Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Treasure Island at Disneyland

One would think Disneyland should be exploiting all of their other pirate-based properties in this piratical gold-rush era. Walt loved him some pirates - - why not bring them all to the party?:

Treasure Island - - Why not find room for Long John Silver and Ben Gunn out on Pirates' lair at Tom Sawyer Island (since the Frontier theme is getting the keelhaul anyway) - - Hell, why not just call this project a much snappier "Treasure Island?" instead? At least it keeps some literary merit and classic Walt Disney lineage. Construct the Admiral Benbow Inn instead of a fort. Even if it's more about Jack Sparrow, Treasure Island is a better name - - and why not issue treasure maps and let kids hunt for prizes out there?

Swiss Family Robinson - - The perfect reason to bring back the Robinson's Treehouse, but with the anti-pirate attack riggings and tiger pits, coconut bombs and pirate alarms!

Peter Pan - - This is the perfect time to bring back Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock in Fantasyland. Little kids want to play pirate too! And maybe Chicken of the Sea would gladly renew their sponsorship at this opportune time?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Treasure Island at Disneyland

I'm sorry. I am 38 years old. I never saw Treasure Island as a kid and watching it recently I was pretty bored. I think they would have to re-make it before they even think of putting it in Disneyland.

• It's all nonsense

What about Treasure Planet. Same story...but with a twist.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I'm attempting to restrain myself from premature rants regarding the invasiveness of the Pirate theme on TSI. This change to an iconic DL fixture has stirred up a lot of folks, and illicited a sort of panic regarding the "pirate invasion" of Disneyland.

I'm gonna wait and see (though remaining a bit skeptical) about this pirate "craze", and rely on the public's always fickle nature, and rapidly changing tastes (or lack thereof).

This being said, I loved Treasure Island. Go Pirates!

• Circle of Ancients

I am actually surprised that they haven't tried to re-capitalize on the Treasure Planet thing in TL with Pirates being so popular right now.

I mean, yes, the movie didn't do great but I think they could certainly capitalize on it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm sorry. I am 38 years old. I never saw Treasure Island as a kid and watching it recently I was pretty bored. I think they would have to re-make it before they even think of putting it in Disneyland.
    We're of the same generation, and I saw it. I even had the little 45rpm Disneyland storybook and record. You know, when you hear the bell you know it's time to turn the page? That one and the Haunted Mansion one (I had that one too) were my favorites man, I wish I still had them.

• Minion

I forgot about Treasure Planet, but so have most.

I love Walt Disney's Treasure Island and Robert Newton's definitive performance. Whether kids know Treasure Island as a film or not, the title is familiar to all, as is the name and manner of Long John Silver - - all you need to know is pirate and treasure - - Besides, the book is still required reading in school (if they still have school these days). But it matters not to the name or concept.

With Disney execs, it's unfamiliarity that breeds contempt!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    With Disney execs, it's unfamiliarity that breeds contempt!
    Hmmm...maybe my new signature?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    We're of the same generation, and I saw it. I even had the little 45rpm Disneyland storybook and record. You know, when you hear the bell you know it's time to turn the page? That one and the Haunted Mansion one (I had that one too) were my favorites man, I wish I still had them.
    Ahh yes...

Those Storybook/record things. I had a few of those. Some were 45's. I think a lot of them were small 33 1/3rd's.

I had the original HM record. The big one with jacket that was also a book. I remember it had the Hatbox Ghost in there. I can kick myself... I sure wish I knew whatever happened to it!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ahh yes...

Those Storybook/record things. I had a few of those. Some were 45's. I think a lot of them were small 33 1/3rd's.

I had the original HM record. The big one with jacket that was also a book. I remember it had the Hatbox Ghost in there. I can kick myself... I sure wish I knew whatever happened to it!
    No you're right. They weren't 45's. They were 7" 33 1/3 rpm's. I remember now because the woman who narrated the record would always say it was a "Long Playing Record" The little one of HM also had the groom whose head would disappear from his shoulders and appear in a hat box too.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I am actually surprised that they haven't tried to re-capitalize on the Treasure Planet thing in TL with Pirates being so popular right now.

I mean, yes, the movie didn't do great but I think they could certainly capitalize on it.
    In the theaters, I wasn't really into it. But rewatching it on DVD, I love it. It was just too soon of a release I think. I mean, Lilo & Stitch was just released the same year during summer instead of winter (think Matrix sequels )

Yeah, with all this pirate craze, I'm a bit surprised Disney didn't do more with Treasure Planet. But I'm sure if TP was a big hit, they would have tapped into it without question.

I thought of a "Solar Sailing" dark ride. Similar to Peter Pan's Flight. Doesn't have to be BASED on the movie, just INSPIRED by it. Won't go into details. Maybe in Redd Rocket's, bringing that location back for an attraction. But to sort of honor Mission to Moon/Mars, I would've liked the in-the-round attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I forgot about Treasure Planet, but so have most.
    I never did.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I agree with the original post. That provides a happy medium between frontier and caribbean pirates.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Now see... that is a Pirates theme I could get behind!!
    But why not add in Muppet's Treasure Island?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Let's not forget Blackbeard's Ghost too - - maybe a haunted Inn somewhere with his portrait (last seen in the PoC haul up the exit ramp)?

• Hooterville, USA

If pirates is good enough for Walt and Merlinjones, then that's good enough for me.

Did ya notice that Merlin always comes up with great ideas?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast