Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: The Frog Princess in New Orleans Square

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones View Post
    i've looked around a bit - does anyone know if this is based on a previous book? or is it an original Disney screenplay?
    From what I read, it is an original screenplay.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Isn't NOS supposed to be set in the hay-day of New Orleans, pre-war? That's when New Orleans was at it's grandest, with shipping booming and merchants setting up shops.

Although, I guess it has slipped into a more 1890's style over the years. And now it will be the 20's. Maybe by the time I'm old, it will be New Orleans of 1950.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    There's a fairy tale called "The Frog Princess" which is actually quite different from the Frog Prince. I'm not sure what it's all about, but I believe it actually doesn't have much to do with frogs at all.
    There sure is. It's a famous Russian fairy tale - "THE FROG PRINCESS" and it's performed in the United States on rare occasions (I saw it with live performers and a two piece band at the University of California Irvine two weeks ago or so).

The story involves a king with three sons, who he tells to go find brides - he gives them a special arrow, and tells them that if they build a bow, shoot the arrow, that a young girl will take the arrow out of whatever it hits, and bring it to them.

The first two sons of course hit a tree, and a barn, and find beautiful maidens to marry. The third son, goofing off with an old twig, shoots his arrow, and it weakly falls into a pond, where a frog spits it out at him. The king decrees that he must marry the frog.

Each night, he puts the frog to bed on the pillow next to him, and says goodnight.

Later on, the king decrees that each son must have their bride perform a task to see who is suitable to be the king and queen. The first task is the sewing of the finest shirt they can for the king. Each of the human brides stays up all night sewing, and the frog sneaks off at night, and asks the witches of the forest to bring her the finest embroidered silk shirt. She wins the competition hands down.

The next night the king announces that there will be a new competition - the baking of bread. After the prince falls asleep, the other sisters decide to watch her, and she fools them by mixing flour and water and throwing it into a hot oven. She then goes out to the swamp and brings back the most delicious sweet bread, while the other sisters present lumps of hard blackened dough.

Finally, frustrated, the king decides that they will have a dance contest - whoever performs the best ballroom dance, and interpretive dance, will become the new queen for the new king. Frustrated, the frog brings out all the stops - and leaves her frog skin and becomes a beautiful graceful lovely princess, and for her grand dance finale, doves fly out of her sleeves and into the room.

She wins, but more importantly, seeing this beauty, the prince throws her frog skin into the fire, burning it, and making it impossible for her to become a frog again.

She cries and explains that she only had one more year to go to work off the spell of an evil witch, and that now she can never be human again after midnight, and runs off into the forest. She tells him that he can only find her in the land of three times nine.

For years, the prince searches, but can never find this land, until one day, almost ten years later, following a tip, he finds the witch that cast the spell, and her sister... and then the story gets really interesting ...!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Hey! Haunted Mansion is a gen-u-ine New Orleans style Antebellum Mansion. Heck with those boring old ghosts! All that Walt stuff is yesterday's news anyway. We got a new movie to promote!

Say "Hello" to Matty's Mansion! It's a ride everyone will love...warts and all!

i just died a little on the inside...
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

See, the thing is, there is barely anything about this movie on even its IMDb page. It's fun to speculate, but maybe we should wait until the movie is out before deciding if there should even be a ride...?
    I mean, yeah they're gonna market the helloutufit in NOS, but....yeah. A bit soon to my tastes.
    dreams. come. true.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the prospect of the frog princess finding a home in the New Orleans Square area of Frontierland?
    Pragmire, are you still insisting on NOS being a part of Frontierland. It's been it's own land for 40 years buddy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Pragmire, are you still insisting on NOS being a part of Frontierland. It's been it's own land for 40 years buddy.
    THANK YOU.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    True...but the NOS station still does say Frontierland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah until the day they paint over it and add a trumpet playing alligator and a Frog Princess overlay. J/K.

• Knight that says Nee!!

This is why micechat is so fun for me. One simple post about a new character showing up in the park due to a movie and already we have posts almost protesting the changing of NOS, the building of a ride, and modifying the NOS theme to "fit" the jazz age. It cracks me up.

Jazz quartets and singers regularly perform at various NOS areas so I don't see how it wold have to be changed at all to "fit in" with the jazz era. I seriously doubt they will decide a ride needs to be made for this film. I also agree with the others...NOS's period and theme no longer have anything to do with Frontier Land and it's been that way for a very long time.

Who knows...maybe they will rename the Blue Bayou "The Lilly Pad" right? I think I will wait until the film is actually released before I start worrying about any "changes" in NOS theme coming due to it.

• okeydokey

That's my concern, as well. I don't like the idea of changing New Orleans Square in order to make it fit the Jazz Age.
    Hasn't New Orleans always been stuck in the jazz age. Since, it is the birthplace of American music? And New Orleans Square should reflect that?

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Isn't NOS supposed to be set in the hay-day of New Orleans, pre-war? That's when New Orleans was at it's grandest, with shipping booming and merchants setting up shops.

Although, I guess it has slipped into a more 1890's style over the years. And now it will be the 20's. Maybe by the time I'm old, it will be New Orleans of 1950.
    When Walt Disney dedicated the area in the 1960's, he said that it depicted the port city as she existed more than a century ago. So, that statement would place the setting of New Orleans Square sometime before or during the 1860's.

He further said that this period was the time at which New Orleans was "the gay Paris of the American frontier". This Spanish and French colony was culturally quite unique in the New World during the 1700's, and the city remained so after the purchase of Louisiana by the United States in 1803. She controlled the Mississippi River, so President Thomas Jefferson believed the best way to assure access to the vitally-important waterway was to acquire the entire territory from France.

When Paul Pressler entered the picture in the 1990's, he made New Orleans Square more contemporary by putting neon signs in some of the shops and by adding bands that would play "She's a Brickhouse" and similar songs. These decisions begged the question: Why would I go to an ersatz New Orleans when I could, instead, visit the real thing?

Even many of the cast costumes were changed to become more contemporary. I have no idea what the logic of Pressler's decision was, but he might have been trying to avoid any possibility of being politically incorrect.

Walt Disney's New Orleans Square, however, was a place from a bygone and important time in the city's storied history. And, his New Orleans Square was an expansion of the New Orleans section of Frontierland that had been in existence since 1955.

The Magic Kingdom is comprised of four realms that together have quintessence and that each have breadth. Frontierland is one of these. New Orleans Square, however, presents a setting with a more specific place and time that exists among the more general subject matter that the idea of the "frontier" encompasses.

While, again, I have no idea how "The Frog Princess" might or might not relate to all this, the prospect of the characters and the other fictions from the story taking residence in New Orleans Square is, at once, both intriguing and questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    There sure is. It's a famous Russian fairy tale - "THE FROG PRINCESS" and it's performed in the United States on rare occasions (I saw it with live performers and a two piece band at the University of California Irvine two weeks ago or so).

The story involves a king with three sons, who he tells to go find brides - he gives them a special arrow, and tells them that if they build a bow, shoot the arrow, that a young girl will take the arrow out of whatever it hits, and bring it to them.

The first two sons of course hit a tree, and a barn, and find beautiful maidens to marry. The third son, goofing off with an old twig, shoots his arrow, and it weakly falls into a pond, where a frog spits it out at him. The king decrees that he must marry the frog.

Each night, he puts the frog to bed on the pillow next to him, and says goodnight.

Later on, the king decrees that each son must have their bride perform a task to see who is suitable to be the king and queen. The first task is the sewing of the finest shirt they can for the king. Each of the human brides stays up all night sewing, and the frog sneaks off at night, and asks the witches of the forest to bring her the finest embroidered silk shirt. She wins the competition hands down.

The next night the king announces that there will be a new competition - the baking of bread. After the prince falls asleep, the other sisters decide to watch her, and she fools them by mixing flour and water and throwing it into a hot oven. She then goes out to the swamp and brings back the most delicious sweet bread, while the other sisters present lumps of hard blackened dough.

Finally, frustrated, the king decides that they will have a dance contest - whoever performs the best ballroom dance, and interpretive dance, will become the new queen for the new king. Frustrated, the frog brings out all the stops - and leaves her frog skin and becomes a beautiful graceful lovely princess, and for her grand dance finale, doves fly out of her sleeves and into the room.

She wins, but more importantly, seeing this beauty, the prince throws her frog skin into the fire, burning it, and making it impossible for her to become a frog again.

She cries and explains that she only had one more year to go to work off the spell of an evil witch, and that now she can never be human again after midnight, and runs off into the forest. She tells him that he can only find her in the land of three times nine.

For years, the prince searches, but can never find this land, until one day, almost ten years later, following a tip, he finds the witch that cast the spell, and her sister... and then the story gets really interesting ...!
    Very interesting...

I was completely unaware that such a fairy tale exists. I wonder if the Disney film is a retelling of this Russian fantasy.

• Former Epcot CM

Very interesting...

I was completely unaware that such a fairy tale exists. I wonder if the Disney film is a retelling of this Russian fantasy.
    It will be.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris