Carland/Discoveryland Idea!

Well, it happened...boredom struck me again...thats an unfortunate side effect of college lectures

I started thinking about the rumored "carland" that al has mentioned a few updates ago, and decided to sketch out my ideas for the ride. I apologize in advance for the poor illustrations...hopefully the color will help make it easier on the eyes lol

this first picture is of the interior of the ride (I will explain the exterior and the land in separate posts a little later). I tried to base this ride on the info we know (such as it using the test track technology), as well as the concept art that has been leaked/released (such as the shot of racing cars passing under a bridge with guests standing on it watching).

This ride has two separate entrances, one themed to lightning mcqueen and the other themed to doc. Lightningís ride path is drawn in red, Docís in blue. Riding in the back seat of your respective character, the beginning of each path is a dark ride section, taking you on a brief tour through the characterís life up to the point where they meet.

Lightningís path takes you along the path of stardom, fans shouting, waving, etc, until that fateful night when he finds himself lost and alone in the middle of no where. He then comes across Radiator Springs, which, from his perspective (and therefore the way it looks on this part of the ride), is dingy, run down, muted colors, etc.

Docís path takes him along his early days of racing, his crash, his ostracism from racing, until finally, he finds Radiator Springs. From Docís perspective, the town is beautiful, a breath of fresh air, free and inviting, and the town is designed as such.

When the Lightning and Doc come across each other at the end of town (their paths, as you can see on the drawing, head straight towards each other), we hear Lightning complaining about being stuck in the down, while Doc jumps in to defend it. A race challenge is issued, and the two take off.

Each path follows the same layout, only they are mirror images of each other (I hope that makes sense, look at the drawing to see what I mean. Leave the station, turn further into the show building, go up a semi-steep incline, turn 180 degrees, drift back down to ground level, turn towards one another, pass through the town, then turn to race each other, curving around the rock work (on the "track" where lightning would always spin out), then racing outdoors (more on that later)

After racing along outside (where you race through corn fields, under bridges, across streams, and into/through the piston cup stadium to decide the race once and for all), we enter the show building again.
    This is where part of the re-rideability comes into play. Each race, the winner is randomly decided (by the onboard computers). After slowing back down to dark-ride speed and rounding the corner (see right side of drawing), we see a Mater AA directly in front of us with a large TV screen on either side of him (so that each car can see what is being shown).

These screens show an instant replay of the end of the race, in slow motion mode, so we can see who won. Mater then comments on the results and congratulates the winner ("Whoo-ee! That sure was an excitin race right there! Lightning, youre my best friend, but Doc just wholloped ya like you was a runnin on 3 horsepower"-ok I know, im not as good at the whole red-neck-posing-as-a-tow-truck thing, weíll leave that up to larry the cable guy, but you get the idea).

Each vehicle then pulls into its respective station, passengers get off, and go enjoy the rest of the land (more on that later). I think this ride does offer a lot of rerideability: you can choose which car you want to ride in (each of which offer a slightly different dark-ride portion), and the outcome of the race is different every time.

Lightning could win, Doc could win, the margin of victory could be a couple body lengths, a matter of inches, anywhere in between, or even...a tie! (Dun dun dun)

so what do you guys think? I know this section is text heavy, so I appriciate anyone who read it all and ill appriciate it even more if you leave some feedback...Thanks!!! i'll post my next two images a little later

PS-sorry the image is so small, if you click on it, it should open up and be bigger, i dont know how to host full-size images on the boards
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Re: Carland/Discoveryland Idea!

Very inventive! Thanks for sharing.

OK drawing #2 is the exterior of the ride I described above.

This ride (and the entire land it is in, more on that later) are located in the timon parking lot, south of tower of terror and southeast of bugs land. This cars ride will incorporate 3 distinctive sections. The main dark ride portion (as well as the queue and load/unload stations) are located in the center of the large mountain you can see in the image.

This mountain (in my mind at least, not in the illustration since I suck at drawing lol) would resemble the peaks Lightning and Sally drive through towards the end of the movie, complete with trees, roads, and a large cascading water fall. The mountain would have a lot of the rock work they had in the movie (rocks resembling cars, as you can see above each of the entrance tunnels, where there is a chiseled Lightning and Doc, designating which line is which).

To the left of the drawing, the two racing vehicles enter the corn/hay fields (prime place for tractor tippiní). Note: as you can see from the arrows, the cars leave the dark ride/mountain and enter these fields first, then follow the rest of the path as shown).

Racing past tractors, you hear them moo and get to see them fall over (automatically righting themselves in time for the next group of racing cars). Just as it appears your car is about to slam into the wall of corn, out pops the large tractor/bull thing (blanking on the name), causing the cars to swerve out of the way, turn around, and high-tail it out of there (past more tractors, which tip over)

Now, our cars take a sharp drop (a la indy and the boulder scene), and race under the bridges guests cross over to get into line. Splashing through a small stream (created from the water fall), we then climb out of our ravine and race into the Piston Cup stadium. The cars then take three laps around the track in true nascar fashion.

In the center of the stadium, we see Mac honking for us, and possibly the little italian tire cars (luigi? Is that the name of one of em?) cheering/waving the checkered flag

I should point out that, upon entering the stadium, Lightning has the inner lane, Doc is on the outer part of the track. On the straightaway portion of the track, the carsí paths switch places, thus, allowing each car to be in the lead for a good part of the race. Its not until the cars take the straightaway that leads to the finish line do we have any indication of who might win the race (and even then, we still have to wait for Mater to give us the official results)

next up Iíll post my idea for the land as a whole where this ride will go....

• Knight that says Nee!!

Very well...it has my endorsement...you may begin contruction as soon as Disneyland gives me the power to authorize stuff like that.

OK, final illustration, thanks for hangin in there guys...

The third and final sketch I have is of the all new land built in the Timon lot just south of ToT: Discoveryland. I know, I know, this is the name of the tomorrowland of parisí disneyland, but bear with me here, I think itll work itself out as I explain it all. Plus, "Carland" is just lame lol.

First, to help create a transition from the rigid tower of terror to the large corn fields, mountain, and stadium (all of which help to create a berm of sorts for that corner of the park by the way), I propose a hedge maze to be built just behind ToT (see the drawing). The hedge maze will also help create a bit of a berm for that part of the park. The maze will slightly resemble the one from The Shining, you know, one that gives off a little bit of a sinister feel (to go along with the abandoned hotel right next door), but not anything scary enough to keep away the little ones or anything like that.

During daylight hours, youíll see I have marked off three large sections of the maze, each of which will offer meet and greet areas for your favorite characters. Once the sun sets, creepy lights go on, the "good" disney characters leave, and the villains move in. Now the creepy factor really comes in to play, it doesnt really become a fear fest (like knotts or something, although it might for mickeyís halloween treat), but will still have a creepy factor that would attract teens/young adults.
    The hedge maze will be the new end of HPB, and past that, we enter "Discoveryland," complete with three major new attractions, a sit down restaurant, and an interactive playplace/museum.

Iíve already told you about the Cars attraction, which will border Harbor Blvd. (Just to give you a sense of the orientation of the land). This attraction will curve slightly, so that the corn field stays along Harbor, the mountain is on a bit of an angle, and the stadium runs parallel with Katella.

Behind this attraction (going into the rest of the timon lot towards the south) is a new boutique hotel (which has been rumored to be in the plans somewhere, im not the biggest fan of it myself, but if theyíre tryin to maximize revenues for the resort, and they seem set on doing so by building another hotel, then ill accomodate them).

Across from the corn field part of the Cars ride is a clone of Aquatopia from Tokyo. I cant think of a ride like this anywhere on the west coast (maybe not even in the entire country), and I think its creative enough to be a solid D-ticket in a land with 2 all-new e-tickets.

Right next to this attraction, you will see a log cabin with a water wheel (or at least, my pitiful attempt at drawing one lol). This building will eventually be the entrance to the much desired (at least by the online disney community) Western River Expanion. I say eventually because I donít think Disney will ever devote the amount of money required to open 2 new e-tickets (especially when one of em has the weenie-factor of both a large mountain and an impressive stadium), a d-ticket, a restaurant, etc, all in the same land at the same time.

That said, the WRE log cabin will be built along with the rest of the land, but will remain blocked off until the funds can be secured to build and open the ride sometime later in the future. Iím using the same logic here that Walt used when hyping HM, building a large, prominent looking structure, basically putting up a "come back later" sign up, and building a lot of excitement for the ride before anyone even really knows much about it.

Anyways, once it does open, itíll be the large people eater, family friendly, edutainment but not preachy type ride a park like DCA really needs

....and I just looked at the clock and realized how late its getting, Iíll finish up the rest of the land tomorrow sometime. Thanks for reading this! I know itís a lot of text, but hopefully the pictures explained most of it and you could use the text just as clarification for what I had in mind.

• ...TWO BITS!

I didn't read yet. Just saw the pics.

I also thought of a Discoveryland type area for DCA. For me, I imagined it on the south east corner (in Timon lot of course) behind Pacific Wharf and east of Paradise Pier. Then "Carland" south of "Bugsland/BVF", south of TOT, and north of Discoveryland.

But instead of Discoveryland (name used in DLP like you stated), I optioned for an island. An island is not yet represented in DCA as of yet. But I figured out there's a Discovery Island in DAK. So the project name for me is "Discovery Isle". I was thinking it could perhaps be similar to TDS's Mysterious Island or completely enclosed on an island (water moat) and inside a mountain housing attraction entries, shops, restaurants, restroom, etc.

I won't make a list of attractions I'd like, but the story is CA's scientists and inventors have come together on this island to conduct their experiments and research away from public harm. This is also where the DL monorail has a station platform. I still couldn't see how they WDI could make a complete circuit through PP, doesn't seem logical... but then I'd have to go into detail to explain myself huh?

Anyways, I'll go back and read what you have. Right now, I'm just not inthe mood to be reading.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion FOREVER!

Sorry, I need to join a conference call in a minute...

+ Love the ride. Great job! Nice twist at the end.
    + The land if it's going to be called "Cars" Land needs work on making the attractions fit
    the theme better. If it's western themed, then why not call it "Radiator Springs".

^i think you may have misread my post, i am proposing the new land to be called "Discoveryland". i think the carland name just isnt creative at all.

Using the name Discoveryland, the attractions could be fit in as follows (i have these brief descriptions located on one of the drawings, not sure if they scanned well enough to be read though):

WRE-"Discover the West"
    Cars ride-"Discovery yourself"
    Aquatopia-"Discover fun on the high seas" (i know, lame tie way to make it work, but i'm sure WDI could think of something)

I'll post my finals ideas for the land a little later on, thanks for the comments guys!

I like the idea for the ride, but not the land. Something about racecars doesn't seem to click with Discoveryland to me.

Also, why not have each side win? If they are in seperate stations, then the outcome is known only to your carload of people. That way you could also theme the last scene with Mater as a winner's circle with flashbulbs going off.

• ...TWO BITS!

VERY intersting ideas.

2 tracks looping 3 times appears to be a daunting task.

I like the mountain show building facade. Eariler, I imagined a stadium track for McQueen...

I would like to see a separate C/D ticket family dark ride that just strolls/driving tour of Radiator Springs. Meet all the characters and enter through all their businesses. Referring to the scene where they fixed their neon.

The CARS eticket loading I would imagine it being the McQueen HQ building.

The part with the cars dipping past a stream and under a queue bridge sounds similar to Paramount's Itailian Job coaster. But I'm cool with that.

I'm sure "Carsland" is just the project name. "Discoveryland" re-name I'm not thrilled about. I think the new land should reflect the desert range of Route 66 in its 1950s heyday. So having structures like the Sunglass Dinoshack relocated here would be great, plus other 1950s style structures. The Sci-Fi Dinin' from D-MGM would be ideal, or renamed Drivin' Dinin'/ Drive n Dine In.

I would also post what else I'd like to see, but I won't.

Timon lot is quite large. Which is why I think at least 2 lands may fit with enough backstage to house decent size attraction buildings, etc.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park