Page 129 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2979104119126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2022

• =)

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

A good point...but a purely academic one, since the design aesthetic of the Museum of the Weird died along with the idea for the ride. I think the original point being made was that there is a current "look" to the mansion's outside and inside, and breaking that design ethic with things that are overtly different just feels a little bit like going to see the Mona Lisa at the Louvre but finding it framed with something tacky, unexpected, and altogether inappropriate to the art of the Italian Renaissance. I agree, designs like those would be great for something along the lines of the Museum of the Weird...but not for the attraction as it was actually built.

And for the record...I'm glad we didn't get the Museum of the Weird. The idea just strikes me as a little too "out there." I like the creepy-but-kooky haunted house ride that we got instead.

EDIT: Looking back at your post, I'm realizing you probably weren't trying to tell us that the mansion should be converted to the Museum of the Weird. I made it sound a little like that. I guess all you're saying is that the Burton-esque designs could have had roots closer to the mansion's history, which I'd say isn't far-fetched at all. After all, unused ideas do tend to sprout up again later.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post

EDIT: Looking back at your post, I'm realizing you probably weren't trying to tell us that the mansion should be converted to the Museum of the Weird. I made it sound a little like that. I guess all you're saying is that the Burton-esque designs could have had roots closer to the mansion's history, which I'd say isn't far-fetched at all. After all, unused ideas do tend to sprout up again later.
    Yes that is what I am saying...

when my brother and I were watching the tenth anniversary episode of Disneyland the show they were showing off the new attractions and HM came up. We noticed that a few of the items looked like something Tim Burton would have come up with.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    WARNING: VERY DORKY/GEEKY/NERDY POST AHEAD

PICKWICK - DL
    http://magicinpixels.stormhosts.net/...ansion_030.jpg
    PICKWICK - WDW
    http://magicinpixels.stormhosts.net/...sion_04900.jpg

WDW Pickwick.

GUS IN DOOM BUGGY - DL
    http://magicinpixels.stormhosts.net/...ansion_043.jpg
    GUS IN DOOM BUGGY - WDW
    http://magicinpixels.stormhosts.net/...sion_05900.jpg
    http://magicinpixels.stormhosts.net/...sion_06100.jpg

DL Gus...WDW's looks like a muppet
    Note the many faces of Gus
    What was imagineering thinking with the hair? The long, frizzed, half domed hair that now resides on Dl's Ezra and now Pickwick? Not to mention poor Gus's new do.
    I really hate it. It is sad.

Check out the dreads on WDW's Gus though. LOL

I'll be sorry to see the thread stop, but it has been a fantastic read and great learning experience.

Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm glad they didn't do the Museum of the Weird. People can't shut up when they are in the foyer or stretching gallery. What's going to make them shut up if the entire mansion was a walk through?

• Inhospitable about happy

A few notes on the Museum of the Weird. It was Walt's own idea, and the only thing that derailed it was the decision to make the HM a ride instead of a walk-thru. That decision wasn't made until 1967, so any notion of the MW as one of those "early" ideas that was subsequently discarded doesn't quite do it justice.

The MW was never going to be THE main show. I believe the MW was originally conceived as a post-show, something for folks to mill around and look at after the Mansion tour. Then it was decided to make it a preshow, something for folks to look at while waiting for their turn. As a show concept, the closest thing to the MW is the Tiki Room preshow: interesting stuff to look at, with periodic animations.

Finally, I agree completely with Alex Loup, and I have to say it's fun to see independent confirmation for a notion I've had a long time (I posted about this at DB years ago): I see a lot of overlap between Tim Burton's style and Rolly Crump's style. I went so far as to suggest that the reason the NBC overlay struck the Imagineers as a crazy-but-good idea was that Rolly's stylistic influence, still present as part of the HM's mix, made a nice fit with Burton's.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I can say that, from some artwork I have seen of some Rolly Crump designed Tombstones, they could have easily been designed off of his work more than Tim Burton's, but I definately see how there could be mistake off of Tim Burton's own work as well.

• A Honorary Autobot

Allow me to clarify; the original pet cemetery - though, yes, more common, commercial statuettes (namely, the frog fountain) - did feature rhyming epitaphs akin to those that ordained the hillside beforehand. The new Burton-inspired headstones and placards do not.

I feel the overall design of headstones and their lack of classic rhyming whimsy makes their presence disharmonious. Additionally, the additional bats, snakes, spiders, etc. (while being conventional pets) are somewhat revealing of what lies inside the mansion's walls. More typical pets as dogs, cats, frogs (except maybe a squirrel), along with the previous headstones (for which this tangent was sprouted from) all denote some level of normalcy.

The berm and facade of the mansion is wholly normal. Having lived in the south, married a southerner, and being a HM fan, mansions similar to that of the NOS HM are commonplace and many happen to look nearly identical to it (see attached photo). It is only inside that the mansion's secret is revealed. Wearing down the mansion's cover to hint or peak at what lays inside is exactly what Walt wanted to avoid.

