Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Goofy

Re: Is the Grand Canyon a little too dated?

No your right wave789, its impossible for it to be a different kind of ride especially the train travels quickly and the guess are waiting for their turn. I wish it could happen though.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The "Grand Canyon" diorama really doesn't make much sense, anymore. When the Disneyland Railroad was presented by Santa Fe, the tableau made an appropriate conclusion to the Grand Circle Tour because of the Santa Fe's relationship to Arizona's great natural wonder. But, now, there really isn't a point to the display. It detracts from the overall effectiveness and coherence of the D.R.R.'s tour of The Magic Kingdom.

I would like to see elements from the "Grand Canyon" diorama resynthesized in Frontierland, instead. For example, Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" would make appropriate area music there.
    I am sure Steve Gaetano can correct me on this, but there is nothing exclusive about the Santa Fe line and Arizona. As a matter of fact, the rail line that runs through Anaheim is, or once was, the Santa Fe line...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    How is the Grand Canyon "dated?" It represents the Grand Canyon "as we know it TODAY." Saying a thing is dated means it's not true with modern times and the Grand Canyon IS true with modern times. It's still there isn't it?
    I have to fully agree here.
    The Grand Canyon IS still there...and it's just a portion of the ride. It might seem somewhat 'campy' but it's part of the ride. Makes it fun in a strangely silly sort of way.

I say leave it and direct the attentions of fixing it I (and might I add that it's not broken) to Tomorrowland.

• Disneyholic

I love the Grand Canyon part.
    The main reason is my friend visits the "Real One" once a year and tells me I should come along and do something other then Disney.
    And that's when I tell him Disneyland has the Grand Canyon along with a trip to the GC millions of years ago.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I am sure Steve Gaetano can correct me on this, but there is nothing exclusive about the Santa Fe line and Arizona. As a matter of fact, the rail line that runs through Anaheim is, or once was, the Santa Fe line...
    The Santa Fe Railway at one time had a branch line that ferried tourists to the Grand Canyon. It was a Santa Fe exclusive, and they capitalized on it when they could (even having one of their named trains called "The Grand Canyon").

There was synergy (probably not a word used at the time) between the real Santa Fe and the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad. The Santa Fe would hand out free admission passes to kids on board the Super Chief, and when the Grand Canyon Diorama was built, the Santa Fe hyped it in their advertising. The theme was along the lines of, "If you happen to be taking the train to Disneyland, you can look at our Grand Canyon before you visit Disneyland's!" Photographic comparisons between Disney's canyon and Arizona's were made in Look and Life magazine ads, asking, "Can you tell which Grand Canyon is the real one?"

When the Grand Canyon diorama was opened, the Santa Fe participated heavily in the event, bringing along a band, a native American shaman who blessed the trains, and the Santa Fe's "mascot," an Indian boy named "Chico." The Santa Fe covered the event in their in-house newsletter.

True enough, today the Santa Fe as a railroad has ceased to exist, and the Santa Fe pulled its sponsorship of the Disneyland Railroad in 1974--ironically enough, over the Santa Fe's attempt to "modernize" the DRR by including Diesel powered trains (yes, Walt wanted his park to change. But Park management in 1974 thankfully realized that not every change is for the better, and didn't fret that they had "lost their imaginations" by not making haphazard changes...as some MCer's might. After all, aren't steam locomotives "dated" and "irrelevant" to today's younger audience?).

Slowly, slowly, slowly, the park is losing the "Walt" touch that so many of the "faithful" claim separate and define Disneyland from the rest of the Disney theme parks. Main Street has lost much of its charm; the castle looks like a Barbie Dream House; And now, Tom Sawyer Island--an attraction Walt Disney designed virtually by himself--will be a memory.

Seemingly, the trains may be the last vestige in the parks that bears Walt's personal touch. As a showman, he knew that every show needed a conclusion, and for him, the Grand Canyon Diorama and the Primeval World provided just such a climax.

Please, let's leave a little bit of Walt in his theme park. There are plenty of other absolute travesties that should be rectified before destroying this little bit of Disney history.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-06-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    How is the Grand Canyon "dated?" It represents the Grand Canyon "as we know it TODAY." Saying a thing is dated means it's not true with modern times and the Grand Canyon IS true with modern times. It's still there isn't it?
    I think that perhaps what was meant was that dioramas in of themselves are obsolete. People today expect more than a static, stuffed cougar or rubbery looking dinos.

• It's all nonsense

The dioramas are awesome!!! DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!

• Hooterville, USA

Use real animals. That would spice it up!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Please, let's leave a little bit of Walt in his theme park. There are plenty of other absolute travesties that should be rectified before destroying this little bit of Disney history.
    Great post Steve, and I couldn't agree more.

Let's take a look at the Motorboat cruise area, or the area behind Big Thunder, or most importantly, Tomorrowland! It needs all kinds of TLC to bring it back to the people-eater it was in the 1970's!

It doesn't make sense to rip out a classic like the Grand Canyon Diorama and the Primevil World exhibit (a nod to Disney's participation in the 1964 Worlds Fair) when there are so many other weak areas in the Park that need addressing first.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    Well...that's because they are real stuffed/taxidermy'd animals.

But don't worry. Walt didn't "order" them killed and stuffed. They were aquired from already long-existing collections and museums.
    I was reading an article in the E-Ticket recently in which Disney Legend Bob Sewell was being interviewed about his participation (as a former diarama builder and painter for the American Museum of Natural History, and then later at the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History) in the construction of "The Mine Train Thru Natures Wonderland, The Grand Canyon Diorama, and The Submarine Voyage attraction, as well as many others.
    In this article he specifically talks about procuring animals for taxidermy that would be stuffed by an in-house taxidermist that worked for Bud Washo at WED. In the article he states,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sewell: The E-Ticket Magazine, Issue 29
    "There's a story about Walt back before we used vinyl skins and fur cloth and still used hides of real animals for our displays. Walt came to Bud Washo's staff shop one day, showing people around. He opened a freezer there. Inside was the frozen carcass of a skinned coyote, left there by the taxidermist. Walt told me later, "Bob, let's not have any more real animals in the rides. The public doesn't want us to be killing animals for Disneyland."

Even so, this was at a different time, when this type of thing was done all the time in order to build museum dioramas. My hat's off to Walt for realizing that this practice was no longer acceptable (at least for Disneyland) and asked that it be stopped.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Do you mean animals that are alive? Because the animals in there are in fact real -- or at least they once were!

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

This attraction is almost 49 years old and has been untouched for the most part, Ok, I don't know, to me, I find Grand Canyon kind of chessy, it's a cheesy grand canyon backdrop with animak figures that don't even move, I just think they should update it with 21st century technology.

As for Primeval World, for the last 41 years it has dazzled millions and is one of the last attractions in Disneyland that is just plain eduicational. I don't know, I like it but it just needs a little something new, it's been untouched for more than forty years, at least do something like with most of the other attractions.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Yes! That would certainly turn it into an "E" Ticket Attraction! Imagine the possibility of being eaten up by a Tyrannasaurus Rex!?

• Closed Account

Heck, the Grand Canyon IS educational! Even Walt Disney himself learned something about the Canyon's wildlife from the Diorama!

(tease...)

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The "Grand Canyon" diorama really doesn't make much sense, anymore. When the Disneyland Railroad was presented by Santa Fe, the tableau made an appropriate conclusion to the Grand Circle Tour because of the Santa Fe's relationship to Arizona's great natural wonder. But, now, there really isn't a point to the display. It detracts from the overall effectiveness and coherence of the D.R.R.'s tour of The Magic Kingdom.

I would like to see elements from the "Grand Canyon" diorama resynthesized in Frontierland, instead. For example, Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" would make appropriate area music there.
    Ditto. I got bored with the diorama years ago. And some more accurate depictions of dinosaurs would be nice, given the advances in paleontology since the New York World's Fair. (Compare Primeval World's outdated drag-tail-on-ground T Rex with Jurassic Park's run-like-a-bird dino. Oh so tacky.)

Nostalgia is nice. But enough already. This space is cryin' for something new and compelling. I'd even settle for an animatronic recreation of the train station scene in Harvey Girls!

See the ol' smoke risin' round the bend
    I reckon that she knows she's gonna meet a friend
    Folks around these parts get the time of day
    From the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    See? This is just embarrassing when compared to T Rex from JP. Time to retire these puppies.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast