Page 31 of 135 FirstFirst ... 62128293031323334415681131 ... LastLast

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

I think with the load area, they just used this concept and gave up half way.

• Inhospitable about happy

I'm going to inject my little "power of darkness" speech.

There is a WORLD of difference between pitch-black-you-can't-see-a-thing darkness and pretty-dark-but-you-can-still-see-stuff darkness. Pitch darkness is the simplest and in some ways the scariest effect there is. We are all so used to the load area being just a room. You have to try to imagine it as an island of dimly-lit light fixtures, marking the highest point, and a dimly-lit boarding strip area (including the foot of a stairway) marking the lowest point, floating in an ocean of impenetrable blackness stretching in all directions. It's so unreal...so spooky.

It was built to be that way, and if it had stayed that way, I don't think we would be hearing any criticism.

/pontification

The loading area needs to have something done with it though...right now it is just really bland. Look at the detail Phantom Manor got with it's loading area, couldn't we get something at least like that?

Also, the movie really, really sucked but the set pieces were AWESOME!

Any visual inspriation that comes from the movie can't be a bad thing...unless of course that visual is the face of eddie murphey...

Man it makes me sad...that movie had so much potential...it COULD have been another Pirates...but alas..
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    the set pieces were AWESOME! Any visual inspriation that comes from the movie can't be a bad thing
    They were great. Everyone seems to agree about that.

For my money, the very best thing about the movie was the Nathan Schroeder concept art. It just doesn't get any better:

the set pieces were AWESOME!
    definitely

Any visual inspriation that comes from the movie can't be a bad thing...
    I don't know, I think it would slightly hinder my enjoyment of the attraction--I may be in the minority on that

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    I dunno... This would be a fully immersive setpiece. It would be more like a large atrium. The one where the coffin is feels like a tiny window box by comparison... I think people would enjoy this a lot more. Besides, they had the concept from page 131 that shown coffin storage and things like that as well. Animated coffins... the conservatory already has one of those as well... hmmm... I would just really love something like that. Hell, if they made a new HM which actually took you on a tour of the movie version of the house, I think that would rock in all honesty. Just keep the house and mix it with ride stuff. Wouldn't be that hard. It was a beautiful set and facade.
    I would love is if they did a ride through of the set pieces, but with all the usual effects! Imagine the organist, no longer with his old pipes against a bland wall, instead halfway up a large ornate staricase with several layers of pipes in every dierection! No longer that void of black, useless space, now leota has gypsie curtains lining her walls. And though the conservatory will still have that guy tring to get out of the coffin, the other space could be utilized with new spooks.

Like it was stated above, this movie had a lot going for it since Disney has been persistant with it's "no storyline" thing.....so sad they decided "Hey, let's call up Eddie!"

Speaking of.......uh.....ok, I really don't have a way to connect this to the movie, but I've always wondered about a certain portrait...

The Witch of Walpurgis!

Ok, so this once possible changing portrait turned 1/11 sinister eleven looks almost identical to it's concept art......with certain details in difference. The strange-looking, almost creature from the black lagoon-esque creature in the bottom-right corner (and I'm not sure, but are there two creatures or is that just simply a...body part?). If you look at the one on the right (the one that actually stares at you in the WDW HM), it seems like someone was leaving that space for the monster, but decided to just go ahead and paint another skull. I mean, (ignoring the concept art) look at the art styles of the two skulls in the SAME painting! They're completely different looking, yet hold the exact same image twice. Why would an artist be redundant in putting a copy of the same object within the painting of eachother and then make them have different styles? It's like when it was painted, someone dropped something on that spot, so then it was covered up by another person to correct a mistake. There's also some kind of staff and a candle in the shape of a hand in the concept, and bats in the actual thing. The painting seems really crowded and full of stuff that one cannot possibly look at in one sitting within a doombuggy. All the other paintings are not as smushed togather like this truely wierd one.

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out, mostly due to the fact that I can't explain the two skulls.

It could have been the fact that everything with eyes in the Sinister 11 stares at you. Had they put in that weird statue thing, it would have had to have stared as well. I mean, she stares, the cat stares, in another painting the opera glasses stare... guess it was just because of a design flaw. Again, was meant to be a changing portrait, not a staring portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    It could have been the fact that everything with eyes in the Sinister 11 stares at you. Had they put in that weird statue thing, it would have had to have stared as well. I mean, she stares, the cat stares, in another painting the opera glasses stare... guess it was just because of a design flaw. Again, was meant to be a changing portrait, not a staring portrait.
    Ah, excellent point! Did not think of that.....but sitll, two skulls with knifes sticking out of the top right at an angle? I mean, why not some candles, robe, just something that wouldn't make it look like a mistake?

You've all seen GRD's two bloggings about the imagery in this painting, right?

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

It all comes from Émilie Grillot de Givry's Le Musee des sorciers, mages et alchemists (1929), which has been translated into English in more than one way, so the title can be confusing. (See Amazon's list here; these are all the same book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...t%20De%20Givry )

My guess is that some of the occult imagery Davis crammed into the concept painting was discussed, and after reconsideration, they decided it was just too obscure. Who the heck knows what a "hand of glory" is? (You get the actual hand of an executed murderer and prepare it and preserve it with various grisly ingredients and then use it as a candle.) Everyone liked the dagger skull, though, so they just put another one in to fill the gap left by removing a rather goofy-looking demon (however accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You've all seen GRD's two bloggings about the imagery in this painting, right?

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

It all comes from Émilie Grillot de Givry's Le Musee des sorciers, mages et alchemists (1929), which has been translated into English in more than one way, so the title can be confusing. (See Amazon's list here; these are all the same book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...t%20De%20Givry )

My guess is that some of the occult imagery Davis crammed into the concept painting was discussed, and after reconsideration, they decided it was just too obscure. Who the heck knows what a "hand of glory" is? (You get the actual hand of an executed murderer and prepare it and preserve it with various grisly ingredients and then use it as a candle.) Everyone liked the dagger skull, though, so they just put another one in to fill the gap left by removing a rather goofy-looking demon (however accurate).
    Ah, ok.....so in perspective, there is a 10 foot tall skull just outside her cave, perfect!

Anyone who has read Harry Potter knows what a Hand Of Glory is.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    Anyone who has read Harry Potter knows what a Hand Of Glory is.
    Interesting. I haven't read the Potter books. But the point remains that in 1969, a lot of the imagery in Davis's concept painting, although authentic, wouldn't have registered. What they did keep of it (skulls, daggers, a magical circle, a black cat), says "Oh, I get it: a witch, a sorceress" even to the average Joe.

Chapter 13, it's funny, but I've always seen the picture as depicting her standing next to a tree, with overhanging foliage, rather than in a cave entrance, but I do believe you are correct. the edge of the cave's entrance, going down our left side of the painting, settles it.

I agree that the second skull is not well thought-out and smacks of "good enough"-ism. Not everything in the Mansions is a masterpiece. (Just most of it!)

Actually, I'm kind of glad the "Sinister 11" aren't at DL. I don't especially like them, to tell the truth. They come just a little too close to incorporating the historical/literary villains that the HM ultimately elected to do without (Jack the Ripper, Dracula), and so, in a way, they're a distraction. (See my post 339: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?)

Lets try and not make this a HM meets HP thread .

But back to the movie sets... I have to say that Nathan Shroeder is a god of set design! If they ever made a mansion based off of the movie, I would kill to see it. But then again, the order of the scenes would be totally changed just because of the flow of the house. You could have your foyer first, then the portrait hall area on the stairs, and so on. With the idea that it could be a functioning house though, it would be difficult to run doombuggies through most of the scenes. I honestly don't think it would be that bad though. Keep the movie sets, the movie score and a few movie effects, but ditch the story and characters... Would be nice to see more humanoid ghosts though, along the lines of POTC where they are actually hydraulic.

I think the crypt with the zombies would be neat too. Just have them trying to get out of their tombs, no real scary jumping zombies. Then again, they have them in Indy and Phantom Manor...

I mean really... just look at that pic right there above... its awe-inspiring!

The man is a true artist, no doubt.

By the way, for those of you who don't know it, many of these Nathan Schroeder b/w sketches appeared quite early at the official HM movie website, well before the movie had been released, and if you drag your cursor around on them they all have these subtle and delightful animations added to them!

Go here: http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/li...sion/main.html
    Click on "About the DVD" and then "Set Sketches."

Fun!

I loved these. They're eerie and whimsical, just like the HM itself. Got my hopes up that the movie was going to capture the spirit of the attraction. Alas...