Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

DL Human Resource Spys Posting at MiceChat?

Just noticed 2 different topics here at MiceChat,
    that would seem very insulting to me, if I were a
    cast member. And I'm sure many cast members
    would feel somewhat aprehensive about posting
    about such things on an open chat board, but the
    number of "employees" DL is going through, is faster
    than a roll of toilet paper being unrolled down DL Drive.

At first, the topics appear to be friendly like:
    "Cast Member Appreciation" and "Ways to Improve Cast Member Moral"
    But looking closer at these threads and you see comments like:

"I have never been a Cast Member but from what I understand
    they get paid, it is obvious they DO NOT do it for the money."

and suggest that there must be other ways to retain employees
    without paying them more.

To begin working for Disney there must be some attraction to the company
    and/or the type of work they do, in creating that magic, and continuing the
    legacy of Walt. And in return Disney should be creating a good working situation
    for their employees/cast members.

But regardless, these people who work at creating the magic, face to face,
    the one who maintain the cleanliness, and the ones who entertain, ARE REAL
    WORKING PEOPLE ~ and People work, above and beyond ANY OTHER REASON,
    is because they need the money to surrive. And without paying your employees
    a livable working wage, you aren't going to be able to keep employees happy,
    or to keep them at all.

Glossing over the pay issue is #1 Human Resource issue at DL, and
    all these these topics that do it, are just pandering to the disasterous
    way DL Human Resources is running things. To DL HR personnel, "pay"
    appears to be just as invisible an issue, as invisible as that New President
    of DL has been for nearly EIGHT MONTHS.

So, for the cast members of DL, what would be a reasonable $ per
    Hour wage that DL Cast Members should be expecting, and keep cast
    members. DL used to be proud of the cast members that have longevity
    with DL. Unfortunately, that has turned drastically in the past decade,
    What kind of salary does DL NEED to be offering all the employees on the
    front line?

Re: DL Human Resource Spys Posting at MiceChat?

As a cast member i think about $9.50 an hour or even more would be good, just for the main fact that i believe that is the starting wage at in and out! i went in there to eat last week and i saw the wage in bold type in huge font on the application! and i thought damn, I am making a little over a dollar less than them, and i work at disney and deal with people who can be very difficult sometimes.

• I'm A Disney Girl

as a former cast member, I can honestly say that 7.83 an hour was not a liveable wage at all, and I agree with lesmisfan that $9.50 as the starting rate (for the lowest paying job at disney) would be a _great_ start. While working for Disneyland is indeed a magical experince...we need to live too

• no flash photography...

I guess the wages should be raised at target, walmart and every fast food place as well. I mean they do need to live also.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I guess the wages should be raised at target, walmart and every fast food place as well. I mean they do need to live also.
    Once upon a time the concept of a living wage was not alien in the US. As we slowly turn into a 3rd world country we are becoming comfortable with the idea that articulate, reliable and hard working people can be paid less than a living wage.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    Wal*Mart, Target, and fast food places aren't experiencing 100% turn over. There is a problem with pay at Disneyland. I don't advocate a "living" or even a minimum wage, but Disney has a problem at Disneyland. Personally, I don't believe Disney should look to unskilled teenagers and others like Wal*Mart, Target, or fast food places. Customer service, when present, at these places is very poor. Disney claims to offer a premium service with prices that match. The level service should match the prices and boasting. I believe Disney should offer top dollar so that they are able to hire only the best of the best of the best. Yes, operating a cash register may not be rocket science, but some do it with better efficiency and customer service.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    At first, the topics appear to be friendly like:
    "Cast Member Appreciation" and "Ways to Improve Cast Member Moral"
    But looking closer at these threads and you see comments like:

"I have never been a Cast Member but from what I understand
    they get paid, it is obvious they DO NOT do it for the money."

and suggest that there must be other ways to retain employees
    without paying them more.
    Well, as far as "Ways to Improve Cast Member Morale" is concerned, it was started by a CM. They come right out and say so, and that they've been one for years. Other people made the comment on there that you work at Disneyland because you like Disneyland, first. Pay is absolutely important, especially considering how expensive Orange County can be, among other factors. But the discussion on that thread, carried on by CM and guest alike, is that they could focus on making the CM feel more comfortable in their position, at least while on the clock. Disney obviously doesn't want to raise wages, seeing as how they've been mailing surveys and conducting studies for quite a while now. If they don't want to raise wages, couldn't they at least improve the quality of the job, with more training and an improved point system and the like?
    Oo-de-lally!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    Well, as far as "Ways to Improve Cast Member Morale" is concerned, it was started by a CM. They come right out and say so, and that they've been one for years. Other people made the comment on there that you work at Disneyland because you like Disneyland, first. Pay is absolutely important, especially considering how expensive Orange County can be, among other factors. But the discussion on that thread, carried on by CM and guest alike, is that they could focus on making the CM feel more comfortable in their position, at least while on the clock. Disney obviously doesn't want to raise wages, seeing as how they've been mailing surveys and conducting studies for quite a while now. If they don't want to raise wages, couldn't they at least improve the quality of the job, with more training and an improved point system and the like?
    The purpose of the surveys is to make the HR department look like it is doing something. Or rather that a manager is.

Disney knows what the problem is and how to fix it. They just don't want to pay the price as long as they can keep functioning without doing so.

• The one, the only...

When Disneyland first opened, there was a concept that a MC could work their way up. Indeed, people were able to prove themselves to the company and the company rewarded them with promotions, even to becoming a Vice President. But that was the old days. Now Disney management just wants to pay the lowest price possible. There is no incentive to preform well. No one is under any illusion that they could work their way up into management today, so pay for current performance is the sole reason to work. At Wal-mart there is potential promotions to manager levels. Disney does not value experience enough.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

I like to think that those at DL are the Best of the Best.

On a financial note: They do not get tips, yet work directly with the public providing an individual service.

Walmart, Target, Mcdonalds... God bless these people but I do not expect to see excellent motivated employees everywhere --- in fact, once in a while I see none (and I wish that was a joke but HOLY SMOKES i can't go to my local Walmart anymore as the IQ level is below dangerous levels)

I have worked as a "Interpreter" in British Columbia's two largest Historical towns as a street actor who interacts 8 hours a day with park guests. I also have a Bachelor or Arts and a Bachelor of Education so when I choose those jobs, it's for my soul, not my wallet ----BUT that being said, I am able to degociate a wage of close to 20 bucks an hour and cut rate on local hotel expenses. I wish Disneyland employees, whom I have never met one who I would not give a kidney to, had a union which would provide benefits for the employees including Heath, Dental, Psychological and family counselling and in return, they get employees who are trained, focused on their guests and strongly motivated.

How long could Disneyland go with a full scale strike? Sure they could restock employees with scabs but can you imagine the public opinion and safety concerns!

Add to that a boycott of Disney movies by major unions.

Disney sells a name first.... they do not want to see their employyes standing outside with signs "Will run Splash Mountain for Food."
    Disney Road

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Wal*Mart, Target, and fast food places aren't experiencing 100% turn over. .
    Of course there is. Especially fast food restraunts. That is the nature of the beast. However, Disney has always held itself, and most fans and the general public, holds it's customer service to a higher standard. When I go to Six Flags, I don't expect as much out of their CMs, I'm just content for them to do their job. At Burger King, that poor guy/gal who has to work the drive-thru window, I'm sure the job is tough, but I really don't expect them to do anything other than process my order and give me my bag of gruel. I, and others hold Disney to a higher standard. However, society as a whole has decided through economics to create a strata of unskilled laborers and pay them nothing. Fast Food restraunts (except In n' Out, don't bother bringing them up, they are 1 out of hundreds) instead of raising wages, have instead focused on streamlining and idiot-proofing their equipment and procedures so that less training is necessary. Read 'Fast Food Nation' and you will see how the fast food industriy's holy grail is a system where they can take some Joe Schmo off the street, give them a nametag, and with 0 training have them make a burger. The Fast Food industry is not alone. Every large industry is more focused on anything other than improving the lot of their unskilled workers. They expect to have triple-digit turnoever rates, they aren't trying to combat it anymore, but to do adapt to waht they feel is inevitable.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    JPeople work, above and beyond ANY OTHER REASON,
    is because they need the money to surrive.
    True, people do need money to survive. But as you mentioned, you never worked for Disney, and Disney is a different world and requires a different mindset.

I don't say that to demean you, please please understand that. It is just that Disneyland is not part of the Amusement and Recreation industry as people think it is. Disneyland really is part of the Entertainment industry. And the Entertainment industry is a different planet altogether.

No one, and I mean no one goes into the Entertainment industry for the money. If you don't believe me I can introduce you to 3 million people just by flipping through the LA telephone directory who will all tell you the same thing.

This is the same thing with Disneyland. A great number of people are there because of what Disneyland is. And that proportion get higher when you start going up the seniority ladder. That love is what keeps people there despite what Disney does in a managerial context.

And as pointed out in another thread, you can pay people a million dollars an hour and it won't really matter. If you treat them badly, they'd go work at McDonalds as long as they were treated well.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Confucius say: Deaf husband and blind wife make happy couple

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Ok, so this is just ME - not speaking for anyone else.

I took my job at Disneyland because I needed spending money for college and I figured that once I graduated, I could move on to an actual career.

After 6 months, I can honestly say that I LOVE my job. I love being a part of something that is so special to so many people & I would love to stay as long as they'll let me.

Problem is - I graduate in a year, and I have 4 years of U.C. loans to start paying on top of rent/food/gas. So here I am faced with a problem I never expected; I will not be able to afford to keep the job I love. I have worked elsewhere for $14-16/hour and I know I CAN do those things, but I hated them. OR I could be happy doing something I love and making people smile, and live in a cardboard box behind K lot.

Should pay be the sole reason for working at Disneyland? Absolutely not. Should it be easier for me to pay off college working at Starbucks? No way.

• I have returned !!

It is indeed very disconcerting to think that one place in the world that can make people smile cannot pay to keep its employees doing the same.
    It has to cost Disney a large amount of money to train a new employee and get them up to speed. You would think someone in finance would point this out to HR.
    On the flip side.. even raising the wages to 9.50 would'nt work at this point.. cause on Jan 1 2008 Ca. min wage goes to 8.00.. so I would say 10 bucks an hour gives you a chance you may be able to pay rent and eat in the same month no matter where you live in California. Any employer as large as Disney Parks should be a trend setter in keeping employees for the long term, not as a turn about job reminicent of a high school fast food entry level position. This is not 1955... get with it.

Why am I paying 5 bucks for water? Surely the 4 dollars made off of it can pay an employee, or four, an extra dollar and hour.
    Last edited by idzy; 03-11-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: cause i cannot spell and it will make me crazy to leave typos...

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• Ex-CM - Class of 89

I think that issue is that the Walt Disney Co does not want to invest in long term hourly employees. I think it shows in how they treat their employees. I was speaking to a friend tonight that has worked there for 10 plus years, and is a full-time, "A" status employee, tell me what is like to work there now.

• Only full-time gets benefits
    • Casual Regulars, and Part-Time do not!
    • They only have 4 holidays, CR's and Part-Time, that get time and a half
    Good grief, that tells me that they DO WANT the high turn over. Costco starts their employees at $10.00 an hour, and after 4 years, can be making around $44,000 a year with benefits, and they are union. It shows the difference in the 2 managements, one cherishes their employees, and one does not. Disney will not do this for their hourly employees, they have fought and will continue to take as much away as they can from the employees. The powers that be do not care about their hourly employees, they are replaceable, and if they can fill the slots, if for only a few months, that is fine with them. People will continue to come, and they know that. Disney has the brand name, and they are the power house of amusement entertainment, so the well will not dry up anytime soon when it comes to guest flocking to the Greediest Place on Earth. I feel until us GUEST, start to stand up, and make the complaints about the parks, nothing will ever be done. We did it regarding DCA, no one went to that park, and they finally figured it out that it was a poorly, and cheaply designed park, and something needs to be done. I feel the same thing can happen when it comes to complaining about the caliber of Cast Members that work there. I guess it goes back that wise saying, "You have to spend money, to make money."
    Long live the "Happiest Place on Earth" the ORIGINAL, Disneyland.
    Former Cast Member - Class of 89

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast