Page 52 of 135 FirstFirst ... 22742495051525354556277102 ... LastLast

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Bingo, aashee. Now we owe you a churro.

And that one, in turn, reminds me of what they actually did at Tokyo:

That is so cool, I think that the trick would not last at a American park, it would decay quickly.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Most likely!

The head behind the portrait however is one of the popups. Its one that has these big droopy eye sockets and is kinda flabby.

• Boogers are salty

I personaly think( see how im quallifying it as opinion) the best Gobo is the sowrd fight on POTC, that always looks cool and adds such a great element to the ride.

I wanted to add something about the hanging string effect that HBG has been discussing. This has nothing to do with HM or Disney. But with an experience I had at an amusement park in Panama City Beach, FL.

They had an old school spook house dark ride. And as you left one of the scenes, they had strings hanging from the ceiling that you passed through.

Being very young at the time and moderately frightened at the ride, my reaction was to grab the string. I held on for a second too long and as the string (which I believe was nylon fishing wire) was forcibly pulled out of my hand, it left behind a pretty nasty cut.

My fault, to be sure. But it seems possible to me that this may have been among the reasons this effect was removed from DLHM.

PS: HBG, Your trivia questions have been very entertaining. Looking forward to others!
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Inhospitable about happy

More historical fun.

This early publicity photo has been available at Doombuggies.com for a long time:

http://www.doombuggies.com/history6.htm

What I just discovered is that it's very early indeed, well before HM opening. First of all, here's an excellent blowup of this very high rez picture:
    http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/hauntedmansion4.jpg

Notice what looks like a technician propping up (?) Caesar's Ghost! LOL.

Better yet, how many dancing couples do you count? Only three? But there are six couples on two revolving platforms:

http://www.hauntedportraits.com/grap...grand-hall.gif

What this photo apparently shows is that the set of only three dancing couples that was going to be multiplied with mirrors was actually there at one time. I posted about this, using only a blueprint for evidence, back here:
    Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

(I owe the analysis of this publicity photo to comments posted by "FoxxFur" at this site: http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2...on-ghosts.html )

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    I personaly think( see how im quallifying it as opinion) the best Gobo is the sowrd fight on POTC, that always looks cool and adds such a great element to the ride.
    techinaclly that is not a gobo....that is a projection....much like bryer fox before the big drop on splash

Thanx, Robotwolf.

Yeah, I consider the Peter Pan gobo to be rather special because it's animated (leg bend), it moves across the wall, and it's the star of the show for a brief moment. It's not the only gobo with moving parts, however: the Indonesian dancer silhouette in IASW is another obvious example.

For those who have been to Animal Kingdom in WDW, there's Expidition Everest that has at least 5 seconds of you starring at a shadow of the yeti......of course this is just another example of "not a gobo", so.....

Another thing to notice in that publicity shot of the ballroom: look how clean everything is. No cobwebs! LOL

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Can I be the first to say? Gobo yourself!

Sorry, couldn't help it. Carry on.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Can I be the first to say? Gobo yourself!
    Why, yes you can. In fact, you also have permission to be the last to say it.

Edited to add:

More fun with that picture: look directly above and slightly to the left of Caesar's head. It's a lit lightbulb sticking out of a vertically mounted socket. Compare with the blueprint. Looks to me like that socket could be mounted on the back of the mirror/wall.
    Last edited by HBG2; 04-30-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added trivia.

A couple more items on the "mechanical trees" in the graveyard. A popular FAQ HM site says this, FWIW:
    According to blueprints that are in the Haunted Mansion Office, the trees as you go down into the graveyard are listed as "Mechanical Trees", but there is nothing mechanical about them. These trees were recently gone over with a flashlight and a fine toothed comb. 8(;-) There was NO mechanisms inside, only steel framework covered with heavy foil, then painted.
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/disney-faq/haunted-mansion/

The other thing is a photo from Davelandweb (a good site for photos: check him out) that shows clearly that the DL trees have faces, and the resemblance to the Snow White trees is plain:

The other thing is a photo from Davelandweb (a good site for photos: check him out) that shows clearly that the DL trees have faces, and the resemblance to the Snow White trees is plain:

Is that a purple eyeball in the tree?

It sure is. Of course, it looks better in the dark, under blacklight.

• Can see my car from here

A couple more items on the "mechanical trees" in the graveyard. A popular FAQ HM site says this, FWIW:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/disney-faq/haunted-mansion/

Interesting. The face on the tree is very apparent after you drop down out of the attic. Odd that I've always thought of the apple-chuckin' trees from the Wizard of Oz when riding past it, rather than the trees from Snow White. Snow White makes much more sense for its inspiration! And if I remember, glow paint surrounds the eyes and mouth. But I will probably always have the expectation of the tree coming to "life", and tossing an apple past my head...

I wish someone had a clear scan of the blueprints. I would be interested to see if the other trees in the graveyard scene are described as "mechanical" as well. Perhaps the term "mechanical" was used to differentiate these trees from others that may have been planned as painted backgrounds or projected/gobo effects.

Also, also, I find it interesting in the picture above, that the "white" light from the camera flash reveals the actual gaudy colors of the caretaker's clothes. A purple cap, blue shirt, green scarf and brown coat. That's one hip caretaker! When the house lights go out, and the black show lights come on, these colors appear quite different. The contrasting colors serve to provide depth and definition to the figure in the dim show conditions. Can someone post a picture of the caretaker in show lighting conditions, so we can compare side-by-side? Thanks!

Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.