Page 128 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2878103118125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2022

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Well I only went on the one time, and I was a bit busy what with the knocking on the doombuggies on either side (filled with people I knew, of course).... So I might have just missed it.
    Part of me regrets not doing the 13 haunts thing also on Friday, but that's a tad bit too Scooby Doo for me to handle....maybe in October, eh?
    Sounds great Bellhop!

I hope it isn't closed on Halloween for HMH refurb!

Chad

• Fighter Pilot

no cause its opening Sept 21

• A Honorary Autobot

The door just leads to the 'I-am-a-chicken' hallway exit.
    The pet cemetary was called "Tim Burton-ish" because of the style of it, not because of HMH. It's dark but not too dark for the kiddies, like most of Burton's films. ...Okay, so the same level of darkness as like The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Corpse Bride, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    First, sorry for bringing this up from four pages back. I was gone on business...

I first decreed the forward pet cemetery as being "Tim Burton-esque" because of yes, the style, but not because of it's accessibility to children. Burton is renowned for imposing his personal artistic style (he routinely draws and sketches character design, setting, props, and backdrops for the production department), and so it is with the mansion, sadly enough.

Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" was rife with his personal artistic flair. If you believe the setting of "Nightmare" to be unique, I challenge you to bear through a screening of "Monkey Bone," a film where, unfortunately, the studio executives allowed complete creative control to Mr. Burton. A film, which ultimately flopped.

As DL was preparing for the HMH, Imagineers dragged out a handful of the original pet cemetery headstones to the forefront. In addition to the classic monuments, a selection of heavily stylized headstones and grave markers were crafted. None of these stones bare any similarities to the others, nor do they wield the characteristic catchy rhyming epitaph.

The heavily Gothic collection of dead snakes, lizards, and spiders are misplaced among a family of cats, a frog, squirrel, and labrador retriever. I say remove the Burton-styled stones, move the originals back to their backyard location, and give us one of the following:

1) A collection of headstones marking the names and dates of Constance's passed spouses.

2) Master Gracey's plot replete with a freshly cut red rose and fresh earth plot.

3) Madame Leota's interactive headstone (identical to WDW's).

4) A weed-covered abandoned well. As visitors lean closer, the faint rattle of a distant heat beat will echo from below. (For our savvy HM fanatics, you will remember this as the final "gag" planned by the Imagineers as riders exited the ride).

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    First, sorry for bringing this up from four pages back. I was gone on business...

I first decreed the forward pet cemetery as being "Tim Burton-esque" because of yes, the style, but not because of it's accessibility to children. Burton is renowned for imposing his personal artistic style (he routinely draws and sketches character design, setting, props, and backdrops for the production department), and so it is with the mansion, sadly enough.

Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" was rife with his personal artistic flair. If you believe the setting of "Nightmare" to be unique, I challenge you to bear through a screening of "Monkey Bone," a film where, unfortunately, the studio executives allowed complete creative control to Mr. Burton. A film, which ultimately flopped.

As DL was preparing for the HMH, Imagineers dragged out a handful of the original pet cemetery headstones to the forefront. In addition to the classic monuments, a selection of heavily stylized headstones and grave markers were crafted. None of these stones bare any similarities to the others, nor do they wield the characteristic catchy rhyming epitaph.

The heavily Gothic collection of dead snakes, lizards, and spiders are misplaced among a family of cats, a frog, squirrel, and labrador retriever. I say remove the Burton-styled stones, move the originals back to their backyard location, and give us one of the following:

1) A collection of headstones marking the names and dates of Constance's passed spouses.

2) Master Gracey's plot replete with a freshly cut red rose and fresh earth plot.

3) Madame Leota's interactive headstone (identical to WDW's).

4) A weed-covered abandoned well. As visitors lean closer, the faint rattle of a distant heat beat will echo from below. (For our savvy HM fanatics, you will remember this as the final "gag" planned by the Imagineers as riders exited the ride).

I reread that and what I meant didn't come out clear. What I meant was that the HM is a balance between spooky and fun, so as it's not horribly scary for the kids, and that the pet cemetary was that same balance between spooky and fun. I see now what you meant also.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

So in your eye, Tim Burton=bad, no?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Inhospitable about happy

The heavily Gothic collection of dead snakes, lizards, and spiders are misplaced among a family of cats, a frog, squirrel, and labrador retriever.
    If I understand this part of your remarks correctly, there's a chronological problem. The "new" pet cemetery was installed in 1995 Edit: actually, 1993), I believe, and the first NBC overlay did not appear until six years later, in 2001. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the Imagineers "dragged out a handful of the original pet cemetery headstones," since there are only four animal sculptures in the old, original, largely unknown pet cemetery (a cat, a frog, a skunk, a dog), and these were just stock pieces bought commercially, not Disney-designed (notice the squirt hole in the frog's mouth). Also, contrary to what you say, several of the 1995 1993 pet cemetery stones do indeed have "catchy, rhyming" epitaphs:

In Memory of My Rat
    Whom I Loved
    Now He Resides
    In the Realms Up Above

Here lies
    Long Legged Jeb
    Got tangled up
    in his very own web

Here lies my snake
    whose fatal mistake
    was frightening the gardener
    who carried a rake

Having said that, some of the concept art for the pet cemetery does have a certain Burtonesque quality:

But this artwork would date from only a year or two after Nightmare Before Christmas was released, and I would be surprised if the NBC overlay at the HM was already a done deal and in the works that early. Edit: It predates the movie
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2007 at 02:38 PM.

If you believe the setting of "Nightmare" to be unique, I challenge you to bear through a screening of "Monkey Bone," a film where, unfortunately, the studio executives allowed complete creative control to Mr. Burton. A film, which ultimately flopped.
    Tim Burton wasn't involved with Monkeybone
    That was Henry Selick, who directed Nightmare Before Christmas

• Down Under without Nemo..

Interesting in this shot, if you look at the bottom of the picture, just above the level of the ceiling cornice, you can see the top of the stretching room wallpapered wall which is in the attic sticking up above the scrim (and therefore above ceiling level)

DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Having said that, some of the concept art for the pet cemetery does have a certain Burtonesque quality:

But this artwork would date from only a year or two after Nightmare Before Christmas was released, and I would be surprised if the NBC overlay at the HM was already a done deal and in the works that early.
    I wouldn't doubt that because of the succcess of TNBC, the artists might have used Burton's art style as an inspiration for some of the pieces that ended up being used.
    dreams. come. true.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

If I am not mistaken, one of the key Imagineers on the new pet cemetery project was Kim Irvine, daughter of Madame Leota, and also now face of HMH Leota.

I wouldn't doubt that because of the succcess of TNBC, the artists might have used Burton's art style as an inspiration for some of the pieces that ended up being used.
    And the only problem with that theory is that TNBC was not a big success when it was first came out. It was a critical success, but it put in a mediocre box office performance. It was only when it was released on video that it started to build a cult following, and it only came to be recognized as an offbeat classic years after its initial release.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, one of the key Imagineers on the new pet cemetery project was Kim Irvine, daughter of Madame Leota, and also now face of HMH Leota.
    Oooh, that sounds vaguely familiar. Can't quite place the source, but it sounds right. [Edit: it's in Surrell, p. 48] If it's true, it would be hard to question the Imagineering "bloodline" of the pet cemetery, although Alice Davis, for one, is on record as not liking it.

********break*********

Well, I might as well tell all you Thread-heads that when this thread maxes out, I'll be going into semi-retirement. It's been a blast, but I feel that I've pretty much shot my wad of goodies, and I NEED to devote more hours to my dissertation and less hours to fun on the Net. I had no idea that a post on a long-forgotten special effect would evolve into something like a pseudo-blog.

The Thread will be history, but GRD's blog will still keep throwing out those obscure HM goodies for us to enjoy. I'll still post stuff as it occurs to me like any other HM fanatic, and of course anyone who wants to launch a Thread Two is welcome to do so, but I won't be the daily chatterbox and hand-on-the-helm that I've been for the past several months.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-17-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added note

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

And the only problem with that theory is that TNBC was not a big success when it was first came out. It was a critical success, but it put in a mediocre box office performance. It was only when it was released on video that it started to build a cult following, and it only came to be recognized as an offbeat classic years after its initial release.
    Which would explain why I've always known it to be as big as it is.

The Thread....we're in the home stretch folks....
    And on that note, I don't know what else to say.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

Oooh, that sounds vaguely familiar. Can't quite place the source, but it sounds right. If it's true, it would be hard to question the Imagineering "bloodline" of the pet cemetery, although Alice Davis, for one, is on record as not liking it.

********break*********

Well, I might as well tell all you Thread-heads that when this thread maxes out, I'll be going into semi-retirement. It's been a blast, but I feel that I've pretty much shot my wad of goodies, and I NEED to devote more hours to my dissertation and less hours to fun on the Net. I had no idea that a post on a long-forgotten special effect would evolve into something like a pseudo-blog.

The Thread will be history, but GRD's blog will still keep throwing out those obscure HM goodies for us to enjoy. I'll still post stuff as it occurs to me like any other HM fanatic, and of course anyone who wants to launch a Thread Two is welcome to do so, but I won't be the daily chatterbox and hand-on-the-helm that I've been for the past several months.
    We'll miss you.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Have you seen some of the early concepts for HM when they were going to have it be the Museum of the Weird?

They look almost like that.