Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Re: DL Human Resource Spys Posting at MiceChat?

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Once upon a time the concept of a living wage was not alien in the US. As we slowly turn into a 3rd world country we are becoming comfortable with the idea that articulate, reliable and hard working people can be paid less than a living wage.
    I'm sorry, but...what?

• I have returned !!

Quote Originally Posted by SixWoofy
    I don't think $18.00 per hour is a "college degree" rate. That should be STARTING rate. The companies are Raking it in. C'mon how much do they charge me for a bottle of WATER?!

This is my point exactly bottled water? is WAY over priced.... it is one thing for a small mom and pop to have difficulty paying employee rates over 8.50 hrly.....but House of Mouse can surely kick down at least 10.00 at a faster rate than they are doing. I have a college degree and I know they would start me at some scary rate of pay. How can they justify paying the employees crap and still expect a smile from them? i know partially cause people will always want to be a CM there... but as a PG i would like to know the nice, wonderful employees at the park i always encounter are at least getting their money when they are working for it and getting it NOW not 5 years from now. I think after a year or so you have proved your loyalty.

As for the CEO job? I am currently seeking work.. anyone know how i can get that job? Maybe Ol Idzy can fix the pay scale?? lol i would implement that all senior professionals have to at least work three days a year as a CM. That ought to fix it.
    Last edited by idzy; 03-13-2007 at 07:41 AM. Reason: cause i never make sense the first time round...

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Umm... I have a college degree, and I've never been offered a job that paid more than $15/hr. That's why I went into real estate instead. But the numbers you're talking about aren't realistic for recent college grads, let alone anyone who hasn't finished school and is working in a labor position.
    Ouch.. I got paid $10/hr as an INTERN.. then $15/hr within 6months.. and then was offered a job for about $48k/yr. This was while in college.

.. but that's why I studied engineering and not a business/arts focus

But I agree.. $20/hr is high for a 'entry point'. Most jobs (even full time office jobs) are still sub 40k/yr easy depending on where you are.

As for sixwoofys' comments.. you can always work for yourself.. but with the pros come the cons as well. Many 'grass is greener's downplay the cons. Things like affordable insurance.. 401k contributions.. paid vacation.. etc etc.

• Hooterville, USA

The trashman in my neighborhood (Anaheim) makes over $20 an hour and can't speak a word of english.

I would think that his job would be an unskilled job.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Ways to fix the problem:

1. Raise wage to around $10 an hour. It will attract a higher calibur of workers and allow the company to ask the things it does (overtime, come in on days off, etc). People tend to respect rules more when they are paid better.

2. Improve CM dining. Make the food cheaper priced and add a new dining room to make lines move faster. Also offer some free things such as bread, bagels, muffins, rolls, etc along with condiments such as peanut butter, jam, butter, etc for the CM who forgot their wallet at home or just wants a light snack and can't afford it for whatever reason.

3. Make the CMs feel like a family. Disney is a very wealthy company, and should be giving incentives to their company members. Perfect attendance, outstanding job performance, random drawings should all happen on a regular basis where CMs can win decent prizes ranging from a paid day off or a free meal, to TVs or cash rewards. My company has a bingo card each employee gets and every day they announce two numbers. One random employee wins per month. The more money the Disney company spends on their CMs, the more loyal and dedicated they will be. On the same note, longevity bonus should become more dynamic. The company I work for is structured thusly: $50 for less than 3 mos, $250 for less than 6 mos, $500 for a year, $750 for two years, $900 for three years, and it increases by $250 every year untill it reaches $1650 at year 6. This is our Christmas Bonus, so a CM getting $500 of extra cash after being there for their first year will be pretty happy and want to stick around to see $750. Then we also have a flat bonus in the summer so no matter what time of the year you join, you are always seeing the company giving you back money in appreciation.

All this free money and food and such sounds expensive. And it is. But so is training a new fleet of CMs every month, the losses caused by new CMs who make mistakes (broken mechandice, unbalanced cash drawer, food made improperly), not to mention dissatisfied patrons who will frequent the parks less or spend less money on a trip due to bad service. So you can make your CMs happy by giving them free stuff in appreciation for their service, or you can keep taking whatever walks through the door and spend money trying to get them up to standards only to have them quit for a job that pays better.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    The trashman in my neighborhood (Anaheim) makes over $20 an hour and can't speak a word of english.

Its also

- a very phyiscal job
    - in many areas a government job
    - and a job no one wants at all so they must pay well to attract anyone.

Sorry.. comparing trashmen to cashiers in DL doesn't work.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post

You should see the guys (and gals) that do our cul-de-sac. We're talkin some SERIOUS skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    But let's not let that take away from the fact that Disney's pay is subpar. They're not even competitive with In-n-Out, let alone equivalent. I mean, they're just not even in the same range. And In-n-Out does provide its low-end workers a chance to move up within the company (an agent at my company is a former In-n-Out manager who made darn good money, and yes, he started on the front lines). I don't think the modern-day CM actually believes they will get past the glass ceiling between manager and CM at Disney.
    This is a good point. In-n-out runs a tight ship, and for some reason, they always have the nicest kids working there. I've been munching on their cuisine since...um...the 1980's and I have NEVER come across a lousy employee. Slow service (come on...it doesn't have to be THAT fresh!), but GREAT employees who have consistently been polite, well groomed, personable people. (Anyone have a different story? )

Now....why aren't they working at Disneyland? Because Disneyland isn't paying $10.00 an hour. When you pay a starting rate of 10 bucks, you get a PILE of applications and you turn away those who are "meh." When you pay $8.00, you pretty much take what you can get. Now....mixed into the "meh" are those individuals like some who have contributed to this thread who LOVE Disneyland who work at the park in SPITE of the pay.

Add to that the potential of working right up to an $85,000 a year management position at In-n-out, and you have a line of potential applicants that goes up the street. Since I was in college, all I've ever heard about Disneyland in terms of moving up is that it is all based on politics and who you know.

So there it is then.

Can you give us a link? I'm willing to believe it was higher than $1/hr, but I find those numbers a little hard to believe.
    Back in 1983 my college roommate was getting around $7-8 per hour to bus tables at the Tahitian Terrace.

Umm... I have a college degree, and I've never been offered a job that paid more than $15/hr. That's why I went into real estate instead. But the numbers you're talking about aren't realistic for recent college grads, let alone anyone who hasn't finished school and is working in a labor position.
    I suppose that it depends on one's degree. Where I work our entry level college grads start anywhere between 50 and 70K per year.

• Helmsdad

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    As for sixwoofys' comments.. you can always work for yourself.. but with the pros come the cons as well. Many 'grass is greener's downplay the cons. Things like affordable insurance.. 401k contributions.. paid vacation.. etc etc.
    Why is affordable insurance a con? BELIEVE me if your employer is paying for your insurance then YOU are paying for YOUR insurance. If your employer was NOT paying your insurance then he COULD PAY YOU MORE!

401K ?? That's a con for being able to do what you want? The 401K is the con.

Paid Vacation? If you are making $100,000 MORE per year do you think you could pay your own vacation?

I pay for all my own vacations, I prefer ROTH over 401K - Remember that 401 money has NOT had taxes paid on it YET - and the employer has the right to not vest you fully. That takes control away from you and gives it to your employer! Just more Volunteer Slavery.

Insurance? Afforadble? Okay this is how it works if you have money and are secure in your future and finances. You have a catastrophic policy with a high deductable in case (God forbid) you get cancer etc. For other medical services you just PAY the Doctor just like you would a mechanic. It's really not that difficult to understand. After 5, 10 or 15 years with no major medical problems Ie: broken leg etc. You have saved maybe $60,000 to $100,000 by NOT giving it away to insurance companies. How many broken legs could you pay for with that kind of money? (Many young people do not even have insurance and don't want it.)
    Remember you still do have that high deductable for emergencies. And your medical savings account GAINS INTEREST and that COMPOUNDS!

I cannot stop good people from living in their respective boxes with their golden handcuffs if that's what they want. But I'm not painting a "grass is greener" concept - it's just the way it is done for many people like myself.

Originally Posted by fkurucz
    Once upon a time the concept of a living wage was not alien in the US. As we slowly turn into a 3rd world country we are becoming comfortable with the idea that articulate, reliable and hard working people can be paid less than a living wage.

Very Interesting and thought provoking.

It seems to me that there are MANY Disneyland employees who are NOT happy with working at the "happiest place on earth." I find this to be awfully sad. I think it is because many of these people are not doing what they want to do. If you are not doing what you want to do then you will never be happy. Money will not make you happy in the long run. Sure a boatload would be fun for a while but we would still have to find out what it is we WANT to do. When you have the money you will see.

What is it that you really want to do? Do you know yourself well enough to be able to answer that question honestly? It's really the only question that matters in your life. Who are you and what do you want. You may find that it has NOTHING to do with working at Disneyland. When you find out let yourself know. If you need help finding out, there are ways to examine it. I think most CM's are REALLY good people with amazing potential. Most of the work I do that pays me NOTHING is also, at the same time the most REWARDING - but that's just me.
    Good Luck and thanks again for your thoughtful posts.

Did I just say that?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    Why is affordable insurance a con? BELIEVE me if your employer is paying for your insurance then YOU are paying for YOUR insurance. If your employer was NOT paying your insurance then he COULD PAY YOU MORE!
    Independantly I can not swing the coverage they do as a whole, nor the pricing. So regardless of who pays for it (directly... or your fictional money) the rates are cheaper. I have full family coverage (dental, eye, medical) for $120/month. What do you pay?

401K ?? That's a con for being able to do what you want? The 401K is the con.
    They pay into my 401k. That's an extra 4-8% pre-tax in addition to my contributions pre-tax. That's 4-8% that I would have to 'come up with' myself I worked for myself.

Paid Vacation? If you are making $100,000 MORE per year do you think you could pay your own vacation?
    The numbers aren't what's significant.. its the fact even when I'm not working.. I'm getting paid. I didn't have to 'save up' to offset the time when I'm not collecting income. I get 5 weeks a year.. that's a lot of time to offset my normal income.

Remember that 401 money has NOT had taxes paid on it YET
    The gains are not taxed.. that's the whole point. They are only taxed if you are stupid or get put into a desperate situation and withdraw it early.

and the employer has the right to not vest you fully.
    Well all my contributions (and theirs) are fully vested from the get go.. so not sure what you are saying.

For other medical services you just PAY the Doctor just like you would a mechanic. It's really not that difficult to understand. After 5, 10 or 15 years with no major medical problems Ie: broken leg etc. You have saved maybe $60,000 to $100,000 by NOT giving it away to insurance companies. How many broken legs could you pay for with that kind of money?
    I'm paying approx $1300/year in insurance. You think I'm going to save 60k-100k before needing insurance? Last I checked.. most people need insurance before a time period of 50-75 years. Plus.. I have a family, not just myself to pay for. So while you may only need a doctor every 2-5 years.. divide that by the 5 people in my family and now you'll see that you'll need to see the doctor every 6-12 months for someone.

Plus.. the rates doctors charge vs the negotiated rates are rediculous.

Ok.. enough OT on this. But yes, working independent has its advantages.. but lets leave the blinders and koolaide at home.

• I have returned !!

Professortango fixed it all right there... you have my vote or CEO or HR guru.. ( i really didnt want to do that job anyway..)

Now insurance is another sticky topic. The State of Ca. needs to do something.. the Feds need to do something.. to revamp our insurance situations. Even when employers in good faith TRY to supply you with insurance it is all a joke and you better not get a hangnail cuase its gonna cost ya.

I am only lucky being currently un-employed and disabled as i have medi-cal. I really needed it last week and I know if i had to copay and stuff i would be wiped out finacially from my hosptialization last week. No doubt.
    Mkaing 100K a year or not.. we need a health plan. Cause it is all a mess.

SO still i wouldnt work as a CM unless the plan Professortango suggested was remotely close to the offerings.

as for the trash man? I am glad they pay him plenty. Thats a yucky job.

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• insufferable know-it-all

We're getting a bit sidetracked here.

Even if we assume that DL cast members are young people who do not have families to support, the truth is, they are NOT going to make $100K, and nobody's asking them to. However, even accounting for all that, the $8/hr they're making is clearly an issue or DL would not have a hiring problem. DL expects In-N-Out quality CMs, but they're paying for Burger King (there's a good question, who pays more?).

Once upon a time, you could count on DL CMs to be clean-cut, friendly, etc. But more and more the adjective I'd use is "surly". They're just not able to attract quality applicants for that paltry a sum.

Regardless of whatever we have to say about pay in the aggregate, the problem is local, the problem is the one being experienced by DL. They're struggling to hire enough quality people, which means for THAT job, THEY are not paying enough.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    As we slowly turn into a 3rd world country we are becoming comfortable with the idea that articulate, reliable and hard working people can be paid less than a living wage.
    wow, where do you shop. I certainly don't run into those types of people. I run into lazy workers who would rather do just about anything else except there jobs. The variety of tattoos and body piercings are interesting, but very unprofessional.

anyway, I still don;t feel an entry level job requires a living wage, which in the OC would need to be closer to $30.00 an hour.

PLEASE don't call us spies.

The word has such a negative connotation.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast