Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    There was a tobacconist store on Main Street. The Indian is still there...
    I remember one time when I was a sweeper, me and 2 of my buddies bought cigar's at the smoke shop and then hot boxed one of the custodial trucks backstage of main street.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    I think Walt would be amazed at several things.

1. I think he would be AMAZED at how much the surrounding area had changed AND how he NAILED the fact that the location of the park had become a population BOOM CENTER.
    Actually Walt himself didn't predict how the location of the park would become a population boom center. That prediction came from the Stanford Research Institute, who he hired to assist him in selcting the prime location for his park.

• The one, the only...

I think that Walt would be basically pleased today. His goal with Disneyland was to create a place in which both kids and adults could have fun together. He wanted to make people happy. Disneyland still does that.

We know that Walt had fights with corporate types in his day who wanted to lower the quality to increase the profits. He believed that quality would win out over cheap fixes. I think that Disneyland's original quality still delights guests. As an example of that, Walt Disney spend money on building quality submarines. Because that extra money was spent, this year the submarines will open again. If Walt had built cheap look-alike subs, they would have rusted through by now. Quality does end up being cheaper in the end.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    "What would Walt think" threads come up all the time. They are challenging in that there is no way for us to know what Walt would think about things the way they are now. But using Walt's own actions could give us some clues.

For example, Walt was pretty quick about replacing attractions which didn't serve their purpose well or which weren't popular (such as the flying saucers, the Moonliner, multiple versions of the Autopia or Midget Autopia). Walt's Tomorrowland was never complete. It was constantly changing with new shows and attractions. It leads me to believe that were Walt still alive and well, he would have long ago replaced both Honey I shrunk the Audience and Innoventions - which are neither popular, nor do they suit the needs of Tomorrowland.

I don't think he would have had any problem with the attempts to make older attractions more popular by adding overlays and new effects. In fact, it is exactly the sort of thing Walt would often proclaim a need for after one of his walks in the park. Keep things fresh, add new details.

Overall, I think he'd be pleased that his 50 year old park is more popular than ever and has withstood the test of time. Sure, there are areas and thing that he be upset with (maintenance, aging attractions, DCA), but on the whole, Disneyland looks much better today than it did in the 50s and 60s. Over the years, more and more details have been added, queues improved, attractions plussed.

Disneyland is one 50 year old that has only gotten better with age (just a few age spots that still need to get zapped with a laser)
    I have to agree with Dusty on this one... however I think Walt would be surprised that (although we know otherwise, prior to the 50th) management has actually done a pretty decent job (over the last 4 years) of maintaining and polishing up the old gal.
    I for one, was very surprised and overjoyed when Disneyland started getting her "Spit and Polish" leading up to, and during, the 50th. It was great to see the Park turn after the Pressler regime got kicked out!
    Thank God for Senior Vice President Greg Emmer, and ex-Disneyland President Matt Ouimet. They knew, and understood the value of "The Show".
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    There was a tobacconist store on Main Street. The Indian is still there...
    Not only was there a Tobacco shop on Main Street (where the Music/CD shop is now), but Walt often purchased various tobaccos he discovered on trips abroad and had them shipped to the shop for sale there. They also had a fine selection of pipes in all price ranges.

Disneyland also had its own brand of cigars that were sold in "Disneyland" boxes or individually. Complete with custom cigar bands over the decades. Also, practically every restaurant in the Park and even other locations had their own custom matchbooks to hand out to smokers.

Coin operated cigarette machines were pretty common throughout the Park at one time. Then later most cigarette sales occurred from displays behind the cashier at various counter locations. Finally they went into a drawer and weren't so publicly displayed.

Back in those days not only did Walt smoke anywhere he liked in the Park...but so did most of the Guests. Cigarettes, pipes, cigars. Here's your typical "father" of the era...puffing on his stogy in Town Square:

Walt was a huge fan of all types of tobacco products. He'd smoke cigarettes mostly (and like a chimney), but he also enjoyed the slim European mini-cigars (cigarettos) and full on hand-rolled cigars.

And there were plenty of places to smoke within Disneyland, as basically the only places you couldn't smoke was on the rides!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    And there were plenty of places to smoke within Disneyland, as basically the only places you couldn't smoke was on the rides!

Were you allowed to smoke in the lines?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Were you allowed to smoke in the lines?
    Yep. Outdoor lines at least.

People smoked everywhere back in those days. In fact I think it would be safe to say that nobody thought much of it and would never even think of asking someone that was smoking in line to put out their cigarette! It was just that common and acceptable. You could almost say people had the right to smoke almost anywhere back then. The only restrictions to smoking back in those days...were fire safety related.

It still is in much of the rest of the world.

Heck...not that long ago people used to smoke cigars, cigarettes, pipes...on the airlines!!!

Ask that Marine Corp (probably served in WWII) father in that picture up there to put out his stogy...and after looking at you like you were from another planet...he probably would have decked you!

I remember in the 1950's and in the 1960's...almost all adults smoked. In movie theaters...even in hospitals! Nobody seemed to gag on "second-hand smoke" or seemed to be allergic to it. Non-smoking section? Only if you were really lucky. Non-smoking sections didn't come around until much later.

I never smoked cigarettes, but I remember everyone smoking them up in Club 33. I did smoke a few cigars up there in the early years however. They had a humidor they brought right to your table after dinner. You selected your cigar to accompany your Port, and then lit it (or your cigarette) up with Club 33 common book type matches with your name embossed in gold on the cover of them, or special Club 33 boxed wood stick matches for your cigar or pipe.

The gentleman in this picture from the Club's 1967 Opening Prospectus (who I happen to personally know to this day, BTW!) in Club 33's old Trophy Room...has a pipe in his hand.

Different world back then.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-09-2007 at 05:00 PM.

• For You!

I think Walt would be happy to see that Harbor blvd has been cleaned up quite a bit.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Lost in Wonderland

Not only was there a Tobacco shop on Main Street (where the Music/CD shop is now), but Walt often purchased various tobaccos he discovered on trips abroad and had them shipped to the shop for sale there. They also had a fine selection of pipes in all price ranges.

Disneyland also had its own brand of cigars that were sold in "Disneyland" boxes or individually. Complete with custom cigar bands over the decades. Also, practically every restaurant in the Park and even other locations had their own custom matchbooks to hand out to smokers.

Coin operated cigarette machines were pretty common throughout the Park at one time. Then later most cigarette sales occurred from displays behind the cashier at various counter locations. Finally they went into a drawer and weren't so publicly displayed.

Back in those days not only did Walt smoke anywhere he liked in the Park...but so did most of the Guests. Cigarettes, pipes, cigars. Here's your typical "father" of the era...puffing on his stogy in Town Square:

Walt was a huge fan of all types of tobacco products. He'd smoke cigarettes mostly (and like a chimney), but he also enjoyed the slim European mini-cigars (cigarettos) and full on hand-rolled cigars.

Man I wish I had visited Disneyland in THAT era! Now when I go to Disneyland and I am smoking in the designated area, people walk by and give me dirty looks.

When I was at Disneyland Paris you could smoke ANYWHERE, including inside the restaurants. Loved it!

• Disnoid

He would probably find himself saying repeatedly "Another show where the concept is that something goes wrong?..."
    We are now under way and proceeding on a course that will take us on a voyage of exploration through liquid space.

• Carry On My Wayward Son..

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    Yeah forget about audio animatronics, full length animated features or even a park where children and parents could have fun together, Walt's best idea was a bunch of buckets suspended from moving cables offering you a view of the spectacular rooftops of Fantasyland. Nothing says Fantasy like those rooftop air-conditioning units.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the skyway, but seriously "one of Walt's best ideas"? Not by a long shot. Besides it wasn't even his idea, many parks and ski areas already had skyways long before Disneyland's. Sure it was a nice addition to the park, but let's save the title of "Walt's best ideas" for innovative things he actually invented and pioneered.
    k so maybe it wasn't one of his best ideas but i think it majorly sucks that they took it down..i mean it was a very purposeful and convenient thing to have in the park
    From Family Guy:

When Brian the dog meets Michael Eisner at the car wash...

"Come to Disneyland!!!!! BRING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

What do you mean Walt's turning over in his grave? He's been doing
    8500 rpm for years!

What did you do with the Harbor marque???

What did you do with my ticket books?!?!?

WHAT THE @#$% IS AN AP?!?!?!?!

"They's two B's in basketball!"

• Banned User

"Disneyland will never be completed as long as theres imagination left in the world"

-Walt Disney

Walt would love the park today.

• is satisfactual.

No offense, but when a person's been dead for thirty years I certainly hope they'll have had enough of a spiritual epiphany not to get all worked up over chipped paint.

• California Golden Bear

Doesn't Mickey look shorter in this picture than he does today? Of course it was taken along time I suppose he's grown since then.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast