Page 133 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3383108123130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2022

• Genteel Amphibian

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    So sad this thread is dying, perhaps it will become to 1000th happy haunt.

Anyways, I took a couple of rides yesterday and wanted to give my 2 cents.

The Good:

The new CMs for the attraction are FANTASTIC! They are staying in character, keeping people from using their flashes in the stretching room, closed the door to the foyer, just great, great. Frankly I was very impressed.

The Bad:

I went on the ride 2 times and the ghost spiel in the doombuggy wasn't working. What was odd is it didn't work in the beginning (hot & cold running chills) or the next room (madame Leota establishing contact). Then before the ballroom it kicked in (sympathic vibrations). I was worried that they eliminated it but could hear it playing in the other doombuggies. Hopefull all the buggies will be fixed during the HMH closure.

Either way awesome ride as always. Constance is starting to look a little blurry, so hopefully they can get her back to her crystal clear/husband killing self.

HBG & GRD, us HM fans can't thank you enough for all you have added to this thread. Being selfish, I'd love to see it start again after this one is closed. No arguements, no bashing - just pure love for Disney and this ride.

Chad
    I went Yesterday twice also noted the missing audio, I remember hearing no mention of Madame Leota, and thinking that's odd...

I'm also combining another comment here to save posts

As far as the foyer when I went both times they didn't shut it though I rode twice one after another, It might of just been the CM I had forgot.

Oh and Datameister no hard feilings mate

Sorry HBG2, I forgot about the memo removing that line, That was soooo many posts ago.
    Last edited by J Thaddeus Toad Esq; 07-23-2007 at 06:58 PM.

• Popular Princess

Quote Originally Posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
    As far as the foyer when I went both times they didn't shut it though I rode twice one after another, It might of just been the CM I had forgot.
    I went about two weeks ago and the CM tried to close the foyer doors but people just kept coming in and so he finally gave up.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Inhospitable about happy

*sigh*

One more time...

"Madame Leota" has not been mentioned in the spiel since May 2006. If that line is back again, then that's something new, and that's big news.

Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

As for the foyer doors, if they're attempting at all to close both of them, that's a big improvement. For a very long time no one bothered, as far as my experience goes.

************break************

No worries, Toad. One little piece of unfinished business that requires input from a CM (I'm looking at you, Karnever), is whether or not the gun barrel flash on the duelist's pistol takes place before or after his slight head-tilt. It would settle the debate on whether he's shot or not.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2007 at 07:06 PM.

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl View Post
    I went about two weeks ago and the CM tried to close the foyer doors but people just kept coming in and so he finally gave up.

yeah for some reason all of a sudden this year I been noticing them actually giving an effort in closing the foyer doors. Even at night when theres like only 5 people in the foyer. So someone must have brought it up to them. And thanks whoever

Here's something I don't think anyone has brought up:
    The spirits can apparently change their appearance based on what their physical bodies looked like at any point in their life (and death).

Constance died as an old woman yet that isn't how we see her in the attic.
    Ezra (and Hatbox Ghost) look like long-dead corpses.

Perhaps Madame Leota and "Little Leota" are the same entity.

• Fighter Pilot

eh theres many "stories" of Leota and little leota, from them being mother and daughter to being the same entity

• =)

*sigh*

One more time...

"Madame Leota" has not been mentioned in the spiel since May 2006. If that line is back again, then that's something new, and that's big news.
    Really? The last time I visited the park was before that, and I didn't know. Man, they better re-introduce that line! It helps guests who care to understand what little story the mansion has to offer. Without that line, we don't even know why we're going to see Madame Leota, nor do we know that her name is Madame Leota. I read the post you linked to, HBG2. It's very interesting that the original Imagineers chose to remove the line, and I've got to say that they had pretty good reasons...but the majority of the times I've experienced the attraction have been between 2001 and 2006, so I'm attached to the line quite a bit. I think it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Here's something I don't think anyone has brought up:
    The spirits can apparently change their appearance based on what their physical bodies looked like at any point in their life (and death).

