Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: DL Human Resource Spys Posting at MiceChat?

We'll keep the salary at Issue #1 on this thread. That gets and
    keeps top notch cast members, and their experience is something
    that is WAY under-rated at DL. There are other issues that can
    certainly be placed on "reasons for not working/quitting at DL", but
    salary is Reason #1 on this thread.

With so many different issues with working at DL the Best and Loudest
    way that DL HR and management can say they REALLY are Concerned,
    and that they are listened AND taking action IS by Increasing the
    Cast Members Salaries, and Salary brackets. Nothing Else is sufficient,
    Until HR increases salaries to a respectable level, for the sake of guests
    and Cast Members alike.

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah, in short, they wouldn't leave if they couldn't match or beat their pay on the outside. It's the principle of "golden handcuffs".

How much does Disney spend on hiring, training, and processing paperwork for each new hire? If that translated into $1/hr increase, how many hours would a CM have to work before they cost more than their replacement?

And that's not taking into account the improvements in quality of service from more experienced CMs, or the fact that lower turnover means they can take only the top "x" percentage of applicants instead of the larger "x+y" percentage, meaning that over time, the average quality of CMs will rise, resulting in fewer complaints, happier guests, and therefore, higher sales as guests stay longer, eat more, and buy more souvenirs to remember their great day.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Helmsdad

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Just noticed 2 different topics here at MiceChat,
    that would seem very insulting to me, if I were a
    cast member.
    At first, the topics appear to be friendly like:
    "Cast Member Appreciation" and "Ways to Improve Cast Member Moral"
    But looking closer at these threads and you see comments like:

"I have never been a Cast Member but from what I understand
    they get paid, it is obvious they DO NOT do it for the money."
    Hi Aladdin, I kind of feel like the need to clear the record on my post. I was the one who posted the Cast Member Appreciation idea. The reason I suggested that CM's do not do it for the money is because of all the posts I've read concerning how underpaid they are. I have been visiting Disneyland since 1962. I have never worked there in any capacity. I have thought about it because I considered how incredibly fun it would be. Of course now (thanks to this board) I know otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Good lord, there are so many 'pay the CMs' more threads past and present, they are all starting to blur.
    I had no idea what a can of worms I (kind of) opened and I must plea complete and total ignorance to the sensitivity of the subject.

I HONESTLY wanted to do something to show my support and HONOR CM's. It is beyond me how (twice) I have been misunderstood for having a sincere heartfelt attempt to just say "thanks" to the many CM's who have made me and my famly's experience magical at Disneyland.

Companies are what? People. That's all they are. It's the people who make it what it is. I have NO IDEA how much CM's get paid. If ANYONE is working a full time job for less that $18.00 - $22.00 per hour they are being taken advantage of - in my humble opinion. If that has been what the American worker has been reduced to then ...where do we turn? Who do we look to? When companies can find people who will work for $2.00 per hour - that's what we Americans will eventually be forced to compete with. All I can say is you people (us) better get involved in Government and start voting or if you think minimum wage is bad then you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I don't know how anyone can survive on less that $20.00 per hour. Someone mentioned the "golden hadcuff" theory. Is that true? Is that what the American worker (or DL worker) has been reduced to? I TRULY believe Walt Disney himself would be APPALLED.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    experience is something
    that is WAY under-rated at DL... Increasing the
    Cast Members Salaries, and Salary brackets. Nothing Else is sufficient,
    Until HR increases salaries to a respectable level, for the sake of guests
    and Cast Members alike.
    I agree whole heartedly. We (my family) frequent the park sometimes just to see CM's like Jim and Laura. They are two of the most amazing entertainers we've seen anywhere. They were both in Minnie's Christmas Party years ago. They were doing the Animazement show in front of the Animazement building last time I saw them. What ever happened to Animazement by the way? It was like the last REALLY good show kind of. What do they get paid? Does anyone know? Are they in a Union?

Walt took ideas from a guy sweeping the floor one time (from what I hear). I think he would be shocked by the way they are treated now.

In finishing up, I didn't know what I could do to appreciate CM's. Try and look at it from my point of view. I am a fan. I have been a fan since 1962! I can't get them more money, so what can I do? I just did the only thing I thought I could at the time and SHOW APPRECIATION, and I learned MUCH. I learned that EVERY visit to DL I WILL leave comments at City Hall for certain CM's.

NOTE: If you have Facial Hair you WILL NOT get a good comment from me, sorry but I'm old, and old school. P L E A S E don't take offense, it's just me, I (like Walt) like the clean cut look - I don't care what nationality you are (or what gender) - I just don't like to see it at Disneyland. Gender not with standing.

If I was Disneyland HR I would fire myself. I think that's the only solution. Get rid of the Pressler managers/HR whatever they are people. They gotta go. I am hopeful that the new guys (Iger and company) will get all CM's more money -- THAT IS WHAT IT IS GOING TO TAKE. We all know what it takes to get quality and KEEP quality. It's no big secret.

I abandoned my annual passport a couple of years ago. I mean the park just went to like -- I don't know-- Knotts or something. With the Nemo ride coming (the subs were my favorite since they opened, (first visit 1962)), I may give them another chance, we'll see. I don't want to see trash on the ground from the day before though, I HATE that. Especially if I can't reach it to throw it away myself.

I hope this helps to clear things up a little. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Did I just say that?

The starting wage for custodial in 1984 was not $7-10, it was $3.35. I had to take a 30 cent pay cut from my $3.65 Jack-In-The-Box job to work for the mouse.

Around the early 90's, the company started cutting back on benefits and other CM perks, and pretty much showed that they were not interested in retaining long-term CMs.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    If ANYONE is working a full time job for less that $18.00 - $22.00 per hour they are being taken advantage of - in my humble opinion.
    Do you honestly think someone who does an unskilled, uneducated, no thought process job deserves $20/hour at any company?

NOTE: If you have Facial Hair you WILL NOT get a good comment from me, sorry but I'm old, and old school.
    Actually, that's not old school. Old school is how it is now. They went back to it. You would be more like "neo-school".

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I love to give home-made gifts. Which of my children do you want?

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Eflime View Post
    The starting wage for custodial in 1984 was not $7-10, it was $3.35. I had to take a 30 cent pay cut from my $3.65 Jack-In-The-Box job to work for the mouse.

Around the early 90's, the company started cutting back on benefits and other CM perks, and pretty much showed that they were not interested in retaining long-term CMs.
    Early 90's? Wow. That is really so significant in so many
    ways. About the same time Wells passed away, and Eisner
    assumed his "position" as dictator of Disney. that the same
    time so many of the bad decisions got their start.

• Merry 2014!

Until a more humanitarian CEO comes along and puts a management system into place that treats CM's,as well as all other employees, as they would want to be treated, pay (and other issues) will stay the same.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Namaste and Good Luck

1. Is the pay at Disneyland insufficient to retain qualified cast members?
    2. If the pay at Disneyland insufficient to entice qualified applicants to apply?
    I'm a former CM (See Signature). The pay while I was there was good enough for me to live on because I still lived at home and I had minimal bills. BUT I was under the previous contract. We had yearly raises and (I think) 11 paid holidays (Time and a half). Under the current contract they are making 7.83 (In stores, attractions, and another dept I can't remember) and they will never get a raise. They also only have 3 paid holidays. So this IS insufficient if they wish to attract and retain qualified CM's. It's the out-of-touch $management$ and the invisible unions. Questions? Just ask...I love answering questions!
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin View Post
    I'm a former CM (See Signature). The pay while I was there was good enough for me to live on because I still lived at home and I had minimal bills. BUT I was under the previous contract. We had yearly raises and (I think) 11 paid holidays (Time and a half). Under the current contract they are making 7.83 (In stores, attractions, and another dept I can't remember) and they will never get a raise. They also only have 3 paid holidays. So this IS insufficient if they wish to attract and retain qualified CM's. It's the out-of-touch $management$ and the invisible unions. Questions? Just ask...I love answering questions!
    Close. Under the Master Services Contract; stores, attractions, and custodial all start at $8.20 an hour and get yearly raises until they max out at $10.00 at their 5th year. They get 5 paid holidays, and after their 3rd year have access to the 10 paid holidays that CMs grandfathered under the old contract have access to. I won't argue whether this is sufficient or not. However, for purposes of my informal questionaire, Rebel Justin, when you quit, was the primary reason pay? Yes, or no. There are a plethora of other reasons that people quit companies or don't apply, but this thread is only interested in the pay aspect.

• Banned User

I'd like to make more than I do, $10 would be reasonable considering living costs and gas.

• Party Button!

Frankly. I'm not in the need of money, so I just stay because I truly like being a CM. All injuries on attractions--which are frequent for me, apparently--and scary guest interactions aside, I love it there. Even with the $8.20 an hour and no vacation time under the new contract.

However, like everyone else says, $10 would be what would work to live on.
    "I call Voyager! That's my sub. Voyager. MINE-SIES!"

"Have you noticed that during the holidays, Tomorrowland is the only land with no decorations? So, apparently, according to Disneyland, there is no Christmas in the future."

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    If ANYONE is working a full time job for less that $18.00 - $22.00 per hour they are being taken advantage of - in my humble opinion.
    Umm... I have a college degree, and I've never been offered a job that paid more than $15/hr. That's why I went into real estate instead. But the numbers you're talking about aren't realistic for recent college grads, let alone anyone who hasn't finished school and is working in a labor position.

Your $18/hr is somewhere over $36,000/yr. Sorry, but unskilled, undegreed workers do not come close to that. Skilled and experienced, yes, but not starting pay for an unskilled job.

But let's not let that take away from the fact that Disney's pay is subpar. They're not even competitive with In-n-Out, let alone equivalent. I mean, they're just not even in the same range. And In-n-Out does provide its low-end workers a chance to move up within the company (an agent at my company is a former In-n-Out manager who made darn good money, and yes, he started on the front lines). I don't think the modern-day CM actually believes they will get past the glass ceiling between manager and CM at Disney.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Fastest Man Alive

Agreed. It would be nice if everyone working a full-time job made $18-20, but for unskilled labor, that is far higher than the market would allow. As Morigoon pointed out, alot of skilled full-time laborer don't make that money. I feel those kids working the Jungle Cruise and Churro carts are getting ripped off, but I don't think they need to be paid like they had college degrees either.

• Helmsdad

I feel those kids working the Jungle Cruise and Churro carts are getting ripped off, but I don't think they need to be paid like they had college degrees either.
    I don't think $18.00 per hour is a "college degree" rate. That should be STARTING rate. The companies are Raking it in. C'mon how much do they charge me for a bottle of WATER?!

Maybe I'm out of touch with what folks have been programmed to accept. After all, I am older. I remember the days when my father worked at a skilled labor type job and after adjusting for current market values (ie: real estate, gas, food, clothing etc.) He brought home 22,000 a year in 1969. We paid 18,000 for a 2 story house that same year.

I remember my mom complaining when gas went over $0.32 per gallon! She would have to put $2.00 in the tank instead of her regular $1.00.

I do not have a job anymore. I basically do what I want. I WILL provide services for what I do, but not for under $22.00 per 15 minutes (after a suitable deposit). That's what I charge and I have 2 clients on hold right now because I'm not sure I want to take their work.

I DO NOT have a typical COLLEGE EDUCATION. No degree. These days a bachelor's amounts to what a High School Diploma was 20 years ago anyway. It's almost no use. I'm not saying to not get it - that's the only way. I help kids to get their bachelor's equivilent at 14-16 years old or younger (depending on the child). First people have to be de-programmed, that's what we do, (swim upstream) -- it is so simple it's almost, (I was going to write funny but it's NOT funny at all). You have to forget everything you've ever learned and start from scratch with a blank board. If you can get the first part - the second part is much easier. The first part is the trick. It is easier the YOUNGER you start - but it is NEVER too late to start.

Why do you think the American children are getting CREAMED by the Koreans, Japenese and almost EVERY other developed country in standard education? You CAN program yourself to make more - even at Disneyland. There is ALWAYS a way but the path is almost ALWAYS different.

I love Disneyland, and I truly thank all you CM's. I hope you get more for yourselves, you deserve it.

Did I just say that?

'Aladdin' - It was done systematically by creating different tiers, depending on years of service. So, when it was time to vote for the contract one tier might benefit and the others get nothing or worse, have benefits reduced.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast