Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• i want some kisses!!!

Re: Which DLR hotel should I stay at?

i adore the disneyland hotel! its like you never leave the disney atmosphere. we have three trips booked there for this year. i have only stayed at gc once and although it was beautiful i agree that you loose the disney feel. and it is more pricey which is a downfall for me. heck im pained paying the dh prices these days. but after all is done it is worth it. i just dont look at the credit card bills for a month!

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Which DLR hotel should I stay at?

I If you are going with young children, then by all means consider the DLH (consider the GCH too!). DLH has loads of themeing, rooms are decent, staff is good, the nachos at the Lost Bar and the Monorail is close.

Alas, for me, the DLH is a bit too hectic, for instance, the Cove pool is supposed to be a "quite", pool - well it wasn't when I went. There were a group of teenagers spitting loogies at each other in the pool, while Mom & Dad just said "Now, stop that.", which of course it didn't stop... but of course, this could happen at the GCH too, although I've yet to see it happen...

To me, Hotels are a very personal choice, even though I'm not going to be in the room all day, I still want a room that I look forward to going back too! Most folks love the DLH, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once. That way you'll know for sure whether you really like it or not.

My husband and I prefer to stay at the GCH as it has a more adult feel, with subtle theming, that seems to add to the overall calmness of the hotel. We have stayed at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel (GCH), 8 times now. We either get a Downtown Disney view, or a Theme Park view, these views come with balconies! We love the Downtown view because you can watch the fireworks from your own balcony (with 2 chairs & table) great for relaxing, or people watching! Theme Park view is usually a view of the Grizzly River Rapid ride, that view is nice too, especially in the morning when the park is closed, and there is a mist in the air…

Anyway, guests of the GCH, have a private entrance into Disney's California Adventure Park. We liked going through security there, and walking across the esplanade into Disneyland. That way we bypassed the long security lines in Downtown Disney.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful, it's styled after the Arts and Craft movement, the hotel looks somewhat like the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite. I have never had a bad room, every night there is turn down service, and they leave Disney chocolates on your pillow! Beds are comfy, free in room High speed Internet, if you don't have a laptop/computer with you, you can logon to one in the business center if you need too!

There is a small in room safe (you take the key) for small valuables; it’s big enough for jewelry and prescriptions you don’t want left out! Staff are very friendly, and willing to help you. I called house keeping for an extra box of tissues, I expected a long wait, but not more than five minutes they were at my door with tissue box in hand! This hotel has a great location; especially after a long day in the park it’s a short walk back to your room! I could go on for days about the GCH… Try it you once, and you’ll never want to stay anywhere else!

They have two beautiful pools: The Fountain pool, a large lap pool that has a really cute turtle fountain, and the Redwood pool, that has a 100 foot water-slide, styled around the stump of a giant fallen redwood tree – it’s really fun! They also have a mini slide for the tiny kids – they also supply life vests for the little ones as well. To access the pools you use your room key to enter, and the towels are provided for guests at a self serve towel cabana. They also have wait staff that will take your order for drinks - also nearby is White Water Snacks (cheap good food)!

Have a great trip wherever you decide to stay!

We've always stayed at the DLH - but we're trying the GC later this month. We like the PCH Grill at the PPH - but to us it has the feel of one of the old DL Area High Rise Hotels - nothing special (certainly nothing Disney) - although we know some folks who always stay there and say that it's excellent. My "problem" with the DLH right now - is that it's NOT that close with no tram service anymore (and the Monorail is either not running or is very limited). So - in terms of pure LOCATION - the GC cannot be beat. I have always said that if $$$ is no object - I would always stay at a DL Resort Hotel. When it comes down to it - it's just a room with a bed - but there *is* something extra that the surrounding places just don't have.

Just my $0.02. If you still can't decide - why not split the trip? 2 nights at the GC and 2 at the DLH. Then you will know for yourself what you prefer once and for all! I haven't done this at the DLR - but at WDW they will actually transport your luggage between resorts if you do this. Might want to check if this service exists at DL.

We prefer the DLH. We've stayed there 4 times and have always had clean, spacious rooms. One of the things we love is to sleep with the sliding glass doors to the balcony open a bit and in the early morning hours hearing everyone walking around getting an early start to their day at DL. Excitement in the air I suppose. Plus when we stay there we feel like we never leave DL.

• Your public awaits!

I would stay at the Disneyland Hotel for the value. I splurged on the Grand California last year. It is a truly beautiful hotel, but I spend so little time in the room that the cost wasn't worth it. I still stay occassionally on property, but op more often for the cheaper hotels as long as they are close to the parks.

• kevsgarden

The GCH is extremely overrated. The rooms are smaller than a Motel 6. I would recommend the DLH.

• That Guy

Save your money, stay at a better hotel, and go to the Hyatt, Doubletree, etc. Staying at a DLR hotel is so you can say, you stayed at a DLR hotel, IMHO.

If this is your only chance, and you won't be able to do this for awhile, then do GC.

GC is only going to get more expensive as the years roll on. So if you are willing to pay their rates, I wouldn't wait.

Also, keep in mind, at the Paradise Pier....you can get a view of the Electrical Parade at night.

You have to request that side of the Paradise Pier, though; and, I don't know if the Electrical Parade is even running when you'll be there.

I have friends who've done that and watched the whole thing from their room. Supposedly they pipe in the music too.

...if that type of thing appeals to you.

You've already received some great responses. I'm not sure that I can add anything to them other than to tell you about our experiences at the 3 hotels.
    We've made at least 2 trips a year since 2001, staying at DLR hotels each time: GC once, PP 3 times, and the rest at the DLH. Bottom line, I think that you can have a great experience in any of the 3 hotels, depending on the room/view you have.

Some specifics: GC is great in that it has a wonderful ambiance in keeping with the Arts and Crafts-style theme, and the rooms are quite well done with consistent, classy appointments (our son loved his bunk bed). We loved the pool and the lobby. As to our location...we both loved and endured it. We were at the very end of the furthest east building overlooking DD (loved the view). Our room was right above the World of Disney sign that's above the store entrance closest to the Parks. Our bellboy showed us the shortcut/emergency stairwell that exits between WoD and LaBrea Bakery. Loved the shortcut! But the stairwell only opens from the inside...and we dreaded the circuitous route we had to take to get back to the room from either park. I imagine a perfect room would be one closest to the pool areas providing quick access to the private DCA entrance (loved that too!) Today, even during our non-GC stays, we typically find time to wander in to admire the grounds and the beautiful lobby...especially to show it to friends and especially at Christmas-time!

The DLH is a much more Disney-immersive experience. You see and feel it everywhere from the moment you step on the curb and head toward check-in, around the great pool/restaurant area theming, past the topiary characters, in the tower lobbies with the constant musical reminders, in the carpet design, in the hallways with their formative renderings and paintings of the early conceptions of park attractions and features, and in each room with the Herb Ryman map on the face of the armoir and the Mickey "hands" holding the sconce lights in the bathroom...oh, and the glow-in-the-dark "pixie dust" trim along and around the top of the wall! With that said, I would always get a room that either overlooks the pool or Downtown Disney. Eschew the city-view rooms. On more than a couple of occasions, we've enjoyed the "white noise" of having a room in the Bonita tower overlooking the Falls. A lovely, calming way to fall asleep on a summer's night!
    Unfortunately, gone are the days when one could get an AP room for $79 (PP rates our first couple of trips), but for us, staying on-property at the resort, and enjoying the shops and restaurants of DD, has become as much a part of the trip as our time spent in the Parks. We would stay elsewhere if we absolutely HAD to, but it just wouldn't be the same experience.

When you return, let us know where you stayed and how it was! Have a great time!

We go to DL several times a year (also from the SF Bay Area) and only stay at DLR hotels (I know that is a debatable choice but I, personally, love the extra "Disney" feeling that staying onsite brings) and have stayed at all three. My heart belongs to the DLH - Sierra Tower on a higher floor so it is usually my choice. But you posted that this may be the only time you will get to stay at the GCH so I say go for it! The first time I stayed there years ago, I was slightly disappointed since it didn't feel "Disney" to me. I have grown to really like the hotel and my favorite room is the DTD view. I love to sit on the balcony in the morning with my coffee and watch DLR wake up! And then, of course, unwind in the evening with a little wino and watch the fireworks from the same balcony.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice but if you might stay at the DLH this summer, go for the GCH in April.
    EM EYE SEE KAY EE WHY EM OH YOU ES EE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12