Constance died as an old woman yet that isn't how we see her in the attic.
    Ezra (and Hatbox Ghost) look like long-dead corpses.

Perhaps Madame Leota and "Little Leota" are the same entity.
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. The most conventional view is that you're locked into the appearance you bore when you died. But another view is that spirits haunt because they're trying to take care of "unfinished business" from mortal life, and they're kind of stuck in a loop, and only vaguely aware of what has happened, if at all. Of course, the two views converge in the case of murder victims, because they're trying to get vengeance, or a proper burial, or something else left unfinished at the time of their unexpected death, and so they retain the form they had at that time. But in other cases, the "unfinished business" may relate to an earlier time in life.

So theoretically, the young bride stage of Connie's life is where her Karma got stuck (or however you want to put it), and she returns in that form, trying to...get unstuck, or atone, or something. Why some spirits would represent the mortal form well into its post-mortum decomposition is a little tougher to explain. Maybe they're upset about something that took place well after their death, like a fraudulent will that leaves their favorite grandchild disinherited, and they come back to deal with it. We talk about people "turning over in their graves." Maybe some of them get permission from the Powers That Be to do more than just turn over.

After all, why should the afterlife be any less complicated than this one?

Edit to add: Oh, and about restoring the Madame Leota line, I wouldn't count on it. If you continue to follow the links in that earlier post, you'll see that surprisingly high-up Disney brass specifically directed that they be deleted, with a not-so-subtle warning about what they will will be forced to do if someone puts the lines back in again!
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2007 at 09:00 PM.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    eh theres many "stories" of Leota and little leota, from them being mother and daughter to being the same entity
    I haven't heard that.
    I'M GONNA GO WORK ON MY STORY AGAIN!!!
    But I want to tie this tidbit in somehow. I have the attic bride and Leota covered already, but I want to somehow tie in Little Leota. Any suggestions?? For thread conservation, you can just PM me about it if you want.
    For those of you who haven't read my outline, you can read it here, complete with horrible grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Plus you get my AIM name!!
    I don't know if I said this already, but when I finally get around to putting this online/having it published, y'all are gonna be thanked for your input! I have to say that it's because of this thread starting that I even wanted to work on my story again. Thanks, guys--I had forgotten what it was like to create something using the medium of words. ^^

EDIT: I got it, about the Little Leota tie-in. It just hit me. Thank you for your complete lack of suggestions because then I would feel bad about not taking them and using mine
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 07-23-2007 at 09:37 PM.
    dreams. come. true.

Very interesting
    This makes a lot more sense than Ezra saying "Hey, I'm gonna look like a skeleton today"

• =)

Or perhaps the ghosts have to decide to become ghosts, and their ghostly appearance is dependent on their appearance when they make the decision. Perhaps many of the mansion's inhabitants chose to become ghosts instantly upon their deaths, but "late bloomers" like Ezra and the hatbox ghost made the decision after being dead long enough to appear skeletal in real life.

Time for the "Why does the Haunted Mansion matter?" speech, before The Thread expires.

Any human creative activity is like part of a tapestry. Grab a thread, any thread, and pull, and you find that it's attached to the whole thing. I think it would be great if everyone would read the Bible, Shakespeare, and classic mythology. T. S. Eliot once said that he presumed of all readers of his poems that they be familiar with those three bodies of work. The culture, and our educational system, is long past that, and there's no use crying about it. But if you look at soap operas, comic books, and pop music, you find the same issues dealt with that are dealt with in "high" art (just not as well). People can't help doing theology, even when they're telling jokes. Pull on any thread, and you'll find the human condition somewhere on the other end.

