Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Steve Davison's Wonderful World of Color

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5jvWuIiGsc[/youtube]

When Walt Disney moved his phenomenally-popular "Disneyland" anthology series from A.B.C. to N.B.C., the latter television network made the program the showcase, the "killer ap.", if you will, on said network's schedule for the then-new color television, which the parent company, R.C.A., was in the process of popularizing.

Disney, of course, being the brilliant businessman he was, had predicted this innovation and had filmed all of his previous television shows in color before there was ever such a thing as color television. So, he, naturally, had an interest, himself, in seeing the new technology adopted as quickly as possible in much the same way that the Disney of today sees the potential for selling its library all over again to people with Blu-Ray disc players.

The title of the show was even changed to remind audiences with black-and-white televisions of all that these viewers were missing by not having this new technology.

In the near future, Disneyland, which inspired the original anthology series, as well as Disney's California Adventure, will, in turn, inspire, through "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", a new nighttime pageant on the pacific waters of Paradise Bay.

Would anyone care to speculate as to how Steve Davison's Wonderful World of Color at Disney's California Adventure might relate to or differ from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color on N.B.C?

• Know More Than You Should

Re: Steve Davison's Wonderful World of Color

While I'm sure the main theme from the show will be used (and well it should; it's a good tune and not used as often as some of the other songs), I think the similarity will be mostly in name. Obivously the show will incorporate color- through fireworks and fountains- but I don't think the show will really be themed to the television show of old, which many younger audiences may be unaware of to begin with.

While this isn't exactly an easy goal, what DCA needs is a west coast Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. Something that combines music, visuals, and story so well that the audience starts tearing up. That would certainly pack in the crouds over the aging Fantasmic!, and give people a reason to stay multiple days so that they can see both WWOC and the Disneyland fireworks.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I would expect the differences will far outweigh the similarities. I see the theme music as a possible consistency between the two, but not much beyond that.

The title of the new show may lead one to believe there will be an incorporation of familiar elements, but those expecting them, I think, will be disappointed.

There are certainly many creative ways to engage and appease the fans of the TV show, but I doubt that these said fans are being recognized as the real target audience.

Also, the new show will be much wetter than the old

• Minion

Talking Re: Steve Davison's Wonderful World of Color

Oh, thanks so much for posting that clip.

The song always makes me tear up - - for me it represents the best of what Walt Disney and his works communicated. I love all the opening theme versions too.

Sniff!

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Yeah the only I see that would be similar would be the music. Everything will probably be themed around the "color" part of the name. I hope they do this with great class since that show was very classy and well put together for its time. Thanks for the video
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

hehe...I wonder if they like color?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

That video brings back so many memories. For whatever reason, that song has always brought tears to my eyes. Even as a child.

Sentimental, nostalgic, silly me. Let's hope the DCA lagoon show has an equal amount of color and heart.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Can see my car from here

I agree with others here, that music from the Wonderful World of Color will be used in the new show. I would think that the main theme will be used as the anchor/hook for a new composition that will accompany the show. The original song and orchestration holds sentimental value for many who remember the TV episodes, and would evoke an instant emotional connection to the show for that part of the audience. And those too young to remember the TV show will be able to enjoy it for the first time.

I'm sure the new show will feature the original WWoC music (or variations of) as its opening and closing theme, with some new "stuff" inbetween.

"Thanks Captain Obvious, especially since the name of the show is 'Wonderful World of Color'..." (Heh, I just ragged myself in my own post. I'm only a schizophrenic, but I've still got each other...)

Anyway, I'm we're looking forward to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    ... for me it represents the best of what Walt Disney and his works communicated. I love all the opening theme versions too.
    I very much agree. The kaleidoscopic imagery and the theme have always appealed to me, and I've long associated them with exiting Disneyland at the end of a night and returning to the Outside World. The music undeniably belongs in the Main Entry Plaza during the evening hours.

There is something so aesthetically pleasurable, too, in the view of a rim-lit Sleeping Beauty Castle right before Tinker Bell splashes it with pixie dust.

For a long time, now, I've been describing, as I did in your thread about the Hyperion Avenue studios (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17167), a California park that has guests entering from Main Street, U.S.A. in 1923 and exiting to Disneyland in 1955. And, I can't think of any better way to return guests to that moment in time than by using footage from the black-and-white television series that was so instrumental in the creation and opening of The Magic Kingdom at the middle of the last century. This fact is the reason that I was struck by the idea of "The Wonderful World of Color" at D.C.A. when I first learned of the project.

"The Wonderful World of Color" is, I'm sure, intended to be a nighttime finale that will serve as the California park's "good-night kiss". And, with it, Disney has the opportunity to present the black-and-white footage as a counterpoint to the titular color so that, at the most opportune moment, the black and white can be replaced with an explosion of hues.

Even more intriguing is the possibility that color might be used to symbolize the effect Disneyland has had on the world and on California.

Before The Magic Kingdom opened its gates, the world was a series of grays. But, afterwards, the color-blindness of humanity was cured by the wisdom, joy, humanity, inspiration, and enlightenment Disneyland provided. The way we perceive our lives has been changed by a former orange grove in Anaheim, and that phenomenon could serve as the basis for an exploration by Steve Davison in "The Wonderful World of Color".

• Koubu Pilot

I miss Vault Disney. Seeing the show in all its forms, was my only reason to stay up late. I liked the Wonderful World of Color episodes most. It featured familiars like Annette and still showcased the park. The Sherman Bros wrote a fine opening song.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Oh, thanks so much for posting that clip.

The song always makes me tear up - - for me it represents the best of what Walt Disney and his works communicated. I love all the opening theme versions too.

Sniff!
    Hear Hear!! That clip actually brought tears to my eyes. I told my wife (who is my age) that we were so lucky to grow up in the 1960's when this was all new... and sincere... and real!
    *sniff* excuse me now... I have to go to the powder room.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

I could so easily see a magnificent score and updated rendition of the theme song. It could be so powerful and I see the water columns exploding into the sky above the bay as I listen to that. The possibilites are endless with how they could portray natures themes or the colors they describe in that clip.

• Koubu Pilot

I remeber an episode with Ludwig von Drake that came from before Wonderful World of Color (the first time they filmed in color?). He had his own little song about color. So people with black and white sets didn't feel left out, he then did a similar, shorter song about black, white, and grey!! I really hope this new show does justice to the classic show. The technology we have now can really create a visually stunning show. As long as the music...

I don't think we'll have a problem with the visuals being out of synch with the audio. Look at Remember. They used the fireworks, music, other visual effects, and Tinkerbell quite well. Everyone who saw this last year's Holiday Wishes said they improved the quality of the show with using the right fireworks with the right music and cues, making it better than previous years.

• Minion

>>I remember an episode with Ludwig von Drake that came from before Wonderful World of Color (the first time they filmed in color?). He had his own little song about color.<<

From "An Adventure in Color" - the first episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color in 1961, introducing Ludwig VonDrake. His song was "The Spectrum Song" - - that nature clip also comes from this episode.

They had filmed color TV episodes in the past (going all the wy back to Davy Crockett) but this was the first color broadcast.

• Banned User

I am a friend of Steve Davison's and he let me know a little bit on this spectauclar show that he is creating for DCA. Of course i cannot give away some surprises but, i do know for a fact that this show will just blow people away. One for the fact that he has brought many wonderful parades and shows to life here in Anahiem like, Eureka, LightMagic, Believe, Remember Dreams Come True, and Parade of Dreams. The vision for this show is that Disney's The Wonderful World of Color show will serve as a wonderful way to say goodnight to DCA guests in 2009. The show will be sorta bellagio-fantasmic meets Tokyo Disneyland's Mythica style, the combination of lazers,water jets, projections, fireworks, and floating style barges, this show will be just spectauclar. Of course there will be footage projected onto the water (just like fantasmic), and a wonderful new soundtrack to accompany the show, i think bruce healey will be working on the soundtrack. The show is mostly geared towards the films and not the TV show, it will feature many many films and wonderful memories of disney through the years like, Steamboat Wille, Snow White, Fantasia, Cinderella, and recent hits like The Little Mermaid, Nemo, Pirates, and of course Walt Disney & Tinkerbell. So im sure that DCA's attendence will pick up once this show opens on the lagoon. What do you think???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast