Page 43 of 135 FirstFirst ... 183340414243444546536893 ... LastLast

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Hey where is the chamber pot in the attic? I know it's in a box but I'm talking about location.

its near Constance near the back hidden by all her junk.....

(the lack of a ring) Its because she cheated on him, and after she dies she goes to Hell to burn for eternity for her lack of Love and any trace of integrity......DUH!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    its near Constance near the back hidden by all her junk.....
    Behind her? (hehe) or is it on the right side?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Alright guys...here's one for the record books...

Is it true one of the strecthing rooms is haunted?

Siggy siggy sig sig.

• Merry 2014!

This is one of the most intriguing and enthralling threads. Have been reading for the last 4 nights and couldn't wait to get back to it. I am not a HM fan, but this thread has me seeing the attraction in a whole different light.

I rode HM in '70 when I was 7 years old. My dad primed us really well by tellng us that there were vampires in there that would come out and grab you and ghosts that would touch you and that if you weren't good, you would be kept in the ride by the ghosts. (yeah my dad was a real piece of work) So needless to say, my brother (6yrs old) and I were terrified. To distract us, my mom pointed out the rhymes on the headstones. I miss those as they were a fun part of the line.
    I agree with HBG that complete darkness is very frightening and would provide a much better transition into the "spirit world". I haven't been on the regular attraction in quite a few years, mostly because when I go it is time for the NBC overlay. Hope to God they never bring back the live knight. Fortunately, I never personally encountered him but was tipped off by the other screaming victims.
    Keep doing what you are doing as you have ignighted an interest in the inner workings of HM and maybe one day, I will be able to ride it without trembling too much.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post

No.

They BOTH are Haunted!

"Is this HAUNTED room actually stretching?"

Mystery solved.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post

There are a few fun mansion ghost stories.
    The man with a cane sitting in a doom buggy, riding through the boarding area, staring blankly forward.
    The little boy crying at the exit of the attraction because of his mother spreading his ashes in the mansion.
    Also in the exit area I've read stories about a man in a tuxedo.

Here's what I want to know....how does the effect in the attic with the portraits work? I can't figure it out.

• Fighter Pilot

its simple light and projection, like Davy Jones effect or a slide show

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    So the heads are projected on there? Wow, they look so clear I would have never guessed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    Really? I thought it was like when you see something at one angle and see something else at another angle as you move along.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    There are a few fun mansion ghost stories.
    The man with a cane sitting in a doom buggy, riding through the boarding area, staring blankly forward.
    The little boy crying at the exit of the attraction because of his mother spreading his ashes in the mansion.
    Also in the exit area I've read stories about a man in a tuxedo.

Here's what I want to know....how does the effect in the attic with the portraits work? I can't figure it out.
    There are a number of urban legends about "real" ghosts in the HM. The stories with the most credible claims can be found here: http://www.doombuggies.com/myths4.htm

As for the attic portraits, it's not quite true that "it's simple light and projection, like Davy Jones effect or a slide show." Here's my understanding and my explanation.

Imagine a sandwich lying on the table with top bread (tb), then meat, then bottom bread (bb). Okay? Now lay one of the attic portraits on the table next to it, facing up. It too is a layered piece of work. The tb is the painting of the happy couple, looking normal (i.e., he's got his head). This tb a thin scrim-like material. The meat is a layer of LED lighting, but I frankly don't know how it is arranged so as not to draw attention to itself when it is on. The bb is another painting identical to the tb, but with the hubbie's head gone.

The attic paintings have extremely sophisticated spotlights in front of them pointing at them. As long as this light is illuminating the front and the LEDs are off, you see the regular portrait. The spotlight gradually dims down and the LEDs gradually come on, and you now see the underlying painting through the scrim that the top painting is painted on.

What makes this high tech is the extremely fine-tuned coordination between the two lighting systems (frontal spotlight and interior LEDs), so that as one goes down and the other up, you can't see any change in how the painting looks as far as overall illumination. Also, with those LEDs, the sandwich is very thin.

What is low tech (and I LOVE this aspect) is that this is just another application of the old theatrical scrim trick, like the ceiling in the stretchroom. It's very much in the spirit of Rolly and Yale, who used hoary old stage tricks like "Pepper's Ghost" and "Magic Lantern" projections in sophisticated new ways.

The paintings in the changing portrait hall were replaced with new ones using this new technique more than a year earlier, in January '05, except there's a difference. There's nowhere to put sophisticated frontal spotlights, since the guests are in the area right in front of the paintings. So there's no possibility of subtle alteration between frontal and interior lighting. Instead, the bottom layer is bright white stuff (skeletal figures, torn sails, tiger, etc) and the normal-looking top layer is rather dark. With such a strong contrast, when the interior LEDs light up (lightning flashes), the underlying painting shows through even without any changes to the frontal illumination. These paintings are much simpler in that regard.

Now, that's my understanding, based on sources that shall not be named, but I freely admit that I may be mangling it a little in the process of transmission. It was a quick and dirty explanation and some of the analysis of the differences between the two sets of paintings is purely my own inference and analysis. FWIW.

Edited to add: See further in the post below for a partial correction to this explanation.
    Last edited by HBG2; 04-25-2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: adding a ps

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Imagine a sandwich lying on the table with top bread (tb), then meat, then bottom bread (bb). Okay? Now lay one of the attic portraits on the table next to it, facing up. It too is a layered piece of work. The tb is the painting of the happy couple, looking normal (i.e., he's got his head). This tb a thin scrim-like material. The meat is a layer of LED lighting, but I frankly don't know how it is arranged so as not to draw attention to itself when it is on. The bb is another painting identical to the tb, but with the hubbie's head gone.
    Could you repeat that again...all I can think about is an unclaimed sandwich on the table...

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Could you repeat that again...all I can think about is an unclaimed sandwich on the table...
    It's gone. All this typing works up an appetite, you know. You get peanut butter.

• It's all nonsense

If it is the layerd method. Wouldn't the headless pic have to be on the top (front)? If it wasn't, then wouldn't you see the head the whole time?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's gone. All this typing works up an appetite, you know. You get peanut butter.
    Fine. But no LED's in mine this time.