Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The relatively new effect of the shadow ghost playing the piano in the attic... That kind of looks like he could be the hatbox ghost. Anyone have any info on this?
    You are not alone in that opinion:
    Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past
    Although I don't see the "wild hair" Michelle mentions.

BTW, the phantom pianist has been there since around 1995.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You are not alone in that opinion:
    Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past
    Although I don't see the "wild hair" Michelle mentions.

BTW, the phantom pianist has been there since around 1995.

Thanks for the info. I never knew until now that the eagle in America Sings was the Hatbox Ghost! You know, it is kind of weird, but that eagle always kinda gave me the creeps a little bit... Not that I was totally freaked out, but he just kinda weirded me out a bit sometimes. Now I know why!

And I didn't know that the shadow piano player was around since 1995. I probably think it was a lot more recent because the attic scenes are relatively new, and because the regular HM is seasonal my mind thinks certain things are new when in fact they are not.

Thanks a bunch!

It's not likely that they will ever bring the Knight back. You can read more about his short career in the Mansion here: http://www.doombuggies.com/insiders_clark.htm

I only saw him once, but it was great.
    I think he might return. The article said they discontinued it for money reasons, not due to violence or frequent stops.

I'd love for him to return, it added an unpredictable element to the ride, making it actually scary for that brief momment. I remember they had two live actors for Mickey's Halloween Treat back in the 90's, the knight and a ghoul in the graveyard scene.

It would be great if they had 2-3 who would rotate. Sometimes you are scared in this room, other times it happens in another, and sometimes, all three. Maybe instead of doing HMH every year, they could add live actors for the month of October.
    Last edited by Professortango; 03-07-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: .

As long as this thread has devolved into a general discussion of long lost effects from the HM, I may as well mention the "purple shroud" ghost. When the HM opened, there was a deep purple, shrouded ghost fluttering away in the Sťance Room. It was there at least until the late 1980's, and possibly much longer; I don't know for sure. It wasn't there in 2005 anyway, and I'm amazed at how few people remember it, even HM freaks.

It was at WDW too, but that one is gone also. It's still at Tokyo, however, except that it has a slightly different design (i.e., it has a face). You can see it in this excellent ride-thru video of Tokyo's HM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQPv6B6uqo
    (Incidentally, Tokyo has a few special effects found in no other HM, so keep your eyes open on that video.)

Here's a photo of the defunct WDW "purple shroud ghost", artificially brightened so that you can see that it was just a projection on a piece of cloth, fluttering in the breeze of a fan:

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Interesting...

Perhaps the Hatbox Ghost will someday make a comeback with Constance's story and all...or maybe it's just a "nod" to him.

I'm glad the live knight isn't there anymore. I don't like people scaring me...and my automatic reflex is to hit them with my purse (as is what happened to the poor actor).
    **note to self: depending on the size of the purse in question, do not scare the Pineapple Queen**

•   

As long as this thread has devolved into a general discussion of long lost effects from the HM, I may as well mention the "purple shroud" ghost.
    I do remember the shroud quite well. Another "newer" seance feature is the ghostly face that now obscures/replaces (depending on your point of view) the older effect of the "floating" ectoplasmic "will-o-the-wisp" along the outer entrance wall.

• Eeyore smiling

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think he might return. The article said they discontinued it for money reasons, not due to violence or frequent stops.

I'd love for him to return, it added an unpredictable element to the ride, making it actually scary for that brief momment. I remember they had two live actors for Mickey's Halloween Treat back in the 90's, the knight and a ghoul in the graveyard scene.

It would be great if they had 2-3 who would rotate. Sometimes you are scared in this room, other times it happens in another, and sometimes, all three. Maybe instead of doing HMH every year, they could add live actors for the month of October.

I was just thinking the same thing, what with last year's big success with turning the park more of October tribute to Halloween, and that they are thinking of doing even more this year (aka Paris). It would be great to add the live action to HM during the month of October.

He would give people knightmares.

• Assistant Minion

I remember the live action knight very well, and it was a fun and unnerving addition. That said, I'm glad they removed it. There is something about live actors that makes people behave, well, oddly. Perfectly normal folks can't control themselves from striking the actor, or otherwise messing with them. Plus, it adds a slight Halloween Haunt vibe, and the Mansion is classier than that.
    I remember the purple ghost thingy as well and kind of miss it. The seance room is kind of bare these days, cool floaty Leota not withstanding.

Stay classy, Mansion!

•   

He would give people knightmares.
    ouch. That actually hurt just a tiny bit...

• Comin' at ya!

interesting, thanks for posting
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

I know many long-forgotten Haunted Mansion effects. But I've long-forgotten them all!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I know many long-forgotten Haunted Mansion effects. But I've long-forgotten them all!

Yeah, me too--wait what were we talking about...I forgot...

• Banned User

Why were most of these effects scapped?

• A Honorary Autobot

I must be insane, but I could have sworn the loading queue (read: the green mist of oblivion -or whatever it's called) used to be different and much more simular to that of Paris' Phantom Manor. Of course, I might be mixing these two up in my mind; but I have thought this for far longer than the Euro Disney park has been in existence.