Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• California Golden Bear

Re: How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

Quote Originally Posted by tvikorn View Post
    k so maybe it wasn't one of his best ideas but i think it majorly sucks that they took it down..i mean it was a very purposeful and convenient thing to have in the park
    I agree, the Skyway was wonderful and I miss it too. How I long to once again fly up above the world "like a tea-tray in the sky."
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    Doesn't Mickey look shorter in this picture than he does today? Of course it was taken along time I suppose he's grown since then.
    In those days Mickey was a shorter person inside. And in those days each character had its "main man" so-to-speak. The person who was say the #1 Mickey.

Until sometime in the 80's...Disneyland's #1 Mickey was a gentleman named Joe. He was Mickey most of the time (and probably is in that photo) and it was always commanded by official memo from City Hall that Joe be Mickey at any special event for Press or when dignitaries came to the Park. He just had the mannerisms down pat and was considered the very best Mickey. He was shortish.

I remember him being at my table at the Contemporary Resort at one of the Grand Opening of Walt Disney World events in 1971. Guess they flew him out to help train Cast Members. They started a slide show of Disneyland's history and as they showed Walt with Mickey and celebs with Mickey etc, etc...he sat there and smiled and said, "That was me. That was me too. That's me. I remember that day. There I am again." He was so funny.

There were a lot more little people (midgets...is that PC to say these days?) in those days in the Character Department too. Donald was a different costume and was very short and he would literally waddle as he walked. His little ducky tush was just inches from the ground. That was a great costume! The current Donald costume (which I think looks more like Howard the Duck than Donald) was designed to be a much taller Donald so that someone of more average build could man them. Same with some other characters.

Donald had a #1 guy too. He was a little person. Can't recall his name but I have it around here somewhere. He eventually moved up the ranks of the Character Department and moved into management. Don't know where Joe or he is now.

But in a nutshell...YES...Mickey and many of the other characters were shorter back then.

• Banned User

Did Walt smoke at his park?

• An Actors Life 4 Me!!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    No offense, but when a person's been dead for thirty years I certainly hope they'll have had enough of a spiritual epiphany not to get all worked up over chipped paint.
    dude it's not just 'chipped' paint..you wanna know WHY tomorrowland was in the "bronze" age? so all that bronze,copper,and brown color will help the decay BLEND in with everything else...those are points I'm making..along with other little knick knack stuff..but that stuff oughta piss him off..I'm sure he'd have mixed reactions with everything going on i'm sure he wouldn't be just mad..as other people have mentioned he'd be delighted to see all the good stuff too
    From Family Guy:

When Brian the dog meets Michael Eisner at the car wash...

"Come to Disneyland!!!!! BRING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    my guess would be yes. he spent the night there a lot and people who have smoking habits usually have withdrawals if they go without.

• The Ghost Poster.

Only Walt can answer that.

But I'd say, if he were still alive today, he would think how it was once a happy place and is now a place for corporate business. I'm sure he would be disgusted where he would see chipped paint, broken things, and how long it takes just to make a ride because nobody really wants to do it for others. He would be outraged how it's all based on stock and legal mumbo jumbo and never just for happiness to others.

I don't really know though. That's how I would feel.. But he's a different person.

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    There was a tobacconist store on Main Street. The Indian is still there...
    I have a very old, very worn matchbook from the Main Street Tobacco Store. The cover has a gold foil background with an illustration of the indian and the name of the store in the classic Disneyland font... at least I recall it being that font. I have it tucked away somewhere and haven't looked at it in a while.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Absolutely! Walt usually was smoking. But, he would get bowed up if he was photographed with a cigarette in his hand, but there are plenty of pics in the E-Ticket magazine with Walt smoking.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Yes he did, when he was in his casual "work clothes" and was not officiating at any sort of event or special Guest visit. He smoked both onstage and backstage. But I was told he usually didn't when "on the move" walking throughout his park. But sometimes he did. Perhaps he did this to keep his hands free so that he could makes notes, sign autographs, etc.

When he wanted a cigarette I was told he usually "pulled over" to a table tucked back in some corner somewhere and sat and had his smoke. I was told he also often had a cup of coffee during these smoking breaks in the Park.

I was also told he usually discarded the cigarette if photos of him were expected to be taken.

Later...sometime in the early 60's...I was told he started smoking almost exclusively backstage and tried to avoid smoking onstage altogether.

Usually the only photos you find of Walt smoking are candid shots. Even some of those have since had the cigarette carefully airbrushed out of the photo. But what's funny about that is that even though the cigarette is now gone...sometimes its shadow can still be spotted somewhere nearby.

Smile Re: How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

I think Walt would marvel at how many inventions that were vast breakthroughs in his time were never capitalized on. The people mover, the monorail, earthquakproof pre-fab housing, etc.

With the exception of the monorail, they all went by the wayside, and people still love to get onboard his old steam trains.

I think most people who visit this board think about this, and if you're like me you can see a vast difference in Disneyland - and every other park out there. That's the magic, and it's like a good sunset - to some people it's like a beautiful painting, and yet others just walk on by.

I just hope they don't whittle away at the Disney magic at the park in the name of renovation. I know it's not a museum, but before they stucco main street station and paint it pink, I think somebody should consider what Disneyland means to so many of us that get "it". Walt risked a lot betting that people would "get" the magic of Disneyland, and sometimes I think we owe it to his memory to keep some of his park just the way it was...

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by tvikorn View Post
    dude it's not just 'chipped' paint..you wanna know WHY tomorrowland was in the "bronze" age? so all that bronze,copper,and brown color will help the decay BLEND in with everything else...those are points I'm making..along with other little knick knack stuff..but that stuff oughta piss him off..I'm sure he'd have mixed reactions with everything going on i'm sure he wouldn't be just mad..as other people have mentioned he'd be delighted to see all the good stuff too
    Just trying to put a little perspective on this hypothetical situation here. If Walt, in some Christmas movie miracle, would get a chance to see the park today, I think it would warm the old man's heart to see that his legacy was continued, to see that people still have the sort of fun and children still have that magical experience they did in his original visions, yada yada.

I've seen enough schmaltzy movies to know that that's all that really matters in the end. A smile on a child and that sort of crap. The point is, he certainly wouldn't go nitpicking at the state of the moldings on the Plaza Inn. And I certainly hope we all will stop doing that once we die.

he'd probably look at California Adventure and say 'what a crappy idea. you guys wasted all this space on a commercial for the state that people already paid to come visit.' then he would have spun around and moonwalked out of the park and gotten trashed at House of Blues. There he would have encountered his arch nemesis Bizzaro World Walt and gotten into a fight.
    "See, I didn't get the name Bad Billy Pratt for nothing."

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

even though i really don't think we should be asking this question in the first place...

i seem to think he would be ok with most everything... DCA included

My Maleficent tattoo

I think he may have had problems with DCA because it's not immersive enough in a fantasy environment. You can see a steel roller coaster or a rapids ride at any old theme park, so it's not as special. Theme it up to a ride through outer space or a Swiss mountain and it becomes a million times different.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

I wan to see the look on his face when he sees Jack Sparrow in POTC. I think overall Walt would be somewhat happy, all the families still enjoying the wholesomeness of DisneyLand. Plus, he'd wake up to a KILLER bank account =D

Yesyesyes also he would be amazed at all the technology, all the updateness of the park after his passing.

Of course he might not like the prices for one of his own churros, but I think the overall response would be good.

You know, untill he walked into Tomorrow Land or something.
    Each emotion is a different flavor. What flavor do you like?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast