling to read. It was a bunch of crap.

    Sklar's sparkly-clean use of Disneyspeak, avoiding questions with textbook-perfect answers is annoying. And Baxter just seemed arrogant and egotistic.

    I'd rather see an interview from Lasseter telling it like it is, than these guys who are either too concerned with making sure they sound press-release worthy or too full of themselves to really give an interesting response.

    I was impressed, however, with the fact that the Subs were built to be so durable. Props to WED!
    This was just a background interview. Backstage pass let readers know that a full blown artical about the new Nemo Sub ride can be expected soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Lasseter will participate in an interview.

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    And the San Pedro dockworkers!

    Kudo's and many praises to the dockworkers.

    Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    My great-grandfather was one of them! It will be so nice to get on the same subs, because he made them. Oddly, enough, my great-grandfather was a lot like Walt...
    Wonderful! Your grandpa is to be greatly admired.

    Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    Well, the old subs lasted nearly forty years but then again in it's last ten years, it was showing its wear and tear very quickly.
    They were not maintained and fell into a horrindous state of disrepair. Thank God that the subs were rescued just in time.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-05-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lookng for Nemo Subs
    By fishThedisH in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 02:06 PM
  2. New Subs Podcast Interview With Tony Baxter!
    By pineapplewhipaddict in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
  3. Where Nemo should be built
    By Mr_Incredible in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 06:12 PM
  4. Nemo subs
    By Kevie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 06:03 PM
  5. Nemo Subs
    By ROBONICS95 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 09:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •