Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Twenty-Seven Months of Anticipation

Space Mountain has been closed for twenty-six months and reamins a month and a week away till its official opening. The track will remain the exact same. New enhancements will include: New ride cars, new effects and a new queue. It only took twenty-three months to make the WHOLE Space Mountain attraction that opened in 1977. My question is why has it taken so long to create these enhancements to Space Mountain?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Minion

Somebody compared it to one of those ships in a bottle. They took out the old ship and put in a new one, without breaking the bottle.(they had to take out the old track and put in the new track without disturbing the exterior of the mountain.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe usually the coaster is built first, then the exterior around it. But here, they had to do it backwards. Also, they couldn't just bring in huge cranes and stuff all the time because it would be extremely noticeable- I'm guessing maybe a lot was done at night?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    My question is why has it taken so long to create these enhancements to Space Mountain?
    27 Months?..... Well... The work itself only took 6 months. The other 21 was trying to get it ready around Eisners fat head.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Also remember that back in the day, the park wasn't open 7 days a week. And during this entire operation Tomorrowland has been kept open, that makes the going slower.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Also, we now know that the track is NOT the same... at all. It is now all right turns (except for the last one), and the last lift now ends closer to the top of the dome. We also know that the floor was excavated out deeper, implying that the total descent is even farther.

Also, I don't think the original track was built before the building. Considering how the building is structured that would have made construction incredibly difficult, and they'd have been repairing and replacing sections of track forever before the thing was even finished.

No, dude, I'm sorry, but the track layout IS exactly the same. I am aware of what the annual pass newsletter said. The track is entirely replaced with new track, however in the exact same original layout.

• out & about

I believe even Al has said that the new track follows the same layout.
    Digging down or excavating the ground doesnt neccesarily mean the ride goes down farther. It may just mean they had to dig down to replace foundation or footings or they dug down for something to do with the new queue.

Plus I remember S.M. being mostly right turns to begin with.

But well really never know until we get to see it for ourselves. There are so many conflicting reports its almost impossible to tell whos right and whos making it up...
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
    Anybody who thinks the ride is going to be majorly different from before, is setting themselves up for a major case of anticipointment.

It's Space Mountain - still one of Disney's best coaster designs, with a newly engineered structure and track, new effects, and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    I believe even Al has said that the new track follows the same layout.
    I too believe that is the case. I even remember reading that they had to close Space Mountain early because of problems (ie cracks) in the track. A very scary thing to hear, especially since the last time I rode it was a couple of days before they closed it.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt
    Anybody who thinks the ride is going to be majorly different from before, is setting themselves up for a major case of anticipointment.

It's Space Mountain - still one of Disney's best coaster designs, with a newly engineered structure and track, new effects, and not much else.
    Lest we forget that Dinosaur and Indy have the exact same ride vehicles and track layout, but different theming. And they are VERY different rides. I think Space Mountain will seem very different...the working audio, alone, would do that........
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt

While the track layout will esentially be the same...(though I have have heard reports that it does lie considerably higher... closer to the top of the building...and...it's a fact that the 're-entry tunnel' is longer)... I think the smootheness of the new track will definitely make it 'feel' different, and perhaps ride a little faster...but more importantly... I believe the new effects are going to be awsome... let's face it.... the stars they implemented in 1977 were basically the same effect of that of a giant disco ball, ...I think we're now going to be seeing something much more layered and textured (from what I've read...high-tech projectors, fiber-optics, etc)... along with other effects... the meteor, music, etc... that your brain, eyes, ears, taking in all these things... I think the ride is going to be a whole new experience all together. -Also...don't forget....steel coasters back then required so much more supports/scaffolding (I'm sure you guys have all seen the pics of old Space with the lights on...have you seen all that crap in there?!!)...now...with the new track/building technology, I'm sure it allowed them to have more space to create "space".
    Last edited by Tigger68; 06-07-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

• At the Gym or at DL

Why would Disney want to go to the trouble of changing the configuration of the track? To satisfy a few thousand ultra SM fans who actually can recall every turn and drop in the old ride? They are going to come and ride it a hundred times a year new layout or not.

The goal of marketing a "Grand Relaunching" will be to attract visitors who might not otherwise go to DL. Those folks won't notice whether or not the track has been reconfigured on a ride that takes place in the dark. What they will notice is enhanced themeing and effects so it will be the all new, improved SM. Why spend money when you don't have to, Disney's not dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    The other 21 was trying to get it ready around Eisners fat head.

Amen on this, LOL!

But it seriously took way to long just to put a couple new effects in and some squared steel track.
    BTW. when you were riding SM (back then) it wasn't completly dark you could still see the supports. I have a feeling if there just going to put regular steel support, the ride is gonna look plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    But it seriously took way to long just to put a couple new effects in and some squared steel track.
    BTW. when you were riding SM (back then) it wasn't completly dark you could still see the supports. I have a feeling if there just going to put regular steel support, the ride is gonna look plain.

they had to rip out the old track... take it through the back door...so to speak... build and bring the new track in through the same back door...and I think it's gonna be more than just a "couple new special effects"..and I'm sorry..but if the whole point is...you're supposed to be flying through Space...who wants to see metal supports/scaffolding? Now with more space...and I believe it IS going to be darker in there...you're gonna see better effects/stars, etc...in that extra space...which is gonna give the whole look a better, more realistic feel...not just empty unused space so it looks 'plain'...lol...come on here...think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast