Page 130 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3080105120127128129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2022

• Down Under without Nemo..

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    the Tokyo HM goes only a slight step further, by animating (though slightly) the entrance gargoyles.
    I don't recall any animation of the gargoyles, and I watched them for quite a while (whilst studying the glowing eyes).

When did they start doing this ?
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• =)

I've never been to the mansion in Tokyo, but I've heard of the gargoyles and no one's ever said anything about them being animated...

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    the new Burton-styled headstones
    Your essential point is a valid position, I'd say. A dog grave is not very odd, but an elaborate grave for a spider takes us straight into the realm of fantasy, and the HM front yard is much too early in the program for something like that, if indeed it belongs at all.

I think you can strengthen your case by dropping the Burton thing. It is extremely unlikely that Nightmare Before Christmas inspired the 1995 pet cemetery in any way. The 1993 film did not really find its audience and develop its strong following until it came out on video. For the pet cemetery, the parallels with Rolly Crump's artwork are much more convincing, in my opinion. Like the pet cemetery, the Museum of the Weird artwork celebrates the fantastic, and it is loaded with spiders, bats, and snakes. Also, GRD is correct about Rolly also designing tombstones (never used). (Edit: the pet cemetery was installed in 1993, not 1995)

***********break************

Incidentally folks, don't forget that the WDW HM is coming back from its ambitious rehab in only a couple more months, and I'm sure there will be a monster thread to discuss it, so it's not like HM fans will be left without some place to go after this one finishes. And I'm a California boy, so I'll be much more full of questions than answers when the new WDW HM makes its debut.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2007 at 02:32 PM.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    ... and I'm sure there will be a monster thread to discuss it, so it's not like HM fans will be left without some place to go after this one finishes...
    Why don't you just start like a
    Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect V.2, or something like that?

Whatever you like.

Beating a dead horse department:

Here's something that could be taken as evidence that the pet cemetery drew inspiration from Rolly's concepts for the
    Museum of the Weird:

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The gargoyles (Griffins) on the columns of the TDL HM aren't animated. They just have glowing red eyes at night.

One thing I enjoy about TDL HM is their extended queue area with various crypts not seen in the US. There is one featuring skeletal footprints in cement that was just about to seal the crypt itself. Another features the gates ripped off of its hinges... Pretty amazing stuff in Tokyo.

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Question on the HHG's.

Sunday I was riding and it stalled temproarily in front of the mirrors. The HHG's in the mirrors gradually slowed down and stopped moving when the doombuggies finally stopped. They did start up again once the ride resumed, but while it was stalled the HHG itself stopped moving.

Why is this? I seem to remember this happening to me years ago and the HHG's in the mirrors still moved around while the ride was stalled.
    I have seen some pics of the HHGs behind the mirrors somewhere on the net. A group of us were analyzing them and noticed fins at the bottom of the poles the busts sat upon. It was theorized that these fins were used like the old Pretzel car dark-ride gags, in that a block is installed on the floor and when the fin comes into contact with it, the fin rotates as it passes, causing the pole to rotate and giving the "animatronic" some rotating movement, like looking from one side of the mirror to the other. In which case, these wouldn't be animatronics at all but rather self-actuating rod puppets.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    The gargoyles (Griffins) on the columns of the TDL HM aren't animated. They just have glowing red eyes at night.

One thing I enjoy about TDL HM is their extended queue area with various crypts not seen in the US. There is one featuring skeletal footprints in cement that was just about to seal the crypt itself. Another features the gates ripped off of its hinges... Pretty amazing stuff in Tokyo.
    Yeah, some guy named GRD999 posted a picture of that one waaaaaay back here on post number 588: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    LOL, shows how long this thread has been running.

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    I have seen some pics of the HHGs behind the mirrors somewhere on the net. A group of us were analyzing them and noticed fins at the bottom of the poles the busts sat upon. It was theorized that these fins were used like the old Pretzel car dark-ride gags, in that a block is installed on the floor and when the fin comes into contact with it, the fin rotates as it passes, causing the pole to rotate and giving the "animatronic" some rotating movement, like looking from one side of the mirror to the other. In which case, these wouldn't be animatronics at all but rather self-actuating rod puppets.
    You may be right. I don't know if these are the photos you mean, but here are some. Yecch, they're BUTT UGLY, but I suppose they serve a scientific purpose:

And now you've been mooned by hitchhiking ghosts! Only on The Thread, ladies and gentlemen, only on The Thread.

Everyone's afraid to use up precious posts, it seems. Well, that's no way to live. If I have a goodie, don't worry, I'll post it somewhere, Thread or no Thread, or I'll pass occasional suggestions to GRD for his blog, like the "My Glass is Run" thing, so c'mon, no long faces.

Time for a trivia question.

There are at least two pictures of Jesus in the WDW HM (at least, there used to be; who knows now?). Where are they?

Here's a nice, gloomy picture of the WDW HM when it was new, to get you in the mood...

Last edited by HBG2; 07-18-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added pic

Don't all speak at once. Oh, this is sad; not a nibble. Well, let's put 'em out there. GRD blogged about the first picture, a Victorian stereograph showing Jesus' resurrection, located in the ballroom:

See GRD's blog on this here: http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...r-already.html

The second picture is on the sheet music scattered on the floor in the music room:

For an interesting attempt to decipher and play some of this music, go here: http://www.hauntedmansion.info/Groun...?imageorder=51
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-19-2007 at 01:19 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Sorry HBG,

I didn't even try because as you mentioned, us HM fans are sad this great thread is coming to an end.

There is enough interest that I''m sure we can keep it going.

Chad

A couple of Phantom Manor observations. It's the most unusual of the HM's, certainly, and it contains a lot of unique features, but it also draws inspiration from the originals, sometimes in not-so-obvious ways. Take the Sťance Room. PM has these heavily draped windows around the outside wall with misty clouds in them. The original idea was to have ghostly faces, but that didn't happen. Ironically, the face effect sounds similar to proposed revisions to the DL HM Sťance Room that Al Lutz reported early in 2005, but which have yet to materialize.

But notice the window cornice design, with the heavy drapery?

If that looks familiar, it should. It's inspired by the endless hallway in the original HM:

But the Griffin is a particularly brazen rip-off from another attraction entirely, possibly using the same mold. This is from the dungeon scene in DL's Snow White queue:

Sometimes the Imagineers reach way back for their inspiration. It seems to me that this clock in the bride's boudoir at the PM...

...owes at least a little something to this old Museum of the Weird fixture:

Last edited by HBG2; 07-19-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added pic

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The second picture is on the sheet music scattered on the floor in the music room:

For an interesting attempt to decipher and play some of this music, go here: http://www.hauntedmansion.info/Groun...?imageorder=51
    That music is very very very old-style notation. The type of music is called plainchant and would be sung at worship by choirs of monks in a Catholic cathedral. It actually appears to be later than plainchant on second examination, but with the same style notation. The reason I say it's later is because harmony is indicated and the earliest forms of church music were in strict unison. I would say it's probably a reproduction of something found in a hymn book from perhaps the thirteenth or fourteenth century.

Here's a bit of trivia. Where in the Disneyland Resort can you see similar notation?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Here's a bit of trivia. Where in the Disneyland Resort can you see similar notation?
    Could it possibly be somewhere near the band organ of King Arthur Carousel? Or maybe the music shop on Main Street?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Could it possibly be somewhere near the band organ of King Arthur Carousel? Or maybe the music shop on Main Street?
    Newp. In the interests of saving posts, it's on the harpsichord that plays itself in the caves of PotC.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!