Page 102 of 135 FirstFirst ... 252779299100101102103104105112127 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2022

• Fighter Pilot

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

well I wouldn't trust any news or anything because for instance the subs are said to open June 11, a news station here in san diego actually said it offically opened the 6th which is wrong of course. And some people that rode the ride say the 2nd when they were pulling families to the side and asking to ride it will say it opened to them on the 2nd. Even DL it self is debated whether it opened the 17 or the 18th since one was for the press and the other for the public. I just like to say the mansion opened August of 69 play it safe
    Last edited by AwesomeMan33; 06-08-2007 at 03:25 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    well I wouldn't trust any news or anything because for instance the subs are said to open June 11, a news station here in san diego actually said it offically opened the 6th which is wrong of course. And some people that rode the ride say the 2nd when they were pulling families to the side and asking to ride it will say it opened to them on the 2nd. I just like to say the mansion opened August of 69 play it safe
    It's true that newspaper articles are often wrong, but the main thing with the HM is that an official, grand opening on Aug 9 just doesn't sit well with a whole raft of evidence that points to a later date. For one thing, you would have to conclude that the two biggest LA newspapers were announcing that a public event was taking place that very day, when in reality it had already occurred three days earlier! That's a bit much.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's true that newspaper articles are often wrong, but the main thing with the HM is that an official, grand opening on Aug 9 just doesn't sit well with a whole raft of evidence that points to a later date. For one thing, you would have to conclude that the two biggest LA newspapers were announcing that a public event was taking place that very day, when in reality it had already occurred three days earlier! That's a bit much.
    With more reliance on the accuracy of print news in the late sixties, I would give more credibility to newspaper accounts back when journalism degrees weren't sold to the highest bidder, and factual inaccuracies could cost one their job.

And look how well August 12 fits this report, from that earlier post:

"Came across your site recently - I think it's excellent! We were visiting LA in '69 and talked our parents into staying an extra day for the grand opening of the Mansion. It wasn't easy, as our mom was absolutely freaked out by the Tate murders that had occurred just a day or so earlier. [HBG2: They occurred Aug 9] Just a bit of trivia for you..." - Jeff Hines, Elk Grove, IL

It's probably nothing, but one comment in that LA Times article caught my eye. It mentions "stone cold chambers" in the new Haunted Mansion:

That could just be wrong, but if not, it raises the possibility that the blast of cold air they were planning for the endless hallway was actually functioning at the beginning:

We discussed the cold air effect earlier in the thread, beginning here: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

• Bats in the Belfry!

I think I should mention here that the last few times I went to WDW's Mansion, there was a blast of cold air right when you come around the corner in front of the endless hallway. It's really effective, and a neat touch. I wonder why it wouldn't be working at DL? Has anybody experienced it before?

-Adam-

Wherever hinges creak in doorless chambers...

Is it possible that the mansion had a soft opening earlier than the 12th?
    Perhaps that is where the confusion came from.

|~~Andy~~|

Quote Originally Posted by Mansion Staff View Post
    Is it possible that the mansion had a soft opening earlier than the 12th?
    Perhaps that is where the confusion came from.
    There was indeed a soft opening, and it was Aug 7th and 8th, 7 pm to midnight. I mentioned that in the earlier post as evidence that an official opening on the 9th (only hours after the soft opening ended???) makes very little sense: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

August 9th is dead. Long live August 12th.

I think I should mention here that the last few times I went to WDW's Mansion, there was a blast of cold air right when you come around the corner in front of the endless hallway. It's really effective, and a neat touch. I wonder why it wouldn't be working at DL? Has anybody experienced it before?
    I didn't know this. Anyone else want to weigh in on WDW's cold blast?

• Miss Marvel

If you want to see that Sandy Duncan/Ruth Buzzi Haunted Mansion skit in its entirety, it's now up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Ztv...elated&search=

They went to a lot of trouble for that thing. They removed the doombuggies and covered the slot with temporary flooring.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

It occurred to me how seldom you see photos of those guys. To this day, there are a number of underphotographed, underappreciated ghosts and effects in the HM. I'm sure that a lot of it is due to the sheer difficulty of capturing some of them with a camera, but for others I can't figure it out. Here's a short list:

--The first window in the changing portrait hall, with its nifty storm tableau
    --The window tableau behind the moving coffin in the conservatory
    --The window wraiths in the ballroom
    --The arriving guests below the wraiths get some, but not much, lens time
    --The guy on the mantlepiece and the Aunt Lucretia bust there
    --The cats
    --The owls
    --The crypt shroud by the opera singers
    --The blast-up in front of the tea party
    --The various loops of rising scrim wraiths in the graveyard

For some of these, I've never seen a single photo. For some others, maybe one, maybe two, of variable quality.
    The last time I rode mansion, last Sunday, I didnt' see the pop up. It comes out of the coffin with the arm and cup, correct? I watched it the whold time it was in my line of vision, and I never saw it. It's possible I missed it. Could it be possible it no longer exists?

Now that I think about it, I've been riding the mansion about once a week for the last month and a half, and although the last time was the only time I specifically looked for it, I've don't believe I ever saw it on those trips. I am a very jumpy, scaredy cat person, I think I would remember it if I saw it. (The ones in the attic terrified me.)

Does ANYONE have evidence that it still exists?
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Article on WDW HM's refurb
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm slightly worried that Kathy Rogers is involved--I'm not a fan of most of the POTC changes...
    But so far, everything we've heard about this HM update sounds great

They have a nice photo of some of the WDW HM musicians

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    The last time I rode mansion, last Sunday, I didnt' see the pop up. It comes out of the coffin with the arm and cup, correct? I watched it the whold time it was in my line of vision, and I never saw it. It's possible I missed it. Could it be possible it no longer exists?

Now that I think about it, I've been riding the mansion about once a week for the last month and a half, and although the last time was the only time I specifically looked for it, I've don't believe I ever saw it on those trips. I am a very jumpy, scaredy cat person, I think I would remember it if I saw it. (The ones in the attic terrified me.)

Does ANYONE have evidence that it still exists?
    The blastup by the tea party? It's still there. Scared the crap out of me last night. It's a tiny head and it comes out of the coffin with the arm, I believe.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

I'm glad to hear about the blast-up. Someone needs to get a pic before it really does disappear some day.

Smelly, great link. It occurs to me that if the WDW HM comes back from refurb with a number of unique features, that will distinguish it further not only from DL but also from Tokyo, which is so similar. It would be cool to have all four Mansions with distinctive personalities. Tokyo could end up as the most traditional of them all.

Another easy trivia question this time.

Here's Marc Davis's concept paintings for the four stretchroom portraits:

And here's what the actual portraits in the HM look like:

Obviously they are different. That's not unusual. But it's not really 100% accurate to call Davis's versions "concept art." Why not? (Told you this was an easy one...)

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The blastup by the tea party? It's still there. Scared the crap out of me last night. It's a tiny head and it comes out of the coffin with the arm, I believe.
    Excellent. I'll keep looking. I'd take a pic, but I only have a point and shoot. I don't think the shutters fast enough.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle