Page 81 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3156717879808182838491106131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2022

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Firstly, WOW what a thread. Just...wow.

Secondly, a couple of questions. Did I read correctly? Is there only ONE pop-up in the graveyard in the DL Mansion? I know there are no more "I do" pop-ups in the attic...(a pity as the attic pop-ups were my favorite in any incarnation).
    But I recall quite a few pop-ups in the graveyard...

So, once again, how many?

My second question is about the sound effects/screams. Well, it's not really a question, but more of an appreciation. The Haunted Mansion's sounds were released in Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House...and while not all of them are heard in the mansion, there is one sequence of sounds/screams that I really like.
    The sequence is at the END of the Haunted House track on Chilling Thrilling Sounds...you know the ones...

Three gasps and loud screams...followed by a scream leading into a moan and ending with a (quite honestly) terrifying bellow.
    I'd try to write it, but it would look like this...

Ohh, uhhhhhraaaaaaaya!
    Ohh, uhhhhhraaaaaaaya!
    Ohh, uhhhhhraaaaaaaya!
    Uuuuhwaaaaaaaaa...uuuuoooooooorrrrooaaaaaahh!

Silly right. But that's the sequence. So...are they heard in the Mansion? Anyone know what I'm babbling about?

Prof. Griffin
    (a bold and courageous person)

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

There are still popups in the graveyard at Disneyland, but only one Blast Up.

A popup is a head on a pneumatic rod that jumps up. A blast up is on two wires that uses a puff of compressed air to fly up and drop down pretty quick.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGriffin View Post
    Anyone know what I'm babbling about?
    I know exactly the one you're referring to. It comes originally from the "Lonesome Ghost" Mickey Mouse cartoon, I'm pretty sure, but it is not used anywhere in the HM.

OF COURSE IT WAS!
    The second I read that, I pictured that yawning ghost materialize with that moaning bellow.

Thanks for straightening me out.

I'm going back and picking up on this fascinating "side note" GRD mentioned in post #1159, with regard to the wooden cabinet behind Mdm L:
    Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    Oh, a side note about her cabinet. That was originally going to be the location of her projector. The scene was originally flipped 180 degrees so that you would see her face the moment you entered the room and then went around the back of the chair. By turning the scene around, we now go into the seance to see that no one is in the chair and that Leota is in the ball itself.
    You can see this in the blueprint GRD originally posted on his blog, and which I've reposted a number of times without realizing some of the things it shows:

Sure enough, you can see a square labelled "HIGH BACK CHAIR" and a circled "x" on it representing the "RAVEN," and they're on the opposite side of the table from where they are now, and pointing to the cabinet are the words, "PROJ. IN CAB."

I checked my Spring '69 blueprint and it shows the same arrangement, although it wouldn't have been possible to decipher the writing without GRD's print.

This means that the decision to turn the whole thing around to the present arrangement was pretty late in the game. It also means that the delayed, humorous surprise of discovering that the medium is not in the chair but in the ball was almost an afterthought. I suppose someone could argue from this that airborne Leota doesn't really spoil the concept but only reduces the surprise element of the gag to its original timing; that is, it's something you see instantly as you enter the room. For myself, I think the "plus" of turning it around was a genuinely inspired "plus."

Edited to add: If you look closely at the photo of the Sťance room model on pg. 71 in Surrell's HM book, you can see that it reflects the original arrangement.
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-22-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add info

Trivia question time. It's not too hard, so some of you hardcore guys might want to sit this one out for awhile so that others can get a crack at it (I'm looking at you, Smelly; you too, GRD).

What Disney movie is the object of a clear, unambiguous allusion in one of the Mansion's props? (And no, it's not the HM movie.)

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Trivia question time. It's not too hard, so some of you hardcore guys might want to sit this one out for awhile so that others can get a crack at it (I'm looking at you, Smelly; you too, GRD).

What Disney movie is the object of a clear, unambiguous allusion in one of the Mansion's props? (And no, it's not the HM movie.)
    Aside from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which contains the organ in the ballroom scene, I can't think of anything. 20,000 Leagues doesn't count because it came before HM. I'm stumped.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

So I Married an Axe Murderer?
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

Hint: the movie came out in 1968. By "clear, unambiguous allusion," I mean, as if they had a sign on the wall that said "Play it again, Sam" as an allusion to Casablanca. Almost explicit, in other words.

HBG,

As far as the original effect being "simplified", I'm not too sure. I mean, there's still the teapot:

I'm not too sure if these are gags....buuuuuuuut, there's a couple things I'm noticing in this scene...

First off, the dog. That has to be the caretaker's dog we see upon entering the graveyard. It's rib-cage and scrunched posture are a "dead" give-away. Well, perhaps this is suppose to be a joke like Gus, we see it travel from one spot to another....buuuuuuuut instead of the gag about gus' lack of movement due to a ball n' chain, there's an absence of something...his master! How is it a shivering dog makes is making it through the graveyard by itself yet his human companion can't travel a few feet without getting lost or.....well, let's leave that to our imaginations...

The second thing. There's an old man who is so old he can barely hear and the mumbling mummy isn't really helping in that department, sure, we all know and love that hysterical bit, but what else? Well the mummy's crypt is directly behind them...and his sarcophagus is outside it. It looks evident that the old geiser somehow managed to pull the entombed pharaoh out to beathe in the nightly air and share a cup of tea. (If the mummy pulled himself out, why would he bother bringing the lid with him?).

Pretty impressive considering the guy uses a cane to walk...

Just something quick,

the caretakers dog is not the same dog as the one near the mummy. They are two seperate animals. However, Castmember lore says that the dog at the mummy comes from the same litter as the caretakers. They have even nicknamed him Loki. Also, in Marc Davis concept art for some witches, we see the caretaker in the back with his dog. We also see in the mummy concept art, another dog sniffing it. Marc even mentioned at the 30th Anniversary pannel discussion that it was kind of a joke about how the dog was about to pee on the mummy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    I'm not too sure if these are gags....buuuuuuuut, there's a couple things I'm noticing in this scene...

The second thing. There's an old man who is so old he can barely hear and the mumbling mummy isn't really helping in that department, sure, we all know and love that hysterical bit, but what else? Well the mummy's crypt is directly behind them...and his sarcophagus is outside it. It looks evident that the old geiser somehow managed to pull the entombed pharaoh out to beathe in the nightly air and share a cup of tea. (If the mummy pulled himself out, why would he bother bringing the lid with him?).

Pretty impressive considering the guy uses a cane to walk...
    I'm thinking that maybe a better explanation of the sarcophagus being outside is that it's from tomb raiders...that has historically been a problem because of all the wealth that was buried with Egyptian mummies...

So the old guy just found him one day.

Don't forget the many servants that roam around the mansion making sure that all of the residents are happy... Perhaps they moved it out there that evening to allow for a teaparty...

If they cared so much to move the tomb out of the crypt, why not try to put the coffin back in/ fix the hearse?