Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opus Archives: A Check That Only Tigger Could Bounce

As many of you might know, for much of Disneyland's life, the Town Square Bank was the home of a real live bank...the Bank Of America, Disneyland Branch!

This was a real working bank and branch of the Bank of America empire (same bank that also provided most of the loans for Walt's movies and Disneyland). The full range of bank services was available to the public and to Bank of America customers.

With one noticeable exception: Only Disneyland Cast Members and Lessees (or their family members) could actually open an account at that branch. Though if you later left Park employment you could keep your account there if you wished.

If you were lucky enough to be able to have your checking account at the Disneyland Branch...you could also enjoy a very special perk: Disneyland checks!

So what's the big deal some of you may ask today? Well, back then there were no vanity checks. Checks just came in a small sampling of boring colors and patterns. Photo image checks simply were not common or even seen in personal checks like they are today.

So when you presented one of these colorful checks to a merchant, you not only got oohs and aahs from it being from Disneyland...but most had never even seen a photo check like that before. Many merchants actually hesitated to accept them as they weren't sure they were legit!

Anyway, I just came across a few unused pads of mine in the vaults of the Opus Archives, and thought I would share it with you.

And here's a shot of the outside of the Bank of America, Disneyland Branch:

Also, in case you might be wondering, later after Walt Disney World opened, they had similar but with Sun Bank of Florida (banks were restricted largely to operations in only one state back in those days, so B of A couldn't operate in Florida back then) at their Town Square branch called the "Main Street Office-Walt Disney World." And here's some checks of mine from that long-ago era as well:

I'm not sure if you had to be a Cast Member or Lessee with Florida's version, however. Just don't recall that.

It was great fun banking at those branches. Wish some other financial institution would come back and sponsor and operate a full service branch in the Parks again.

And to answer the inevitable question...NO...having an account at either of these branches did not entitle you to admission to the Park for purposes of doing some banking!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: Opus Archives: A Check That Only Tigger Could Bounce

I really liked that little branch. Before there were ATM's available, we were able to write a check for some extra cash. Now how convenient is that?!

Love the title of your thread, by the way...

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

neat!!!

• In Blackberry Rehab

Awesome post, wish they still had a B of A there!

honk if you see me at disneyland!

WOW - very neat, I knew about the bank long ago but never knew about the checks or opening an account there. VERY cool.

But more importantly, your post reminded me I have a few hundred bucks in the Anheuser Busch credit union at Sea World from when I used to work there. I wonder if i could just go backstage and get my money lol.

I believe those checks are still available...but again, you'd need to be a cast member or family of one. Check out "Partners Federal Credit Union".
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    As many of you might know, for much of Disneyland's life, the Town Square Bank was the home of a real live bank...the Bank Of America, Disneyland Branch!

That's my employer! Wish I could have worked at that branch!

• Eeyore smiling

I actually opened an account with BofA just to get those checks. I had them for many years, (of course this is years ago). Then one day when I got my next check box, there was some odd checks, I ran into the bank and they told me they discontinued them. I closed my account that day.

• Banned User

Did CM's pick up their pay check there?

If you work at that bank do you work for Disneyland or Bank of America?

• Lost in Wonderland

Thanks for sharing! Those checks were neat, even though the pics are outdated I wish I could have that check design.

• Ravenclaw

Smile Re: Opus Archives: A Check That Only Tigger Could Bounce

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
    WOW - very neat, I knew about the bank long ago but never knew about the checks or opening an account there. VERY cool.

But more importantly, your post reminded me I have a few hundred bucks in the Anheuser Busch credit union at Sea World from when I used to work there. I wonder if i could just go backstage and get my money lol.
    The answer to your question/idea is yes, you can still go to the bank backstage.

Oh, and 1st post after months of lurking.

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• I'm with Mr. Big!

That is some really cool history. Thank you so much for sharing opus!

• Welcome To My Nightmare

Thanks. I remember the bank too.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Did CM's pick up their pay check there?
    No.

And Cast Members were not obligated to bank there either.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    If you work at that bank do you work for Disneyland or Bank of America?
    You worked for and were paid by Bank of America, if you worked at the bank. But you were still considered a Cast Member, and had normal Cast Member ID...only in a special color that identified you as a Lessee.

There was a time when Disneyland had many full Lessees in the Park. What this meant was that sometimes all the employees of an attraction, exhibit or shop...were actually employees of that company and not Disneyland.

Just one example of this was AT&T/Bell System/Pacific Telephone and the Circlevision attraction and exhibit. Everyone in that building from the Manager down to the greeter, was an employee of the phone company, and was paid by the phone company. The Lessee actually leased space within Disneyland and operated it themselves (within strict Disney guidelines, of course)

Many lessees actually ran their own business within Disneyland. Take the Hallmark shop for much of it's life. Those employees were Hallmark hires and paid by them, the Manager was from Hallmark and had his own office upstairs, and they even handled their own cash registers. They were in effect...their own little independent business operating within Disneyland. There were many, many of these for decades.

Today most companies only sponsor attractions and pay to have their name over the door. The employees are mostly Disney and Disney operates the "business."

• Down Pluto!

Ahhh... Those were the days.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast