Page 103 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3537893100101102103104105106113128 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2022

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The blastup by the tea party? It's still there. Scared the crap out of me last night. It's a tiny head and it comes out of the coffin with the arm, I believe.
    I'm here to confirm Bass Bone.

I was there last night and the blast up is indeed still there.

Chad

• Inhospitable about happy

Hey, a reminder and a request for you frequent DL visitors: we Thread-heads would dearly love to get a stop-watch time from "Do not pull down" to "hahahaaa." Cell phones typically have a stopwatch function somewhere. I'm curious to see if the ride really is substantially faster now, as some are saying.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Another easy trivia question this time.

Here's Marc Davis's concept paintings for the four stretchroom portraits:

And here's what the actual portraits in the HM look like:

Obviously they are different. That's not unusual. But it's not really 100% accurate to call Davis's versions "concept art." Why not? (Told you this was an easy one...)
    They're redone by different artists each time the paintings are replaced. Since each artist has their own style, they will put their own flair on the piece they are making.
    dreams. come. true.

You're right that they are all hand-painted, and therefore different artists have produced them over the years, but the reason it's a bit of a misnomer to call Marc Davis's originals "concept paintings" is because they were the ones they actually used in the HM when it first opened. [Correction: According to GRD, Davis did not personally paint the first ones, but they were based very closely on his designs, unlike the ones that followed that set.]

How long were the Davis originals in use? They were still there when they filmed the Osmonds special (which I think was around Jan-Feb 1970), and the stretchroom portraits only last about a year [edit: actually, several years] before they need replacing, so sometime between six months and a [couple of] year[s] after the HM opened is the probable time they were removed.

Last edited by HBG2; 06-16-2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: correcting factual errors

• is too darn hot.

What happens to the portraits after they're removed? Does someone keep them or are they just thrown away? I'd love to have one in my room....
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

good question....I wanna know too...lol

• Grumpy old man

There is a set with the Disney museum exhibit that was traveling around last year, not sure if those were replicas or old ones from the ride though.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

How long were the Davis originals in use? They were still there when they filmed the Osmonds special (which I think was around Jan-Feb 1970), and the stretchroom portraits only last about a year before they need replacing, so sometime between six months and a year after the HM opened is the probable time they were removed.
    I've asked the cast members at the Mansion several times about this, including one of the leads, and they say this isn't the case. The most recent lead I questioned claimed the canvases currently hanging in the Stretching Chamber have been there for many years now, and it certainly does look like it. The Tightrope-Walker in the right chamber is in especially bad condition, as her portrait has been visibly damaged for quite some time now. Her paint looks like it's flaking off, and the edges of the canvas are frayed. (The Tightrope-Walker is the only canvas I ever watch stretch, so I'm less aware of the conditions of the other three). Anyway, I asked the lead whether they'd be getting rid of such a damaged canvas and be replacing it soon, and he replied, "No, they never get rid of these canvases. They just repaint the same ones when they can't put it off any longer." He also said they don't even take out the four normal stretching portraits when they install the Haunted Mansion Holiday paintings; they just put the Holiday ones over the normal canvases.

My whole reason for inquiring about this was to find out if there was a possibility of getting an old beaten-up canvas of the Tightrope-Walker once they had to discard it, but those hopes seem to have been shot down for now. I'm going there again today, so I'll try asking the cast members again and see if I can get a different answer.

Btw, if anyone has a better official name for the Tightrope-Walker than what I've resorted to calling her, please let me know.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Lady View Post
    I've asked the cast members at the Mansion several times about this, including one of the leads, and they say this isn't the case. The most recent lead I questioned claimed the canvases currently hanging in the Stretching Chamber have been there for many years now, and it certainly does look like it. The Tightrope-Walker in the right chamber is in especially bad condition, as her portrait has been visibly damaged for quite some time now. Her paint looks like it's flaking off, and the edges of the canvas are frayed. (The Tightrope-Walker is the only canvas I ever watch stretch, so I'm less aware of the conditions of the other three). Anyway, I asked the lead whether they'd be getting rid of such a damaged canvas and be replacing it soon, and he replied, "No, they never get rid of these canvases. They just repaint the same ones when they can't put it off any longer." He also said they don't even take out the four normal stretching portraits when they install the Haunted Mansion Holiday paintings; they just put the Holiday ones over the normal canvases.

My whole reason for inquiring about this was to find out if there was a possibility of getting an old beaten-up canvas of the Tightrope-Walker once they had to discard it, but those hopes seem to have been shot down for now. I'm going there again today, so I'll try asking the cast members again and see if I can get a different answer.

Btw, if anyone has a better official name for the Tightrope-Walker than what I've resorted to calling her, please let me know.
    Do you have any pics of the damage?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Do you have any pics of the damage?
    I'll get 'em today. That is, if I get the stretching chamber on the right. I might not be able to go on more than once if I get the room on the left, but I'll try.

Btw, the Tightrope-Walker on the left is in pretty much pristine condition compared to the one on the right. She also has a prettier face and a nicer expression, among the many differences.

• It's all about Theme!

I'll get 'em today. That is, if I get the stretching chamber on the right. I might not be able to go on more than once if I get the room on the left, but I'll try.

Btw, the Tightrope-Walker on the left is in pretty much pristine condition compared to the one on the right. She also has a prettier face and a nicer expression, among the many differences.
    Sorry, can you also get a comparison too? Thanks!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Other name I've heard for the tightrope walker is Lily Equipnos.

Chad

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

That could just be wrong, but if not, it raises the possibility that the blast of cold air they were planning for the endless hallway was actually functioning at the beginning:

We discussed the cold air effect earlier in the thread, beginning here: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    It is probably just faulty memory, but I distinctly remember a cold-air feeling in that area in the early 90's. I wouldn't describe it as a "blast" per say, but simply a distinct change in temperature.

Maybe tried to fix it / return it in of the "rehabs" that took place around that time?
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

maybe it is just an air conditioning vent.....that just happens to be in that spot???

I've asked the cast members at the Mansion several times about this, including one of the leads, and they say this isn't the case. The most recent lead I questioned claimed the canvases currently hanging in the Stretching Chamber have been there for many years now, and it certainly does look like it [....] Anyway, I asked the lead whether they'd be getting rid of such a damaged canvas and be replacing it soon, and he replied, "No, they never get rid of these canvases. They just repaint the same ones when they can't put it off any longer."[...]

I was off in my estimate of the lifespan of the paintings. Rather than saying they last "only about a year," I should have said they get replaced "every couple of years" in my post. Here's what it says at Doombuggies.com:

The constant motion these paintings undergo (as part of the "stretching" process) is hard on the canvas, and every couple of years a new painting may be needed. These images are repainted using rough guides and color keys for reference. Therefore, each new image contains the touch of the artist completing it.
    http://www.doombuggies.com/secrets_gallery.htm

In Jason Surrell's HM book, you can see on page 38 a multiple set of tightrope gal stretching portraits being prepared for shipment to the Tokyo HM, so they do replace them as they get worn out.

I am told that they normally destroy the worn out copies. That may horrify you, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Since they replace them every few years, if they were to let the old copies make their way into the collectors' market on a regular basis, the market would become increasingly glutted over time, and the cost of a stretchroom canvas would steadily drop, until some clown could buy one for $100 and put it up in his topless bar or something. By keeping items like that scarce, Disney guarantees that only genuine Disneyphiles will purchase them.

As for an official name for alligator gal, I've never heard one. I would think that her first name should be Daisy, since her dress has daisies all over it. How about Daisy Tippfodder?

Hypertrivia: Gator Gal is the only one of the four portraits with no writing on it.