Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: The Frog Princess in New Orleans Square

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When Walt Disney dedicated the area in the 1960's, he said that it depicted the port city as she existed more than a century ago. So, that statement would place the setting of New Orleans Square sometime before or during the 1860's....

When Paul Pressler entered the picture in the 1990's, he made New Orleans Square more contemporary by putting neon signs in some of the shops and by adding bands that would play "She's a Brickhouse" and similar songs. These decisions begged the question: Why would I go to an ersatz New Orleans when I could, instead, visit the real thing?
    PragmaticHistorian: All of this is very interesting history, but ever since I can remember New Orleans Square has had jazz musicians who played live in the back alleys and at the stage at the French Market restaurant.

I honestly don't see any problem if they have bands of pirates playing on one side of NOS and the songs from Frog Princess coming from a jazz quartet on the other side of the land.

Why would they have created Bear Country if guests weren't leaving Frontierland while they were in NOS. It's because once they left Frontierland, they were in Frontierland again. To not be confusing, that area became Frontierland II. AKA Bear Country. AKA Critter Country.

If this were not the case, and NOS was firmly set in the 1800s, the whole area would be called Frontierland, with New Orleans, Critter and Thunder Mesa areas. But that's not how it's ever really been. The two extra lands over there evolved out of Frontierland, but if you think they are still part of Frontierland, you're thinking of Yesterland and not the Disneyland that's there now.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ That's how I kind of picture DCA's Paradise Lagoon. With Disneyland, Frontierland, NOS, and Critter Country all relate in some way around Rivers of America. DCA's Paradise Pier, Pacific Wharf, and San Fransico Bay could potentially all relate around the lagoon.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• some imagination huh?

[IMG]file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]The picture of Cinderella and her mice made me twitch... Gus and Jaq's are effing huge

"soulful singing alligator"
    This made me LOL.

• Everyone neat and pretty?

I was so excited to hear Disney is FINALLY adding a black princess to their royal court.
    I will never forget my niece's excitement at six years old at the thought of having a black "princess" to visit with when "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was released featuring Esmeralda. The way Esmeralda was drawn, as beautiful brown skinned "gypsy" with green eyes, my niece figured she would have a princess that she could more closely relate to. Her Mom and I felt the same way.
    Imagine our surprise when we saw her at DL and a non-black actress portrayed her. I was crestfallen as my niece whispered to me in a disappointed tone, "...she was black in the movie." Although kids get over these things quickly with a couple of hugs from the character, the event stuck with me.
    I feel that it is important for all children to have heroes that not only encourage strength, self-reliance and bravery but also be someone that they can personally relate to. This has been pretty much addressed by Disney in every ethnic group except with African-Americans. And since our family are huge fans of Disney, this matters to us.
    So cheer’s to Disney for finally allowing our beautiful African-American princess to have a character that not only displays strength, self-reliance and bravery but also happens to look like them too!
    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair!" ~ Nelson Muntz of The Simpsons when being teased for liking Snow White and being told that she was just an actress.

• Banned User

I just don't understand the whole princess angle. Why would there be a princess in new orleans. Im thrilled that there bringing back 2D animation, that its going to be a fairy tale, and that it has an african american girl for a lead but the fact that shes a Princess seems kinda forced. But ill wait for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsbeau View Post
    I was so excited to hear Disney is FINALLY adding a black princess to their royal court.
    I will never forget my niece's excitement at six years old at the thought of having a black "princess" to visit with when "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was released featuring Esmeralda. The way Esmeralda was drawn, as beautiful brown skinned "gypsy" with green eyes, my niece figured she would have a princess that she could more closely relate to. Her Mom and I felt the same way.
    Imagine our surprise when we saw her at DL and a non-black actress portrayed her. I was crestfallen as my niece whispered to me in a disappointed tone, "...she was black in the movie." Although kids get over these things quickly with a couple of hugs from the character, the event stuck with me.
    I feel that it is important for all children to have heroes that not only encourage strength, self-reliance and bravery but also be someone that they can personally relate to. This has been pretty much addressed by Disney in every ethnic group except with African-Americans. And since our family are huge fans of Disney, this matters to us.
    So cheer’s to Disney for finally allowing our beautiful African-American princess to have a character that not only displays strength, self-reliance and bravery but also happens to look like them too!
    Wasn't Esmerelda a gypsy and just tan? I don't believe she was ever meant to be black, more of a complection similiar to those of Middle Eastern descent, a brown tan.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote:
    "soulful singing alligator"
    This made me LOL.

/\
    Already, without seeing the animation.

