Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Re: The Frog Princess in New Orleans Square

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Who said someone else couldn't get a hold of one of those passes illicitly or fake one? Don't be complacent.
    I'm being realistic.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

I am objectively criticizing any conception of The Magic Kingdom that has New Orleans Square and Critter Country as being independent of the realm of Frontierland.

Even apart from any discussion of original design intent, the narrow definition of Frontierland and the irrelevance it has to New Orleans Square and Critter Country, as suggested by some of the participants to this discussion, are creative weaknesses. Dramatic and thematic unities are essential, and the quintessence of the realms that radiate like the four cardinal points of the compass from Central Plaza imbues The Magic Kingdom with its most fundamental artistic merit.

I've grown disgusted with MiceChat over the course of this discussion. I would never have expected such a defense of the changes made to New Orleans Square and Critter Country by Eisner, Pressler, and Harriss, and I, likewise, cannot believe anyone is satisfied with these parts of Disneyland as they continue to be perverted and bastardized under the stewardship of Rasulo, Fitzgerald, and Hamburger. But, if such modifications are what some people want, then so be it.

With the "new and improved" New Orleans Square, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, and the House of Blues, who needs to visit the real New Orleans? Disney's Louisiana Adventure is just so much better.

A few days ago, Steve DeGaetano used the analogy of frogs frolicking in temperate water without realizing that it is growing ever warmer. The water has been too hot for me for a while now. And, I left it a few months ago. So, the rest of you frogs can have your children's toys in Tomorrowland and your Jerry Bruckheimer pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island and your Christopher Robin nursery toys in Critter Country. I'll be spending my leisure time and my entertainment dollars on more worthwhile activities that actually have: meaning; integrity; quality; intelligence; and, imagination.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 03-19-2007 at 11:16 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Wow ... just ... Wow. Wasn't aware that having a discussion about Disneyland of all places would be frowned upon because it doesn't have meaning, integrity, quality, intelligence and imagination.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I've grown disgusted with MiceChat over the course of this discussion.
    I dunno, Prag--I would've thought you, most of all, would be accustomed to the nature of these boards. Disagreement is the predictable by-product of this type of exchange of opinions.
    We all have specific ideas regarding what Disneyland should or shouldn't be--most are as passionate about those ideas as you are. Being upset about changes to a place you love is certainly understandable, but being upset at others for not feeling upset also about said changes doesn't seem reasonable to me. I doubt there is anyone on this board who feels about Disneyland the exact same way I myself feel. This does not, to me, negate MiceChat's relevance or worth.
    In either case; go or stay; agree or disagree, I have enjoyed your posts.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 03-19-2007 at 12:23 PM.

• Former Epcot CM

I am objectively criticizing any conception of The Magic Kingdom that has New Orleans Square and Critter Country as being independent of the realm of Frontierland.

Even apart from any discussion of original design intent, the narrow definition of Frontierland and the irrelevance it has to New Orleans Square and Critter Country, as suggested by some of the participants to this discussion, are creative weaknesses. Dramatic and thematic unities are essential, and the quintessence of the realms that radiate like the four cardinal points of the compass from Central Plaza imbues The Magic Kingdom with its most fundamental artistic merit.

I've grown disgusted with MiceChat over the course of this discussion. I would never have expected such a defense of the changes made to New Orleans Square and Critter Country by Eisner, Pressler, and Harriss, and I, likewise, cannot believe anyone is satisfied with these parts of Disneyland as they continue to be perverted and bastardized under the stewardship of Rasulo, Fitzgerald, and Hamburger. But, if such modifications are what some people want, then so be it.

With the "new and improved" New Orleans Square, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, and the House of Blues, who needs to visit the real New Orleans? Disney's Louisiana Adventure is just so much better.

A few days ago, Steve DeGaetano used the analogy of frogs frolicking in temperate water without realizing that it is growing ever warmer. The water has been too hot for me for a while now. And, I left it a few months ago. So, the rest of you frogs can have your children's toys in Tomorrowland and your Jerry Bruckheimer pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island and your Christopher Robin nursery toys in Critter Country. I'll be spending my leisure time and my entertainment dollars on more worthwhile activities that actually have: meaning; integrity; quality; intelligence; and, imagination.
    I could explain the fierce arguments against your comments and the general disagreement from many with what you are saying by simply saying that maybe your percieved narrow-mindedness and refusal to accept and take into account what other posters are saying is just making other people more stubborn and determined to argue with you.

I have noticed that no matter how many excellent points and staring-you-in-the-face-blatantly-obvious facts have been stated towards you, you refuse to be influenced by them. I dunno. I'm only 16.

I can't wait to visit Disney's Louisiana Adventure btw.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

I have a very good question.
    If they are to be with Frontierland, why are they seperated on the park maps?

If you go by the rules you decided on, then Innoventions in TL should be it's own subsection. Oh, and the Rivers of America should also be it's own subsection, not listed under Frontierland. Oh yeah, Jungle Cruise is big enough, it should be it's own subsection of Adventureland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I agree that Critter Country is really Frontierland, Part II plus Pooh.

But it was Bear Country before I was born and when I was little, that's what I grew up with.

The "lands of the Rivers of America" are cohesively tied together by the river (am I quoting "Mystic River"???) that flows between them.

But I have always felt New Orleans Square was THE MOST distinctive of the 8 lands of Disneyland. It's always been my favorite area in the Rivers of America section of Disneyland.

Pragmatic, please step back from the ledge, we love you, man!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: The Frog Princess in New Orleans Square

Does anyone have any thoughts about the prospect of the frog princess finding a home in the New Orleans Square area of Frontierland?
    I think the answer to your question, is there are a lot of us who feel strongly that she should be welcomed with open arms, and others who are in the preservationist camp that would like to see this historic national landmark preserved (I don't think it's been officially declared as such, but I'll call it that.)

I would like to see the Antique shop come back, and wouldn't want to see the modern looking NOS musicians, but I'm not resistant to change overall, I think in some cases the changes will be good for Disneyland. I think NOS can be 1860s, Pirates and Frog Princess all at the same time. Mansion and POTC have been balancing each other for 40 years now. They have nothing to do with each other. They're not even in the same land in any other park, because it's a strange marriage of AA masterpieces in one place.

I think you thought everybody would say, "NO, no more new characters in the parks." I think that is madness. That's not what the parks are meant to be, Walt Disney constantly synergized new movies into Disneyland, it was a great way to show off their features to the public. I mean they're preaching to the choir to a big extent.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

I think that it would be okay if the Frog Princess found a home in New Orleans Square...the story, from what I've seen, takes place in New Orleans.

• Knight that says Nee!!

SO take your ball and go home I guess. As stated by many others the "changes" to NOS began way before Eisner or any others, WALT HIMSELF orchestrated some of those changes. You have idolized Walt as some sort of "Moses" figure who made certain commandments and then expected those directives to followed to the letter and to never change. There are numberless examples that WALT HIMSELF saw the park as a evolutionary creative process.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I agree that Critter Country is really Frontierland, Part II plus Pooh.

But it was Bear Country before I was born and when I was little, that's what I grew up with.

The "lands of the Rivers of America" are cohesively tied together by the river (am I quoting "Mystic River"???) that flows between them.

But I have always felt New Orleans Square was THE MOST distinctive of the 8 lands of Disneyland. It's always been my favorite area in the Rivers of America section of Disneyland.

Pragmatic, please step back from the ledge, we love you, man!
    When it was bear country and now critter country I kinda always concidered it the "toon version" of frontierland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's the cartoon frontierland area of New Orleans Square.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It's the cartoon frontierland area of New Orleans Square.
    Oh yeah? New Orleans Square doesn't even look like a Square to me. More like a Polygon.

Not to run the debate totally into the ground, but back in Post #100 I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    I'm pretty sure I have some stuff around the Opus Archives where Walt and some others refer to New Orleans Square as Disneyland's "newest Land."
    In the first of what I'm sure could be a series comes this from a Disneyland flyer dated August 1966. This of course would be 4 months before Walt died, and I'm pretty sure it was actually first written and being distributed sometime before that.

So clearly when New Orleans Square debuted and for some time later while Walt was still running the show...New Orleans Square was being referred to as Disneyland's newest "Land."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Not to run the debate totally into the ground, but back in Post #100 I wrote:

In the first of what I'm sure could be a series comes this from a Disneyland flyer dated August 1966. This of course would be 4 months before Walt died, and I'm pretty sure it was actually first written and being distributed sometime before that.

So clearly when New Orleans Square debuted and for some time later while Walt was still running the show...New Orleans Square was being referred to as Disneyland's newest "Land."

QFTW.

I think that ends that discussion.
    Anyways - any speculation on how they will make Madie part of the area?

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast