Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disnoid

Am I the only one tired of the "something goes wrong" show type?

I'm new here so forgive me if this is an old topic.

The "something goes wrong" show type. The oldest I can think of offhand, and it seems among the best executed, is Mission to Mars. You're traveling through space and then something goes wrong, and you have to land back on earth. Pretty exciting, or at least it made a somewhat mundane ride interesting.

But you'll notice the concept has been used a lot if you're paying attention. You're on Star Tours and where are the brakes? Something goes wrong. Cool because it's Star Wars but now that something has been going wrong for a little over twenty years...

The others I can think of: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience and more recently Muppet Vision 3D and It's Tough to Be a Bug. There's probably 5 more I'm not thinking of.

Is it just me?
    We are now under way and proceeding on a course that will take us on a voyage of exploration through liquid space.

• 88 mph

Re: Am I the only one tired of the "something goes wrong" show type?

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpace View Post
    I'm new here so forgive me if this is an old topic.

The "something goes wrong" show type. The oldest I can think of offhand, and it seems among the best executed, is Mission to Mars. You're traveling through space and then something goes wrong, and you have to land back on earth. Pretty exciting, or at least it made a somewhat mundane ride interesting.

But you'll notice the concept has been used a lot if you're paying attention. You're on Star Tours and where are the brakes? Something goes wrong. Cool because it's Star Wars but now that something has been going wrong for a little over twenty years...

The others I can think of: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience and more recently Muppet Vision 3D and It's Tough to Be a Bug. There's probably 5 more I'm not thinking of.

Is it just me?
    Welcome to the Boards!

Its a subject that is needed for storytelling. Like Buzz's astroblaster. Something goes wrong and Zurg needs to be stopped. Your on a Runaway mine train on Big Thunder. Looked in the eyes of Indy, Toad, etc. etc. I guess everything running smoothly gets rather boring.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• no flash photography...

..or people are scared to try a new idea. It's easier to stick with what has worked in the past.

"Only a punch line." - Steve Martin

You must not like Universal Studios at all then. It's not only almost all "something goes wrong" but also destruction, destruction, destruction!

I'm not really tired of it. Don't want to see it in everything of course. But it's a common basic "down, up, and then back down" story concept. I mean...what fun is there when everything goes right? Jeez. We'd have a whole Park of nothing but Mark Twains and Peoplemovers. Zzzzzzz.

Good thing the Lifetime Channel doesn't have a theme park. My honey calls that "The Women In Peril Channel."

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    We'd have a whole Park of nothing but Mark Twains and Peoplemovers. Zzzzzzz.
    Actually I could actually live with that. Just make sure thers alot of interesting scenery

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Banned User

nothing goes horribly wrong in Pirates, Its a small world, and Haunted Mansion

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    nothing goes horribly wrong in Pirates, Its a small world, and Haunted Mansion
    Pirates i guess would be your in a time where you arent supposed to be. (SHip battle Crossfire, Dead men tell no tales), HM (9999 ghosts, room for one more), Small World (psychological torture)

-Adidas

• Comin' at ya!

It may seem cliche (and it is) but....It's just how stories get told. I can't see much story everything goes perfect.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

There are not a whole lot of other story lines that can make rides. I can think of many other possible story lines. Or many disney rides that are nor based on this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    It may seem cliche (and it is) but....It's just how stories get told. I can't see much story everything goes perfect.
    , but with disney all the stories always end perfect..*yawn*....the ruined the little mermaid story. I like the movie, but I was disappointedly they changed it so much. I prefect he original.

• Disnoid

All I'm saying is can you imagine Walt pitching this kind of idea? I can't.
    We are now under way and proceeding on a course that will take us on a voyage of exploration through liquid space.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

That what Disney Attraction all about it Tell a story.

Seaworld teach

magic mountain or rides.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Comin' at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpace View Post
    All I'm saying is can you imagine Walt pitching this kind of idea? I can't.
    Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty....I can.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

all of the dark rides have something go wrong in them.....storybook boats don't though......the sleeping beauty walk through sis have the story unfolding of when something went wrong.

• Lowering Expectations

I don't appreciate the "something goes wrong" show type if that's all there is to it. Perfect example: Honey I Shrunk the Audience - but then again, just about all 3-D films fit this genera. (Another perfect example - Stitch's Great Escape over in WDW.) In my experience they are all very non-repeatable.

I'm sure you're anxious to get sneezed on by a dog again. My point is, it's all in-your-face and no in-your-heart. There's nothing awe-inspiring or beautiful, really, about it.

The Muppet show left me cold because I was given no reason to care if the show went on or not. And it's true that the show should make you care. Good movies can make you do that.

Monsters Inc., on the other hand, I can live with, because even though "something goes terribly wrong in Monstropolis," we care about Boo and Mike and Sully.

Or another example is Indiana Jones. If that doesn't leave you in awe, I'm sorry but nothing will.

It's all about substance. Give us something to care about, something to root for, something to be amazed by or emotional about.

You can't blow up your audience and then expect them to appreciate it. Leave them feeling "Wow," not "Gee thanks."
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 03-05-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast