Page 53 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    Interesting. The face on the tree is very apparent after you drop down out of the attic. Odd that I've always thought of the apple-chuckin' trees from the Wizard of Oz when riding past it, rather than the trees from Snow White. Snow White makes much more sense for its inspiration! And if I remember, glow paint surrounds the eyes and mouth. But I will probably always have the expectation of the tree coming to "life", and tossing an apple past my head...

I wish someone had a clear scan of the blueprints. I would be interested to see if the other trees in the graveyard scene are described as "mechanical" as well. Perhaps the term "mechanical" was used to differentiate these trees from others that may have been planned as painted backgrounds or projected/gobo effects.

Also, also, I find it interesting in the picture above, that the "white" light from the camera flash reveals the actual gaudy colors of the caretaker's clothes. A purple cap, blue shirt, green scarf and brown coat. That's one hip caretaker! When the house lights go out, and the black show lights come on, these colors appear quite different. The contrasting colors serve to provide depth and definition to the figure in the dim show conditions. Can someone post a picture of the caretaker in show lighting conditions, so we can compare side-by-side? Thanks!
    I agree about Oz. Probably inspired the Disney folks. There are trees something like that in the Forest of No Return in Disney's Babes in Toyland (1961) also.

For the Caretaker under show lighting, check out leotas child's video, posted above: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

I've circled on this other, clearer blueprint (taken from here: http://www.hauntedportraits.com/grap...-ride-path.gif) the trees that are marked "Mechanical" on my blueprint. They are: (1) all the trees flanking the descent ramp, on both sides, (2) the two large trees on either side and behind the band, (3) the one behind and to the right of the busts, (4) the one the princess is swinging on, and (5) the one behind the crypt directly behind the opera singers.

And finally, it's Davelandweb to the rescue again. He has some good pix of the trees currently in Snow White. I promise you folks, I'll drop this topic sooner or later.

I could SO see them using the same DLP projection technology that's going into a lot of newer attractions to make the "Hitchhikers" interactive or at least more "Lively".

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Just to interject about two things.

In the caretaker photo from Daveland, he used a filter in photoshop to brighten up the photo and the gaudy colors are result of that.

And, that isn't an eyeball in the tree. I can't blame you though, I thought the exact same thing. It's actually an Infrared bulb thats used with the nightvision security system to light up the area near the caretaker. You don't actually see the light though.

• Closed Account

Not to derail this, but I just wanted to point out this topic has been viewed over 20,000 times! Wow!

Wow indeed. That's the hypnotic lure of the Mansion for ya.

Thanks to GRD for those insights. (Of course, the HM trees still do have faces. Maybe they thought it was amusing to put their infrared bulb in the tree's "eye.")

The sharp-eyed and the skeptical may wonder why my list of trees designated "mechanical" in post 781 above is longer than the one I gave earlier (Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?. That's because most of the writing on my effects blueprint is almost illegible, since it's a copy of a copy (of a copy?), and it took me awhile to recognize that the draftsman used the abbreviation "MECH. TREE" in three places where space was restricted. Once you realize it, it's clear enough.

Also also, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out two years before The Wizard of Oz, didn't it? So the apple-chuckers in Oz may owe a vague debt to Disney, even if they, in their turn, may have given some inspiration back again to the Disneyland designers.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

So, a question: is the Party in the Ballroom a "Deathday" Party for the spirit blowing out the candles? Is the "swinging wake" a party for the newly-departed, hence newly-arrived, Happy Haunt? Hmmm...?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    So, a question: is the Party in the Ballroom a "Deathday" Party for the spirit blowing out the candles? Is the "swinging wake" a party for the newly-departed, hence newly-arrived, Happy Haunt? Hmmm...?
    Hey Fo'c,

That's what I was always lead to believe. I have an odd feeling HBG or GRD will have an actual invitation for the party somewhere in their collection.

Chad

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Hey Fo'c,

That's what I was always lead to believe. I have an odd feeling HBG or GRD will have an actual invitation for the party somewhere in their collection.

Chad
    I wouldn't be surprised at all, Chad! I have always thought this was the case, and it tends to support my belief that the ghostly manifestations are meant to imply that we are witnessing an occasion, and not an everyday paranormal occurence at the Mansion--possibly using the "sympathetic vibrations" of the Guests (and Madame Leota's ceremony) as the vehicle for their appearance.

But are we witnessing the "anniversary" of her "deathday", or her first one? Is she wearing period clothing? Looks Victorian-era to me. Any thoughts from the experts?

While not one of the experts, I have a little info. On the Haunted Mansion Album are the following lines of narration:

It seemed to be a birthday party
    And when the birthday ghost blew out the candles on a cake,
    several other ghosts disappeared.
    The reappeared when the ghost inhaled again.

While it may seem more logical for it to be a "deathday" celebration, I always assumed that this scene was one of those recreation moments. Much like the dueling ghosts in the same scene.

HBG, what is that figure's (birthday ghost) proper name on the blueprints?
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

I don't know what the girl is celebrating. The only official reference I've seen is this:

Wildly imaginative, isn't it? In favor of it being her "death-day" is the fact that the GH has referred to this party as a wake, and if she's the guest of honor (which seems plausible), she must have just died. Jason Surrell refers to it as a "death-day cake" (Haunted Mansion, p. 72). On the other hand, Chef Mayhem refers to it as a "mysterious birthday party" (http://www.doombuggies.com/secrets_ballroom.htm), and, as Robotwolf correctly points out, this is how the script for the HM record explicitly describes it.

I'm inclined to see it as a birthday party, on the strength of the "Story and Song" script. More and more, that script looks like what they thought the actual HM was going to be, sometime around the first part of 1969. I mentioned several items here (Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?) that are on the record, and were actually planned for the Mansion, but never made it in. You can add a few more items to that list: When Mike and Karen first hear the GH's voice, Mike says that it "came from that marble statue." Check out Surrell, p. 52 for concept art of the bust which the GH was going to "possess." And X Atencio actually recorded himself doing the raven's "coward's way out" lines that show up in the raven's dialogue on the record. (Evidently, there was going to be a tall, narrow bookcase in the middle of the stretchrooms with a raven AA on top!)

So if the HM record script says "birthday," I'm inclined to think that was the intention. Of course, there could always be a macabre double-meaning: dying as a "birthday" into the afterlife.

I've just spent four hours reading this thread and only got up to page 30-something. It is so great. I will need to go back and read the rest of the posts, but I have a burning question. Last summer my husband and I rode HM and while descending down into the graveyard, when your DB is facing backwards going past the trees, my husbands swears he saw a small part of the wall opened up and a tiny bit of Splash Mountain behind it. I have my doubts, but he is so insistant...My question is, Does the ride of Splash Mountain ever come into contact with HM? And if so, is it at that spot?

Also, it would be soooo awesome to actually ride HM with Opus, GRD, or HBG. I love the internet!

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    I wanted to add something about the hanging string effect that HBG has been discussing. This has nothing to do with HM or Disney. But with an experience I had at an amusement park in Panama City Beach, FL.

They had an old school spook house dark ride. And as you left one of the scenes, they had strings hanging from the ceiling that you passed through.

Being very young at the time and moderately frightened at the ride, my reaction was to grab the string. I held on for a second too long and as the string (which I believe was nylon fishing wire) was forcibly pulled out of my hand, it left behind a pretty nasty cut.

My fault, to be sure. But it seems possible to me that this may have been among the reasons this effect was removed from DLHM.

PS: HBG, Your trivia questions have been very entertaining. Looking forward to others!
    not to mention what that same thing could do to your eye...

(they often use this effect in College-type Haunted Houses - kids feel the 'spider webs' and back up; in the HM, you would be pulled through the threads, and they could cause an accident...)

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by TooFarAway View Post
    I've just spent four hours reading this thread and only got up to page 30-something. It is so great. I will need to go back and read the rest of the posts, but I have a burning question. Last summer my husband and I rode HM and while descending down into the graveyard, when your DB is facing backwards going past the trees, my husbands swears he saw a small part of the wall opened up and a tiny bit of Splash Mountain behind it. I have my doubts, but he is so insistant...My question is, Does the ride of Splash Mountain ever come into contact with HM? And if so, is it at that spot?

Also, it would be soooo awesome to actually ride HM with Opus, GRD, or HBG. I love the internet!
    I agree TooFar, but I wouldn't ask another guy to ride alone on the haunted mansion. That may be creepier than the ride itself.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by TooFarAway View Post
    Last summer my husband and I rode HM and while descending down into the graveyard, when your DB is facing backwards going past the trees, my husbands swears he saw a small part of the wall opened up and a tiny bit of Splash Mountain behind it. I have my doubts, but he is so insistant...My question is, Does the ride of Splash Mountain ever come into contact with HM? And if so, is it at that spot?
    I believe the closest you get to Splash Mt. in the graveyard is when you're passing by the musicians and the teeter-totter royalty, just before you turn and go toward the busts. The wall behind those ghosts is as close as it gets. But the rides are in two separate buildings, even though they are quite close to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    not to mention what that same thing could do to your eye...

(they often use this effect in College-type Haunted Houses - kids feel the 'spider webs' and back up; in the HM, you would be pulled through the threads, and they could cause an accident...)
    The hanging stringy thingy was a staple in our garage haunted houses too. There is yet another reason why they might not be a good idea. How long would they have been there in the attic before 11-year old boys started globbing boogers on them as they passed?*

*Don't look at me like that...you and I both know they would.