Page 12 of 135 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415223762112 ... LastLast

• Awaken the spirits

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The blast-ups were smaller. They were basically masks that were blasted up on a jet of air, and then slid back down, guided by two wires. Here's a photo sequence:

As for styles of pop-ups, according to what GRD has told me there used to quite a variety, but now there are only around four or five types out there. One of those does look like the "leering skull" used for Ezra (the tall HHG), also HBG, plus a few pix in the COD.
    Oh wow! I never knew the blast-ups were so detailed. They usually went too fast for me to see so I just always saw these little white blobs. I never kenw they were a mask.

And here's a really stupid question: If we can see the ghosts because of Madame Leota, why can we see Madame Leota? Is it some kind of barrier between dimensions or something, and she's strong enough to break through? Or is it because the other ghosts had to manipulate something for us to know of their presence (like the doors and coffin) and she's manipulating the crystal ball?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I have some pictures of the blast ups, but... can't post them! So, I did these quick photoshop jobs of what they kinda look like. It was quick, plus I don't have a tablet. So... yeah, not the greatest representations. These two are the ones not seen as an organ banshee.

The second one is more wrinkled and doesn't look so much like the organ banshee as it does here. But hey... its a rushed Photoshop job.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Madame_Leota View Post
    If we can see the ghosts because of Madame Leota, why can we see Madame Leota? Is it some kind of barrier between dimensions or something, and she's strong enough to break through? Or is it because the other ghosts had to manipulate something for us to know of their presence (like the doors and coffin) and she's manipulating the crystal ball?
    Another good question! I would speculate that it's because she was a medium in her earthly life and therefore had acquired knowledge of spells and secrets that gave her an edge in the afterlife, allowing her to break through, at least partly. That's just a guess off the top of my head (which means it's right here in my hatbox, you know).

Since this thread has morphed into a free-for-all extravaganza of HM esoteria, here's an interesting website that's been abandoned for four years or so. You could prowl around the Web all day and never stumble on to it, so bookmark it if you're a hardcore HM fan. It's got lots of pictures of the WDW HM (as of 2003), but most especially check out the section on the attic. Lots of curios and obscure goodies:

http://www.hauntedmansion.info/index.asp

• Awaken the spirits

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    I have some pictures of the blast ups, but... can't post them! So, I did these quick photoshop jobs of what they kinda look like. It was quick, plus I don't have a tablet. So... yeah, not the greatest representations. These two are the ones not seen as an organ banshee.

The second one is more wrinkled and doesn't look so much like the organ banshee as it does here. But hey... its a rushed Photoshop job.
    That's pretty good work for not having a tablet! I'm an artist so I can tell you how hard it was for me before I had my tablet....but now I'm spoiled with my tablet.

And Hat Box, thanks for that link!

• Can see my car from here

The blast-ups were smaller. They were basically masks that were blasted up on a jet of air, and then slid back down, guided by two wires. Here's a photo sequence:

As for styles of pop-ups, according to what GRD has told me there used to quite a variety, but now there are only around four or five types out there. One of those does look like the "leering skull" used for Ezra (the tall HHG), also HBG, plus a few pix in the COD.
    I remember these "blast-ups" too. And I also remember hearing the "explosion" of air as they shot up into view. Someone posted earlier about the screams being louder back then, which I seem to remember as well, and I wonder if the volume was purposely loud to help mask the sound of the air blasts...possible?
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Madame L, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    I remember these "blast-ups" too. And I also remember hearing the "explosion" of air as they shot up into view. Someone posted earlier about the screams being louder back then, which I seem to remember as well, and I wonder if the volume was purposely loud to help mask the sound of the air blasts...possible?
    First, that's a killer avatar you've got there.
    Second, your theory sounds reasonable to me.

I've always thought, btw, that the blast-ups were far superior to the head-on-a-stick variety of pop-ups.

• Awaken the spirits

I've always thought, btw, that the blast-ups were far superior to the head-on-a-stick variety of pop-ups.
    The head-on-a-stick ones were funny though because they would pop-up and their cover would lift up and you could see that it was really just a head-on-a-stick. When I say "funny" I meant in a cheesy kind of way...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The air blast ups were much scarier. When I was young the scary mask pop-up made me crouch down in my doombuggy. There is still an air popup by the tea drinking ghosts in the graveyard. Correct me if that is wrong.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Madame_Leota View Post
    The head-on-a-stick ones were funny though because they would pop-up and their cover would lift up and you could see that it was really just a head-on-a-stick. When I say "funny" I meant in a cheesy kind of way...
    They are cheesy, but as Chef Mayhem correctly points out in the course of his tour and commentary on the HM over at DB.com, those pop-ups are a way of paying tribute to the HM's roots. They are an obvious borrowing from the spook-house dark rides still clattering away on boardwalks and midway amusement parks all over the country, smelling of stale cotten candy and loaded with bad taste.

aashee: The air blast ups were much scarier. When I was young the scary mask pop-up made me crouch down in my doombuggy. There is still an air popup by the tea drinking ghosts in the graveyard. Correct me if that is wrong.
    Hmmm. I don't think there are any blast-ups in the graveyard, only pop-ups.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

most of the heads have been used more then once i'll find you a link
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.com/

scroll down to were it say multi purpose faces
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

Hmmm. I don't think there are any blast-ups in the graveyard, only pop-ups.
    I think there's one in front of the Hearse Tea Party scene.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Thrax - Thanks for the link to my blog!

MikeSwine is correct about the blast up in front of the Tea Party. There is an arm coming out with a cup of tea and the blast up is right there. I am pretty sure at WDW, there is just a popup version though in its place. But then again, at one point in time, WDW used to have the blast ups as well...

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Thrax - Thanks for the link to my blog!

MikeSwine is correct about the blast up in front of the Tea Party. There is an arm coming out with a cup of tea and the blast up is right there. I am pretty sure at WDW, there is just a popup version though in its place. But then again, at one point in time, WDW used to have the blast ups as well...
    Well, cool; I stand corrected! Hey, am I wrong in thinking, then, that that is the sole surviving HM blast-up in the USA?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Well, cool; I stand corrected! Hey, am I wrong in thinking, then, that that is the sole surviving HM blast-up in the USA?
    I just feel good I knew something HBG2 didn't! Kinda like beating that guy Jennings on Jeopardy.

Back to the dualing pictures in the ball room. I did read that the painting on the right lost the dual. It was mentioned that you could actually see him losing briefly by a move he made. Since reading that I have watched intently to see if that was the case. I, for the life of me, can't see the one gun-toting ghost lose. Anyone else know anything about this??

Chad