I believe that Tokyo's facade, though nearly identical from WDW veers more from this maxim than the Phantom Manor. While Walt wanted the park's appearance to be clean and kept, exactly unlike the PM, the Tokyo HM goes only a slight step further, by animating (though slightly) the entrance gargoyles. This, I believe, is akin (though off by a large degree) to positioning a fully-articulate Ezra at the entrance beckoning visitors inside.

Ah crap. Yeah, I just went back and reread the previous posts and realized that yes, the new Burton-styled headstones do feature rhyming epitaphs. So much for that argument. Anyways, I stand by my other points.
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 07-17-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Humiliating defeat

• Beach Expert

Question on the HHG's.

Sunday I was riding and it stalled temproarily in front of the mirrors. The HHG's in the mirrors gradually slowed down and stopped moving when the doombuggies finally stopped. They did start up again once the ride resumed, but while it was stalled the HHG itself stopped moving.

Why is this? I seem to remember this happening to me years ago and the HHG's in the mirrors still moved around while the ride was stalled.

• Fighter Pilot

its timing on the track, if that track keeps going the effect wouldn't work since it wouldn't be lined up. Think of it as a kill switch

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm glad they didn't do the Museum of the Weird. People can't shut up when they are in the foyer or stretching gallery. What's going to make them shut up if the entire mansion was a walk through?
    I hate it when people talk in the foyer and stretching room, these rooms are just as important as the rest of the attraction. I wish people would be more interested and polite nowdays. Guests like those who won't pay attention to the stretching room is why we get crap like California Screamin and Test Track, because Disney thinks all people want to do is go fast. I wish more people would appreciate the art that is the Disney attraction, so we can get more attractions with the level of artistry found in the Haunted Mansion.

• =)

Awesomeman33, I think he's asking why the animatronics themselves stop their various motions--you know, turning their heads and so on. And I can't answer that question...

I hate it when people talk in the foyer and stretching room, these rooms are just as important as the rest of the attraction. I wish people would be more interested and polite nowdays. Guests like those who won't pay attention to the stretching room is why we get crap like California Screamin and Test Track, because Disney thinks all people want to do is go fast. I wish more people would appreciate the art that is the Disney attraction, so we can get more attractions with the level of artistry found in the Haunted Mansion.
    As much as can relate to people who do that, I've grown to hate it too. When I was younger, I tended to join in with the chorus of "no windows and no doors" and "there's always my way"; it was a fun communal activity. But Paul Frees really is more than just a generic creepy voice--there's a lot of genuine eeriness in the pre-show that gets covered up by people trying to have what could be called "too much fun." Man, it'd be fun to go through the entire pre-show and attraction completely alone. No other guests, no friends or family to joke with, no one to remind you of the real world. I'd be a little scared.

• Beach Expert

I think he's asking why the animatronics themselves stop their various motions--you know, turning their heads and so on. And I can't answer that question...
    Yeah that's it. And even though you can't answer that question I know somebody on here can...

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well, which HHG's? I don't think the three AA figures have glass in front of them, because I haven't seen any light reflections messing up the flash pix or night-vision videos that are posted in various places on the web. The reflection ghosts, on the other hand, are behind two-way mirrors. This is glass that acts like a mirror when the stuff on the other side is dark, but like a dark-tinted piece of window glass when the thing on the other side is brightly lit.
    I meant the AA's I know the mirror ones are behind a two way mirror. I ask because the last time I went on I thought that I saw glass, when I asked my sister if there was glass, she seemed to think so too.

• Minion

As much as can relate to people who do that, I've grown to hate it too. When I was younger, I tended to join in with the chorus of "no windows and no doors" and "there's always my way"; it was a fun communal activity. But Paul Frees really is more than just a generic creepy voice--there's a lot of genuine eeriness in the pre-show that gets covered up by people trying to have what could be called "too much fun." Man, it'd be fun to go through the entire pre-show and attraction completely alone. No other guests, no friends or family to joke with, no one to remind you of the real world. I'd be a little scared.
    It would be awesome beyond words to go all the way through it alone, I would love the creepiness feeling. One time I was in a group of less than 10 people (none of whom I knew) and that was cool. That was the last run through of the day though. I reccomend trying to get into the last ride of the night.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I'm reluctant to post because it brings us one step closer to the end.
    I said this about the Tower preshow video on Friday--it's one thing to say the spiel to yourself. It's one thing to say certain parts aloud (not LOUD! mind you, but...aloud)....but its an entirely different ballpark when you say the WHOLE spiel LOUDLY so that the entire room can hear you, or even the just parts of it at an annoyingly high volume.
    This was brought up because we were in one of the libraries and these preteen girls shouted 'The Twilight Zone!' both times in the video. After the video ended I asked someone (loudly) to hand me a blunt object so I could take care of the problem of annoying people on the ride. I have no tolerance for things like that, on Tower, Mansion, or anywhere else. I'm on the ride to enjoy myself, not listen to annoying preteens who are making a weak attempt at sounding cool.
    OKay I'm going to end my tangent here before I go on about how I take care of annoying people on Mansion. Because I have a highly effective method that I will not hesitate to use.... *evil grin*
    dreams. come. true.