Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Being 106 years old...I'd bet he'd be feeling pretty crappy.

But is it Walt, or just his head...

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

A side from the chipped paint and little things like that I think he would be amazed to see what the place has grown into after all these years, the new things that have been added, the new fireworks, the new tech. in HM as welll as many other attractions, the Fantasyland remodel.

The fact that Disneyland is so great to so many people and so so many websites including Micechat which as meets every Sunday in his special park. Sure theres little flaws here and there like a broken AA , burnt out light bulb or chipped paint but if you look and see what Walts little kingdom has done to touch so many lives here and around the world I think he would be even more proud.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by tvikorn View Post
    Sometimes when I stroll around Disneyland admiring the little details, I happen to spot the not so admirable details, such as chipped paint, burnt out bulbs, rotting wood (e.g. the Mark Twain) and I'm always reminded that went Walt was walking around the part he'd make sure everything was painted, all burnt out bulbs would be replaced right away..and there's no way he'd let anything go into decay!Granted the park has been put into better shape for the 50th but these are things that should be enforced every single day!

I mean this was a man that would spend that extra dollar to make something happen, like he put a second mortgage on his house and did all sorts of crazy financial moves to make Disneyland happen...and he built the WHOLE place in a YEAR..now attractions take years with mediocre entertainment (Pooh ride) So now I ask, what do you people think Walt would do/say about his beloved park? I'd think the pooh is gonna fly!
    Yeah there might be chips of paint here and there, burnt out lamps etc. But these are things are minor problems compared to some other parks around the country.

Don't get me wrong. There are countless things that managment is doing wrong in the park in my own eyes. But I honestly think there could be a little more effort given from managment in other areas -- namely cast members.

And honestly, if a rude cast member has ruined your 'Disney Experience' YOU aren't going to care that much about the chipped paint on the wall behind the said cast member.
    Class of 2005...

• no flash photography...

I don't think he would be that upset about chipped paint and other stuff. I've seen pictures of the park from his day with light bulbs out and a ladder on main street doing some sort of repair while the park was open.

besides when he passed he was about ready to aim his focus on WDW. Once a project was finished he usually moved on without looking back.

• Closed Account

He'd grab some gauntlet gloves, order the engineer aside, and hop in the cab of the E.P. Ripley, exuberant at the fact that his steam trains are still running and exciting guests every day. Then he'd blow the whistle and chew up the mainline.

(yes, I know they're currently down.)

I think would ask, "What the hell is a fast pass?"
    I like Disneyland...it's pretty sweet.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    Ah yes, the old "WWWD(OT)" - What Would Walt Do (Or Think)...

Here's a theory that I don't often see:

Maybe he wouldn't really care that much about the park(s). In the same way that he lost interest in animated films while building Disneyland, many reports have stated that toward the end of his life he was losing interest in DL as he became more consumed with his (original vision for) EPCOT.

When discussing his Project X (aka WDW), sure he was gonna have a theme park just like DL, but what he was really excited about was his experimental city.

So maybe he wouldn't be overly concerned with his theme park(s). He mighta been too busy building cities.
    This is actually an accurate viewpoint, I think. I think some people assume for some reason that he should be proud and impressed with Disneyland compared to the state he left it in when he died.

We need to keep in mind that when he died, Disneyland was already open for 11 years and by this time there was no doubt that he had created the premier amusement park in the world. It's not like he died the day after the grand opening.

I think he would be very impressed with all the changes made due to the increased technology of today's age. I don't think he would be happy if he felt that these increased technologies did not serve to tell a story that he felt was worth telling. And oh yes -- he would not want chipped paint or burnt out lights!

• It's all nonsense

He'd be pissed because he couldn't find a cigarette anywhere.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

"What would Walt think" threads come up all the time. They are challenging in that there is no way for us to know what Walt would think about things the way they are now. But using Walt's own actions could give us some clues.

For example, Walt was pretty quick about replacing attractions which didn't serve their purpose well or which weren't popular (such as the flying saucers, the Moonliner, multiple versions of the Autopia or Midget Autopia). Walt's Tomorrowland was never complete. It was constantly changing with new shows and attractions. It leads me to believe that were Walt still alive and well, he would have long ago replaced both Honey I shrunk the Audience and Innoventions - which are neither popular, nor do they suit the needs of Tomorrowland.

I don't think he would have had any problem with the attempts to make older attractions more popular by adding overlays and new effects. In fact, it is exactly the sort of thing Walt would often proclaim a need for after one of his walks in the park. Keep things fresh, add new details.

Overall, I think he'd be pleased that his 50 year old park is more popular than ever and has withstood the test of time. Sure, there are areas and thing that he be upset with (maintenance, aging attractions, DCA), but on the whole, Disneyland looks much better today than it did in the 50s and 60s. Over the years, more and more details have been added, queues improved, attractions plussed.

Disneyland is one 50 year old that has only gotten better with age (just a few age spots that still need to get zapped with a laser)
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    He'd be pissed because he couldn't find a cigarette anywhere.
    Interesting...

Any of you historians, or those who remember...

Did Disneyland sell cigarettes when it first opened? I would say no, if only because I bet Walt wouldn't want cigarette butts all over the walkways!

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Interesting...

Did Disneyland sell cigarettes when it first opened? I would say no, if only because I bet Walt wouldn't want cigarette butts all over the walkways!
    I've read stories of DL having them under the counter. You'd have to ask to get them.

• Helmsdad

I think Walt would be amazed at several things.

1. I think he would be AMAZED at how much the surrounding area had changed AND how he NAILED the fact that the location of the park had become a population BOOM CENTER.

2. I don't think he would like CM's taking their respective costumes home. (He reportedly flipped when a CM wearing a cowboy get-up was once spotted in Tomorrowland).
    3. Deleted by poster
    4. I think he would like DCA and have MANY ideas.
    5. I think he would understand the sensitivities concerning Song of the South's canning, but still would find it unfortunate and look for ways to release it in a "sensitive" way. Maybe with Lennard Maltin explaining all the information concerning the movie (in an intro).

6. I think he would say "where's the Happiest Millionaire" Ride?

Did I just say that?

• Closed Account

There was a tobacconist store on Main Street. The Indian is still there...

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    The skyway was one of Walt's best ideas?
    Yeah forget about audio animatronics, full length animated features or even a park where children and parents could have fun together, Walt's best idea was a bunch of buckets suspended from moving cables offering you a view of the spectacular rooftops of Fantasyland. Nothing says Fantasy like those rooftop air-conditioning units.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the skyway, but seriously "one of Walt's best ideas"? Not by a long shot. Besides it wasn't even his idea, many parks and ski areas already had skyways long before Disneyland's. Sure it was a nice addition to the park, but let's save the title of "Walt's best ideas" for innovative things he actually invented and pioneered.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Interesting...

Walt himself was a heavy smoker. He would probably be puzzled by the idea of the smoking section in the park...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast