Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: For the last time, I don't want to take the 5!

During the peak exit time it flushes the traffic out faster if they force everyone from the M&F Structure to go over the bridge and onto the I-5. Or to continue on up Manchester Ave.

Trust me, I flushed out the Devonshire Downs parking lots every July 4th for 20 years, and we had it down to a science. Pick one direction for the cars from each exit gate to take, get the exiting traffic their own lane or override the signals so they don't stop flowing out the lot.

Keep Them Moving, even if they aren't initially going the direction they want. If you can get people to keep moving out past the 'gridlock zone' they can make a circle-the-block U-turn and head for home without locking up everyone behind them.

We emptied out an entire college football stadium (with people seated in the stands and out on the field) that all want to leave at once in under an hour, the same kind of crowd DL deals with on a normal day.

If Disney offers a choice there, you always get the one person sitting there stopped right at the split point going "Which way do I go, George? Which way do I go?" which quickly locks up the whole exit driveway behind them. Ten seconds later the horns start honking, and another thirty seconds and people start jockeying to go around and find another exit, and you've lost the nice orderly exit plan. Anarchy and "To heck with everyone else, I've Got to Get Out First!" mentality sets in, and the guys with the Macho 4X4 will flatten the fence to make their own exit lane.

That leaves the Ball Road & Disneyland Drive intersection and signal free to handle the Downtown Disney and Hotel traffic, which it can do without backing up hopelessly. And if it does back up, they can always station an Anaheim PD Officer there to override the signal for a half-hour and flush them out.

Experiment626: Now that you know this will be SOP for a while, plan a route for it. Go north on Manchester, take the first left you can at either South St. or Santa Ana St., go east one block to Walnut St., and take Walnut south back to Ball Road.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• in technicolor!

I hate when they make me do this. Really. The first time I ever drove the freeway I drove to Disneyland because I knew the route. Then, as we are leaving they make me get on the 5 and I freaked out. I actually almost got in an accident because some guy tried to cut me off. Oh, it was the most traumatizing thing.

Now, I just get on the 5, take the Harbor exit, turn left there and then right onto Ball. Is that what I do? Gah, all I know is freeway, first exit, left then right. Hahaha.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I bring up my paint-tastic drawings from a few months ago:

Exiting the Structure During Peak Hours - 2001 to 2005

Exiting the Structure During Peak Hours - 2005 to Summer 2006

Exiting the Structure During Peak Hours - Summber 2006 to Current

Even adding the cones at the exit of the lower levels didn't help. So, now there's little merging, and while it's a hassle for the Right Turning Ball Rd. traffic, it's much safer, AND avoids blocking up the traffic light. That's the most important reason WHY they did this. Once drivers see a huge line, they attempted to avoid it, and got into trouble.

My blue-sky solution? Have two lanes from each level, one that goes to Ball Rd, and one to the I5, or, have all lanes go to the I5, with an exit for Ball Rd.
    -Monorail Man

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    (Big snip of drawings)

Even adding the cones at the exit of the lower levels didn't help. So, now there's little merging, and while it's a hassle for the Right Turning Ball Rd. traffic, it's much safer, AND avoids blocking up the traffic light. That's the most important reason WHY they did this. Once drivers see a huge line, they attempted to avoid it, and got into trouble.

My blue-sky solution? Have two lanes from each level, one that goes to Ball Rd, and one to the I5, or, have all lanes go to the I5, with an exit for Ball Rd.
    You picked up on parts of it - Don't Offer Choices, because everyone gets there and then has to choose - some people choose faster than others.

And Merging slows down traffic and causes a lot of accidents, especially when you have cars merging in both directions depending on where they came from and where they are going.

The majority of the people leaving take the freeway home, and it can absorb a constant stream of traffic with no problems at that hour.

It could work as originally constructed if you told people about the merge well inside the structure, and signed the lanes well ahead so they could think about it. Two problems - Some people don't believe in reading signs and planning ahead.

And some A es... Umm, "less savory creatures" out there deliberately take the fastest moving lane and then barge across the gore point at the last possible second. (Cue the sound of crunching metal...)

They could probably figure out a way to offer a seperate exit to Ball Road, but most of them I can think of would involve flyover bridges. (And a few Million bucks.)

The cheap and easy solution would be to improve the signage on Manchester for people to get back to familiar territory. "Back to Ball Road" (Left on South, left on Walnut) "To Euclid St." (left on Broadway) "To Harbor Bl." (Right on Santa Ana or Broadway)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I cheat: I don't drive and I have whoever is picking me up do so at the DD lot. The we take Harbor back up to Brea, then back onto the 57 as we pick our way back to our suburban LA county home.
    dreams. come. true.

• Dumptruck of Information

Also, one can stay on the flyover road (Manchester) taking it north until Lincoln Ave (3 lights after the 5 Freeway on/off ramp). Just make a right onto Lincoln (heading East) and after 3 miles or so, you'll be able to reach the 57 freeway (on ramps are on the right hand side). Lincoln is just 1 exit north of Ball Rd. on the 57.

• Banned User

I take the 15, to the 91, then to the 57, and exit off Katella exit where your right in front of the Hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I take the 15, to the 91, then to the 57, and exit off Katella exit where your right in front of the Hooters.
    Y...yes... but that's not the issue here. (also, you're better off exiting Ball)

I too am frustrated with the cone truck of doom. Some levels of the structure offer easy access to Ball Road, and they should have it. Maybe make that merge point somewhere else. Either way, it's not ideal, especially since there's little room to do U-turns after the flyover.

• Basking in birthday love

I guess I don't exit at peak periods, because I've only been forced onto Manchester once or twice; otherwise I can merge all the way over to get onto Ball.

Of course, I park in M&F so very rarely these days, so I'm not really all that qualified to talk, I guess.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Y...yes... but that's not the issue here. (also, you're better off exiting Ball)

I too am frustrated with the cone truck of doom. Some levels of the structure offer easy access to Ball Road, and they should have it. Maybe make that merge point somewhere else. Either way, it's not ideal, especially since there's little room to do U-turns after the flyover.
    Why is Ball better. I've been a few times. Is the consturction on Katella still going on?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post

Now, I just get on the 5, take the Harbor exit, turn left there and then right onto Ball. Is that what I do? Gah, all I know is freeway, first exit, left then right. Hahaha.
    That is what I do when I have to take the 57 after DL.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I take the 57 freeway and go down Ball Rd. to get to the Disneyland Resort. I do not take the 5.

So as one exits the M&F parking structure, a sign says "Ball Road Merge Right." So I do. But then there are lines of cones and those big signs with arrows blocking the way and they force me to go down a 2-lane overpass that feeds the 5. From there, I have to take a street over the 5, down this weird dark residential street with stop signs and a railroad track down the middle (?), reach Harbor, and then finally turn back onto Ball.

I'd like to know why this is done because it really ticks me off. I know Disney loves the 5 but it doesn't really take me the direction I need to go. Yes I'm aware that I can take the 91 from the 5 and connect back to the 57, but what if I don't want to do that? Call me stubborn, but it just doesn't seem like a fitting way to conclude an otherwise perfectly magical experience when I'm dumped somewhere that requires me to go the long way around, when it could have been so much more direct.

Folks who park in DTD parking do not have this problem, to my knowledge...

I'm so with you on this one! I had to do this the past THREE times!

Here's what I do:

Keep going straight. Do NOT get onto either 5 north or 5 south.

You will hit a a red light at BROADWAY (should be the second red light after the freeways). Take a right onto Broadway.

Take a left ONTO HARBOR going north.

Take a right onto the 91 East Bound and merge onto the 57 north.

I know it's admitting defeat but it's the most direct route I could think of when they forced me to go that direction.

Plus... I wasn't on surface streets as long as I usually do going down Ball Road until the 57. So it was actually a pretty good alternate and Now I know of another way to go to the park if the 57 south is ever jammed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is the easiest way I know how to get to Ball if they are not allowing people accessing the structure to go onto Disneyland Drive.

Stay in the right lane and take 5 south, but stay in the far right lane and take the next exit (Harbor Blvd.), at the end of the offramp, make a left at the light onto Harbor going Northbound. The second light will be Ball, make the left or right (whichever you need). Quick and easy, and not much of a detour.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I agree with Darkbeer. If you take Harbor North to the 91, you actually drift West a little before you hit the 91. That and there's a bazillion lights before you get to the freeway. The shortest mileage back to the 57 would be heading south on 5 but exiting immediately on Harbor, then crossing back to Ball. I did this last time and it probably added about a minute to my commute once you factor in the 2-3 lights before you get to the Ball/Harbor intersection had you not been diverted.

I guess plowing through the cones is out then?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Those cones don't do much - they STILL confuse people and people STILL get over as fast as they can. Also, the signage is confusing - it says both lanes go to 5 North, and they DO - except on one you have to go all the way around Manchester I guess? The first time that happened I FREAKED OUT (they need some lights over there, at least) and since then, I try to merge over... but it can be difficult. The entire exiting strategy SUCKS and makes me really anxious... not how I want to end my stay (esp. with miles and miles of the 5 looming!!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast