Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: For the last time, I don't want to take the 5!

double post
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-10-2007 at 07:47 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

triple post, stupid computer!
    sorry!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Here is the easiest way I know how to get to Ball if they are not allowing people accessing the structure to go onto Disneyland Drive.

Stay in the right lane and take 5 south, but stay in the far right lane and take the next exit (Harbor Blvd.), at the end of the offramp, make a left at the light onto Harbor going Northbound. The second light will be Ball, make the left or right (whichever you need). Quick and easy, and not much of a detour.
    Thank you so much, I will do this next time this scenario plays out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    During the peak exit time it flushes the traffic out faster if they force everyone from the M&F Structure to go over the bridge and onto the I-5. Or to continue on up Manchester Ave.
    Bruce is 1000% right on this. The decisions about how traffic exits out of the structure were not made to piss people off. They were made to KEEP TRAFFIC MOVING.

Compare your exit out of the DL structure to your exit out of the typical parking lot of a sporting event, county fair, concert, etc., etc. Isn't that exit a living hell? And why is that? Because there typically is no dedicated, non-stop escape route from the parking lot back onto the freeway.

While the exit out of the M&F structure is not perfect, I'd much rather have that than being stuck in traffic trying to get out of Disneyland.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    While the exit out of the M&F structure is not perfect, I'd much rather have that than being stuck in traffic trying to get out of Disneyland.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Some of us here started participating in the aptly named "West Street Brakelight Parade" when we were but wee tots, complete with the electrosynthemagnetic sound of a car horn chorale. Then we grew up and got to drive through it ourselves. Often in a stick-shift car, which makes traffic jams a real joy as your left leg threatens to fall off from overwork.

Thus started the tradition of spotting a few friends from alt.disney.disneyland and/or Rod's Piano, and hanging out yakking in the parking lot for an hour (or two) until the traffic cleared. And a DLR Security Officer would drive by a few times to make sure we were all right...

"Yes, both cars started okay, I drove over here to wait out the Third Parade of the evening."

The Disneyland Parking Lot had two three-lane exits onto West Street (complete with the DO NOT BACK UP spikes) and were a mess every night from the very beginnings of Disneyland till they broke ground on DCA. You had to make a turn at a signal controlled intersection to get out onto West from the exit gates, and West St. was only two lanes in either direction. And then there were more signals to get through to get to the freeway.

If you tried going South and circling around on Katella to the 5 there was no left arrow and the timing was 'side street priority' with a short cycle for West, so you would wait through multiple signal cycles getting through.

You could take a left out the center gates (roughly where the Paradise Pier Hotel is), make a right on Katella, a right onto Euclid, and head north back to the freeway that way - usually the fastest.

And you only got assistance from Anaheim PD overriding the signals and directing traffic toward the freeway on the very busiest nights - and they'd only do it for a half hour or so right after fireworks and closing... If the traffic hadn't cleared yet, West St. slammed right back up.

Compared to that never-ending disaster, the exiting arrangements we have now are Nirvana.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Compared to that never-ending disaster, the exiting arrangements we have now are Nirvana.
    Bruce, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had totally forgotten about the mess exiting out of the original DL parking lot onto West Street. Yes, it is night and day compared to what it was before.

For the youngsters out there who were never behind the wheel driving out of the original DL Parking Lot, take it from us. Life is too short to be upset about this forced exit from M&F onto the 5. The situation could be FAR WORSE than what it is today.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Here is the easiest way I know how to get to Ball if they are not allowing people accessing the structure to go onto Disneyland Drive.

Stay in the right lane and take 5 south, but stay in the far right lane and take the next exit (Harbor Blvd.), at the end of the offramp, make a left at the light onto Harbor going Northbound. The second light will be Ball, make the left or right (whichever you need). Quick and easy, and not much of a detour.
    I'm with Darkbeer on this! After the first time that I freaked out when they forced me onto the 5, I quickly figured out that if you go on the 5 south the first exit is Harbor. I exit, make a left, and then voila! There is Ball. It's really not so bad if you know that but I swear the first time that it happened I was pissed!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123