Page 113 of 135 FirstFirst ... 136388103110111112113114115116123 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2022

• is too darn hot.

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

So I managed to ride the Mansion twice tonight and got two times from the moment the safety bar came down to the final GH laugh and got two slightly different times:

The first was 5:27.24 with a couple slowed down handicapped moments. I also had to stop the timer a couple times for some rowdy teenagers (one of whom popped a stink bomb in my stretching room... Not pleasant at all).

The second time was 5:21.27 all the way through with no stops or speed changes. Going on Mansion right before closing is awesome, by the way. I shared a stretching room with 5 people and had a long stretch of empty doombuggies ahead of and behind me. It was supremely creepy and really enjoyable.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks Bassbone,

How could my timing be so off? Hmmm, more studies will need to be done. Stop watch time next ride for me.

Chad

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    So I managed to ride the Mansion twice tonight and got two times from the moment the safety bar came down to the final GH laugh and got two slightly different times:

The first was 5:27.24 with a couple slowed down handicapped moments. I also had to stop the timer a couple times for some rowdy teenagers (one of whom popped a stink bomb in my stretching room... Not pleasant at all).

The second time was 5:21.27 all the way through with no stops or speed changes. Going on Mansion right before closing is awesome, by the way. I shared a stretching room with 5 people and had a long stretch of empty doombuggies ahead of and behind me. It was supremely creepy and really enjoyable.
    Excellent. If we take your second time as more reliable and round it to 5:22, we can compare it to our 1976 time (6:20) and @2000 time (5:53). The difference is about a minute with the first (58 sec) and half a minute with the second (31 sec). If we call the two old recordings the same and attribute the difference to tape speeds and average them, then BassBone's time is 3/4 of a minute faster (45 sec).

12.5 % faster now.

Before we get all huffy, however, consider that if the older tapes are significantly slow, it could be throwing this whole experiment off. My 1976 tape is a copy of the original. The original tape recorder could have been slow, and the one that made my copy could have been too, and made it worse. If we really wanted this to be scientific, the thing to do would be to make a new recording of the whole ride and use one of the longer Paul Frees monologues in it to match the speeds of the two tapes to each other, using a tape recorder with variable speed control. Once the two were synchronized, without either gaining on the other, then we could time the bar-down to bar-up speeds and compare. If I had a recent recording on a cassette, I'd probably do it, now that we have been getting something better than anecdotal evidence that the ride may be running faster.

As for the magic of riding the HM with hardly anyone in there...YES. One trick I've used when it's crowded is to position myself to be last out of the stretchroom, and then lag behind, until everyone has gone around the bend. If the CM's aren't paying much attention, you can have a few moments to yourself in the portrait hall. Stormy landscape and lightning in the windows, paintings eerily flickering, busts staring, spooky music playing--my favorite spot in all of Disneyland.

• Fighter Pilot

of course at night theres no lines outside, the trick is to time it when theres a line to see if theres different speeds. So take a few more times during the day

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    of course at night theres no lines outside, the trick is to time it when theres a line to see if theres different speeds. So take a few more times during the day
    One of our CM readers could tell us instantly whether or not they routinely use speed controls nowadays to move people through faster when it's crowded. They either do that or they don't. If they don't, then the question is whether an executive decision has ever been made in the past to crank it up permanently.

Of course, if the CM's are not at liberty to divulge this info, then you're right, making multiple timings under various circumstances would be the only way to verify.

• Fighter Pilot

I would think if a CM could tell us, it would have popped up back a couple pages

In the meantime, here's another look at the Museum of the Weird. At one point, Rolly Crump conceived of the main room being the sťance room, with various animated pieces all around the perimeter. This concept sketch, which I've posted before, reflects that idea:

What's fun is that several items in this sketch are recognizable in individual sketches, where you can see a lot more detail. Some of these you can find in Surrell's HM book, but others are not seen very often, so here y'go:

Also, the table in that sťance room sketch seems to be based on the chandelier in this other MW sketch. I can't get a good scan, but you can find it in Surrell's book, p 27:

Incidentally, the snake heads on that chandelier remind me of one of the wallpaper demons, which is hardly surprising, of course, since it is also a Rolly Crump design:

Finally, you may have seen this Museum of the Weird aquarium at DB.com:

But you may not have seen this one that goes with it:

Rolly Crump rules.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-25-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: improved image files

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Those are so awesome HBG. I hadn't seen the one of the man-eating plant. Love that stuff and yes, Rolly Crump is a Disney God.

Chad

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I always loved the Marc Davis sketches of the haunted "trophy" room with the stuffed heads on the wall--you have those, HB?

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I always loved the Marc Davis sketches of the haunted "trophy" room with the stuffed heads on the wall--you have those, HB?
    Are you thinking of this one? I haven't got a good scan, but GRD does, since he had this up on his blog a couple of Sundays ago.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Stupid question, in retrospect--thanks to you both on this one!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

HBG is like The Beatles of the Haunted Mansion. Ask him to play a hit and it's posted within minutes!

Bravo Sir!

Chad

Hmmm. Maybe that gag got nixed for fear of offending Thurl "Tony the Tiger" Ravenscroft.

"Hey Thurl, take a look at this sketch of Marc's. Ha! Some of those look like your alter ego. Whaddya think about that?"
    "It stiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIINNKS!"

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
    If only, if only, I could have married into the Crump family.
    Stupid teenage romances and their not lasting-ness!!

Of all of the people who worked on Mansion, I have to say that the person I most admire is Atencio for his huge amount of work on the ride: concept art, music composing, script writing....he is generally credited with a lot more than most initially think. Heck, he even does the 'emergency' spiels!
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
    If only, if only, I could have married into the Crump family.
    Stupid teenage romances and their not lasting-ness!!

Of all of the people who worked on Mansion, I have to say that the person I most admire is Atencio for his huge amount of work on the ride: concept art, music composing, script writing....he is generally credited with a lot more than most initially think. Heck, he even does the 'emergency' spiels!
    Yeah, and X is also a great example of Walt's real genius. He saw under-utilized talents in Atencio that no one else apparently saw, and he gave him responsibilities that pushed him way outside the roles he was used to and was comfortable with.