Every haunted house, from the HM to the blanket-and-mask garage quickies thrown together for Halloween parties, is the same: a winding, dark, one-way path past scary scenes. It doesn't take a genius to see that this is an allegory of life. You come in here and you go out there, and in between you just keep going, past one unexpected scene after another, without sufficient clues, scared, unsure of your way, and suspecting that there are hostile, unseen forces around you. Should you trust the Ghost Host? Does he mean you harm, or not? Do you have sufficient evidence to decide? You do not. You just have to keep going, trusting and mistrusting at the same time. Like life. You never get all the info you need before you're forced to make a decision. Like Mike says on the Story and Song album, "C'mon let's keep going." You don't panic and stop; you just keep going. And if you do, you come out the other end.

Scary movies, carnival dark rides, ghost stories, Halloween masks...these provide the essential service of providing kids with their first safe scares, and specifically, the fear of death scares. The I'm-going-to-end-up-in-a-grave scares. And we learn to cope with that fear, and find some kind of satisfactory explanation or accounting for it. Looking into the grave makes theologians of us all. Sure, we could begin with something a little loftier than a theme-park ride. St. Julian of Norwich, for example, who represents the bedrock optimism that animates historic Christianity:
    Her great saying, "...All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well", reflects this theology. It is also one of the most individually famous lines in all of Catholic theological writing, and certainly one of the most well-known phrases of the literature of her era.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_of_Norwich

But if you don't have the time or inclination to travel through the literature of Christian mysticism and end up in the rosy light of Julian's pronouncement, you can get the same message from...a joke. From the Haunted Mansion. We get to the show's climax, and what do we find? Executioners and executed shmoozing around together, the power relationship that defined their earthly lot obliterated by the leveling hand of death. All hints of vengeance have been washed away in a tide of forgiveness, and the power struggles that marked the hierarchies of the mortal life are now considered as nothing: Kings and Queens who would go to war for their honor in "real life" are now cavorting like children, with no thought to their precious dignity. No winners or losers in that graveyard, only a rollicking good time. And the joke is on us, too. Whaddya know? They're not out to get us, they don't even seem to care that we're watching. "All manner of things shall be well."

Rolly Crump once said that the reason Walt pulled in guys from the animation department to work on DL was because he knew that they understood him. Marc, Claude, Rolly, and the rest understood Walt. And the basic, bedrock value that they understood about Walt was his optimism. As soon as you become bleak, cynical, bitter, and pessimistic, you've lost anything that could be called "Disney." Whatever else he was, Walt was not any of those, and neither is DL.

So in the HM, you see the Disney, and Disneylandish, optimism extending to the afterlife. "All shall be well." You're getting theology, whether you realize it or not, whether you want it or not, whether you agree with it or not, and whether the Imagineers consciously intended it or not. Like a book or a movie or a poem, it's a statement, and you can start from that statement and continue the conversation. Pull any thread, and the human condition in on the other end.

P.S. I'm going to edit the first post of this thread too.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2007 at 10:17 PM.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Wow... I know I can't follow something like that up with any of my archived goodies... But, before the thread goes into archiving itself, I shall pull out one piece that I am sure will be new to most, if not all.

Marc Davis thought of many ways of residents playing music in the Mansion. They play organs, lyres, tomb lids, etc. However, the mansion isn't just home to ghosts, but snakes, spiders, bats and other creatures. Why can't another creature play music like the others? So, Marc imagined a spider with a snake companion playing an organ with its multiple legs.

Thanks everyone for making what I consider a successful thread. Most I notice trail off, or even get shut down because of bickering or other things. Not this one. And I thank you for that.

• =)

Great post, HBG2. Absolutely right. And it was especially powerful to read, having just finished the last Harry Potter. I won't be an inconsiderate jerk and include spoilers--but suffice it to say that some of the things you mentioned echo what Rowling says through this last book.

Thanks everyone for making what I consider a successful thread. Most I notice trail off, or even get shut down because of bickering or other things. Not this one. And I thank you for that.
    Agreed! I wish I'd joined in a lot earlier.

• is too darn hot.

Thank you HBG2 and GRD for making the best MiceChat thread EVER!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!