I'm predicting a knock out hit.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snowsbeau View Post
    This has been pretty much addressed by Disney in every ethnic group except with African-Americans. And since our family are huge fans of Disney, this matters to us.
    Hey I'm white but I think it's about time, too!

I would have thought the first black Disney princess would be a princess in Africa, or Egypt or something, but this sounds like a cute story and will fit in nicely with NOS. Maybe give them the little park between French Market and Haunted Mansion to build a Meet and Greet Gazeebo.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I just don't understand the whole princess angle. Why would there be a princess in new orleans. Im thrilled that there bringing back 2D animation, that its going to be a fairy tale, and that it has an african american girl for a lead but the fact that shes a Princess seems kinda forced. But ill wait for more information.
    Maybe I'm crazy in even suggesting this but here goes. Maybe, just maybe, the movie will explain it? I know, silly me, to actually wait and watch a film before questioning how or why the characters have certain titles, but call me a rabble rouser.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Pragmire, are you still insisting on NOS being a part of Frontierland. It's been it's own land for 40 years buddy.
    hahaha! I have to agree!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Wasn't Esmerelda a gypsy and just tan? I don't believe she was ever meant to be black, more of a complection similiar to those of Middle Eastern descent, a brown tan.
    Yup.

Just because someone is "darker" in skin tone does not automatically designate them as "black". And Esmerelda was by no means African-American in looks or skin tone. I am sorry that this dissapointed you and your family snowsbeau, but that's like expecting Pocahontas to be played by an African-American female. They're different ethnicities.

But in any case, I am also happy that an African-American princess is finally being included (this coming from a caucasian female). It's really long-overdue...and CaliforniaAdventurer, I was totally thinking the same thing about Egypt etc. Still don't know why no film has been made about Hatshepsut...but I guess certain people wouldn't be able to handle the fact that a woman ruled over Egypt and wore a fake beard from time to time.

Adventureland....

Frontierland....

Fantasyland....

Tomorrowland....

New Orleans Land....

I don't think so.

New Orleans Square should most certainly not have parity with each of the Four Cardinal Realms of The Magic Kingdom.

The same people in the company who called New Orleans Square a "land" after Walt Disney's death also called Main Street, U.S.A. one. Interestingly, though, Mr. Disney described Disneyland as being comprised of only four realms. So, even Main Street, U.S.A. doesn't have parity.

Instead, Main Street, U.S.A. is rightfully Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A. because of the duality that Disneyland inheres.

People in the company were mistaken about Main Street, U.S.A. for forty years just as these same people were wrong about New Orleans Square.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    People in the company were mistaken about Main Street, U.S.A. for forty years just as these same people were wrong about New Orleans Square.
    Doesn't the company own the park? How can they be mistaken on a fact they themselves dictate. Was Prince mistaken about his name when he changed it those times? No, he merely changed the labeling of his property.

I'll give you that they were all one land at a time, that Frontierland is still seen on the NOS train station sign, and it would work better if they returned to be one land, but facts are facts and Disney says NOS is a land unto itself, the same with Critter Country. It's their ball so they can call the game whatever they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Doesn't the company own the park? How can they be mistaken on a fact they themselves dictate. Was Prince mistaken about his name when he changed it those times? No, he merely changed the labeling of his property.

I'll give you that they were all one land at a time, that Frontierland is still seen on the NOS train station sign, and it would work better if they returned to be one land, but facts are facts and Disney says NOS is a land unto itself, the same with Critter Country. It's their ball so they can call the game whatever they like.
    Is the practice in keeping with the intent of the founder and the original designers? They created New Orleans Square and Disneyland, so shouldn't they be able to define what actually constitutes a "land" or a "realm"?

I know that the Disney of today says that Disneyland has eight "lands". But, these people are not very bright or creative, and they certainly are not paying attention to what Walt Disney, himself, said.

Moreover, by persisting in this mindlessness, opportunities open for Winnie the Pooh to find himself in Frontierland because he is ostensibly a "critter" and for "She's a Brickhouse" to be played in Frontierland because New Orleans Square seemingly has nothing to do with the American frontier.

Now, we potentially have Maddy inserting herself in this milieu because Paul Pressler liked the Jazz Age of the 1920's more than Walt Disney's New Orleans Square of the 1860's.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Prag can argue 'til blue in the face and this changes nothing (why am I reminded of the now-infamous Donald Duck Birthday Thread?). The facts of the matter are not dependant upon how well they conform to one's personal philosophies or delicate sensibilities.
    NOS has sovereignty whether or not you approve of it, or recognize that sovereignty. And it also still has sovereignty whether or not you think Walt would approve of it.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast