Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Roar!

Re: DL Human Resource Spys Posting at MiceChat?

i say keep bringing in the new people. i get paid more for training new hires
    Last edited by matterhornmaniac; 03-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.

• Fastest Man Alive

Good lord, there are so many 'pay the CMs' more threads past and present, they are all starting to blur. It's become as popular a topic as fixing Tomorrowland/DCA and love/hating strollers.
    But yet, there still is a twofold question here.
    1. Is the pay at Disneyland insufficient to retain qualified cast members?
    2. If the pay at Disneyland insufficient to entice qualified applicants to apply?
    The 1st question can be answered by CMs who have quit, of which there are a few on this board. We've heard people state 'CMs quit due to pay' and 'no they don't, it's other stuff.' Well how about straight from the horses mouths. Please, former CMs, you don't have to explain why you quit, just whether pay was the primary factor.
    The 2nd factor can also be easily answered. How many MCers, of whom are almost all devoted Disney fans, unwilling to apply to work at Disneyland primarily due to the amount of pay offered to CMs?

With the answers to those questions, that should paint a better picture on whether the pay is that critical an issue or whether other reasons are primary (scheduling, availability, benefits, points, blah blah blah) just curious myself.

• Lost in Wonderland

What if a lot of us who feel that there should be a pay increase write comment cards about that at Disneyland? A lot of comment cards might help, but even with higher pay, the CM morale is still low...

• I have returned !!

The 2nd factor can also be easily answered. How many MCers, of whom are almost all devoted Disney fans, unwilling to apply to work at Disneyland primarily due to the amount of pay offered to CMs?
    well I am currently seeking work.. but wont drive 8 hours to get to work BUT...
    I would want to be a CM if i lived close enough and yes the money would steer me away. I wouldnt even want to apply there due to the crap pay. Not when I still have to buy my lunch.
    (DLParks needs to model things like a software company and have a paid for "campus". Happy, paid, fed and insured employees are the best ones to have working for you)

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• insufferable know-it-all

In answer to the question posed in the OP, I think that some people are reacting to the fact that Disney is very resistant to the idea of paying a livable wage, and is trying to come up with other methods of improving cast retention, with an eye to the best interests of the business. It's sorta like doing armchair imagineering and including merchandise opportunities in your designs - you're not pushing people to buy merchandise, you're just thinking about things from Disney's point of view and trying to come up with solutions that seem to make sense from a business standpoint.

But aside from all that... come on Disney, pay as much as In-N-Out for crying out loud!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by idzy View Post
    well I am currently seeking work.. but wont drive 8 hours to get to work BUT...
    I would want to be a CM if i lived close enough and yes the money would steer me away. I wouldnt even want to apply there due to the crap pay. Not when I still have to buy my lunch.
    (DLParks needs to model things like a software company and have a paid for "campus". Happy, paid, fed and insured employees are the best ones to have working for you)
    Okay, there is 1 fan unwilling to work as a CM due to poor pay. Hopefully if there are enough responses a picture may become clear. It could be something that HR and Casting at Disneyland could use.
    Though on MiceChat I'm sure alot of posters also can't work at Disneyland because they are too young, or simply live too far away.

I once worked for the mouse, quit when I could no longer afford to work there, worked there again one summer when I was back in school, and applied, interviewed, and was offered a job there one more time after quitting another job, however, at the same time was offered a job that paid 150% of what Disney was offering per hour, would guarantee full-time work (whereas Disney wanted full availability but was only offering CT positions which don't guarantee any hour), and had benefits.

Now, granted, at this point in my career I'm quite honestly overqualified to work anywhere on the front lines, I know this, but before I graduated, I still had to leave due to low pay.

Even love of the job (my history of returning bears out I do love it) is not enough when you have to put food in your stomach, a roof over your head, and a car on the road. Especially not with what gas costs today.

Speaking of which, when CMs can no longer afford to live near the park, they have to consider living in far-flung areas like the 909. But, gas prices being what they are, it's still too expensive to work for the mouse.

I remember at one of my (non-Disney) jobs in the last few years, I was just barely scraping by at $10/hr 40 hrs/week with sharing a 1-br apartment with another person and no car payment. So it seems to me that for an entry-level job that requires a higher level of service than, say, your local Del Taco, $10/hr is the least Disney should consider paying.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Fastest Man Alive

^ And there is 1 exCM who's primary reason for quitting was low pay.

Pay is coming up 100% of the time at the moment. I'm willing allow this so far is an extremely small sampling group, but hopefully there will be more replies.

According to a site I just found, in 1955 Federal Minimum wage was $0.75/hr, and in '56 it was raised to $1.00.

Can someone find what Disney paid back then? I'd be interested to see if, percentage wise, they came as close to minimum as they do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    ^ And there is 1 exCM who's primary reason for quitting was low pay.
    Twice.

Actually, I take that back, technically the second time was unwillingness to work with my schedule. Once upon a time, like before the hiring crisis, CT's could take a season off (not summer of course, but like Christmas or Spring Break) if things like school, etc. didn't leave room for working. I had commitments that began the day after Christmas one year, which I could not back out of, and despite my willingness to work right up to and INCLUDING Christmas Day, they said that they needed workers too badly to work around that, so I had to quit. I even said to the guy, "Let me get this straight, you need people SO badly that even though I'm willing to work on Christmas day, you can't work with me and I have to quit?" Nice going, guys.

Once again, I remind everyone that, according to The New York Times, Disneyland was paying starting wages of $7-10 per hour in Attractions, Foods, and Custodial 23 years ago!

Can you give us a link? I'm willing to believe it was higher than $1/hr, but I find those numbers a little hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Can you give us a link? I'm willing to believe it was higher than $1/hr, but I find those numbers a little hard to believe.
    I think you may have misread my sentence.

The $7-10 figure refers to 1984, not 1955-56. So, 23 years ago, Disneyland was paying its cast and crew roughly the same or even less than the same amount the company pays today.

I'm trying to find the article that I cited in the other threads, and I think the following is it. It does require a payment of $4.95, however. (So, I suppose if you are a Disneyland cast member, you'll have to work about 45 minutes to read it.)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...D%2fDisneyland
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 03-12-2007 at 01:42 AM.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The $7-10 figure refers to 1984, not 1955-56. So, 23 years ago, Disneyland was paying its cast and crew roughly the same or even less than the same amount the company pays today.
    Those were not the starting wages back then. You had to be there quite a while to reach those numbers.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I wanted to be born again, but my mother refused!

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Twice.

Actually, I take that back, technically the second time was unwillingness to work with my schedule.
    Scheduling fun is another huge reason leading to the loss of CMs, and the unwillingness of applicants to work under such restrictive scheduling constraints. However, the big thing here is about pay, and whether it is a big of deal as everyone says it is. The way I see I see it now:

1 potential CM nixed due to pay, and 1 potential CM nixed for scheduling reasons.
    With my small sampling size, it is now 50% of the time someone doesn't work for Disney is because of low pay.

And so far until others respond 100% of the time CMs leave due to low pay.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast