Page 93 of 135 FirstFirst ... 43688390919293949596103118 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2022

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

I got it! Zero the Ghost Dog Reindeer!

Chad

• Inhospitable about happy

Getting back to the "999 happy haunts" gag, it's interesting that in 1965 they were talking about how the Imagineers were busy creating "1,001 eerie illusions" for the upcoming Haunted Mansion. Somewhere in between I guess they decided that 999 was a more intriguing and amusing number, probably because of the macabre implication that one more will make it an even thousand. Notice too that in 1965 they were still talking about putting "famous ghosts" into the Mansion, an idea they finally dropped entirely.

Well the whole "ghosts stay either inside or outside" theory would be reasonable if it weren't for the ghosts coming into the ballroom from the hearse....

ok, HBG, how about when the cast members "take the master's dogs for a walk"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    HBG, how about when the cast members "take the master's dogs for a walk"?
    Is that the gag where they use the little "phantom dog" leash thingy? I've never seen it done. Do they really use that gag?

Tonight's post is a matter of grave concern.

Most of you know that the Imagineers used the graveyard tombstones as vehicles for little tributes to various people who worked on the HM, usually by reversing the spellings. GRD has blogged about this recently: http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...-say-what.html

I'm looking at the design of the stones themselves. Lots of crude-looking, oval faces, with rosettes and other simple designs:

(pix from Better Haunts and Graveyards: http://www.betterhaunts.com/ourgraveyards.html)

(pix from GRD)

So I snooped around a bit and discovered that there are thousands and thousands of pix of old headstones online, at sites like this one: http://www.gravematter.com/

It seems that the HM headstones are modelled on the conventions of New England headstones between the late 17th and the late 19th c. (i.e., pre-Victorian). Overwhelmingly, these featured simple, stylized (1) skulls, or (2) cherubs, or (3) urns (often urns with willows). Rosettes on the two sides were also common. Here's an almost random sample:

For some reason, the Imagineers consistently went for cherubs rather than skulls. I'm sure if someone took the time to wade through the gazillions of photos, they'd find more strikingly similar-looking examples of the HM types.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Yeah HBG, great post.

I fondly remember going through old graveyards in Boston and many of the old headstones had skulls on them. In fact someone told us what the signs meant on the gravestone and unfortunately I don't remember what means what.

Lot of famous people buried in Boston and make sure you stop by the graveyards if you ever travel there.

Chad

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Do they have to be inside the mansion? I would believe the horse in front could count.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Yeah HBG, great post.

I fondly remember going through old graveyards in Boston and many of the old headstones had skulls on them. In fact someone told us what the signs meant on the gravestone and unfortunately I don't remember what means what.

Lot of famous people buried in Boston and make sure you stop by the graveyards if you ever travel there.

Chad
    Just Google "New England Headstones" and you'll discover tons of material, including explanations of symbolism, etc. Apparently there is an enormous historic interest in that stuff out there.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Just Google "New England Headstones" and you'll discover tons of material, including explanations of symbolism, etc. Apparently there is an enormous historic interest in that stuff out there.
    THanks pal,

I will do that some day. That part of my trips to Boston were special memories for me.

Chad

One more example, this time from the sign put up not long before HM opening:

• is too darn hot.

Were the headstones planted at an angle in the old boneyards or just got that way over time?

Also, the Haunted Mansion was born in the Summer of Love. Anything happen in a Doombuggy that year?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Were the headstones planted at an angle in the old boneyards or just got that way over time?

Also, the Haunted Mansion was born in the Summer of Love. Anything happen in a Doombuggy that year?
    The tilts are the result of age. If you plow through some of those photos you see every angle imaginable, including some that are still straight up.

The "Summer of Love" was 1967. But if you're soliciting salacious doombuggy tales, I'm sure any year can furnish examples. I doubt that such an experience would qualify as a "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," however.

One more note on signs. I used to wonder why the "Dead End!" sign in the crypt had such a crude skull on it. Was that really the best they could do? Now I appreciate that it's just sticking with the conventions of 17-19th c. headstones.

• is too darn hot.

The tilts are the result of age. If you plow through some of those photos you see every angle imaginable, including some that are still straight up.

The "Summer of Love" was 1967. But if you're soliciting salacious doombuggy tales, I'm sure any year can furnish examples. I doubt that such an experience would qualify as a "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," however.
    Ah, my timing is off. Silly me. I'm sure that would be a long remembered Haunted Mansion effect.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Miss Marvel

It seems that the HM headstones are modelled on the conventions of New England headstones between the late 17th and the late 19th c. (i.e., pre-Victorian). Overwhelmingly, these featured simple, stylized (1) skulls, or (2) cherubs, or (3) urns (often urns with willows). Rosettes on the two sides were also common. Here's an almost random sample:

Don't know if I've said this before, but I'm a lurker here and LOOOVE the info!

I went to Salem, Massachusetts, and went to a graveyard of where many people involved in the Salem witch trials were buried. I always wondered if the large amount of skulls on the headstones was because of what the deceased were accused of. It's interesting for me to know that it was a commonplace back then to have skulls on the headstones.

So you're not only teaching HM history, but American history as well!!
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle