Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Defying gravity

Exclamation Declining by Degrees...What is Wrong With Disneyland CMs?!!!

So, I am spending my spring break in Disneyland, and just arrived on Sunday evening. I always enjoy my trips to Disneyland, but after only a few hours at the resort, I began to notice a pattern in the level of service that I had received…it was worse than ever!!!

Experience 1
    My parents and I went to buy deluxe annual passes at one of the front ticket gates. Being the informed guest that I am, I knew that we were each supposed to receive $20 Disney Vacation Club (DVC) discounts. Well, the CM who was serving us. First of all, he looked bored out of his mind. Second of all, rather than just acknowledging that he clearly had no idea what DVC was, he tried to argue with us that there was no such discount. Finally, an older CM came along and gave us APs for the more reasonable price of $209.

Experience 2
    We are sitting in front of the castle preparing to view Remember…Dreams Come True around 7:30 ish. Apparently, there is a new (well, at least, new to me) fireworks seating policy where everyone must be behind the curb of the street. I was, and still am, confused about this policy, and so were the people next to me. The CM standing in front of the castle tried to tell us that this had always been the policy and was arguing with me when I told him that I used to sit smack dab in front of the castle to watch fireworks. Um, does he need pictures as proof?!

Experience 3
    We ate lunch on Monday at the River Belle Terrace. The CMs are usually very efficient in cleaning up the tables. However, this time, the tables were dirty and dishes were laying around. Also, trash cans needed to be emptied instead of being kept in view of the guests. Guests simply should not be forced to clean up after other in order to get a clean table!!!

Experience 4
    My mom and I went pin shopping at Pioneer Merchantile. We asked a CM about the new Rockin’ Space Mountain pin. She looked around for it, but had no answer. Now, if I saw the pin…would I be asking you for help?! Then, we asked about an annual passholder exclusive pin. The CM said she didn’t know but would call her lead. Ok, fair enough. She called her lead and said “Hello, this is * in ADVENTURELAND!”

Experience 5
    While in the Once Upon a Time Princess Shop, there was a huge liquid spill on the floor. This could have been dangerous and should have been immediately cleaned up by one of the many CMs who were working at the store, especially with so many young children running around.

Experience 6
    I was in the Adventureland bathroom, when I heard a guest ask a CM about Fantasmic! and the fireworks. The CM said she wasn’t sure if either were playing tonight, but if they were, fireworks would start at 9:30 pm. Ok, I can see that she might have been a little bit confused since fireworks vary on weekdays due to seasonality. But….Fantasmic! isn’t showing for months…MONTHS! I wonder if the CM has any idea that Tom Sawyer Island is closed or what the Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer Island is.

See, this is the problem with Disneyland today…the CMs know nothing!!! I’m not reaching for the stars here, I’m just asking that CMs know basic things about the areas they work in…heck, they should at least know what the name of the area is that they are working in! These CMs have apparently never been to Disneyland before, because they have no knowledge of the park whatsoever. The CMs are here today and gone tomorrow. Disney needs to pay these CMs something, and go back to the Traditions training. Right now, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for workers, maybe even lower…….

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a little better.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 03-12-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Edited for safety

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Re: Declining by Degrees...What is Wrong With Disneyland CMs?!!!

Oh, boy...
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Party Button!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post

Experience 2
    We are sitting in front of the castle preparing to view RememberDreams Come True around 7:30 ish. Apparently, there is a new (well, at least, new to me) fireworks seating policy where everyone must be behind the curb of the street. I was, and still am, confused about this policy, and so were the people next to me. The CM standing in front of the castle tried to tell us that this had always been the policy and was arguing with me when I told him that I used to sit smack dab in front of the castle to watch fireworks. Um, does he need pictures as proof?!

Experience 6
    I was in the Adventureland bathroom, when I heard a guest ask a CM about Fantasmic! and the fireworks. The CM said she wasnt sure if either were playing tonight, but if they were, fireworks would start at 9:30 pm. Ok, I can see that she might have been a little bit confused since fireworks vary on weekdays due to seasonality. But.Fantasmic! isnt showing for monthsMONTHS! I wonder if the CM has any idea that Tom Sawyer Island is closed or what the Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer Island is.

With the fireworks policy, you're right. It hasn't always been like that. I believe we stopped letting guests sit smack dab in front of the castle around the late fall or early winter--I hadn't worked parades/pyro in a while--because it's just easier to stop people from ducking in at the last minute.

And, oh. My bad. The Fantasmic! question was one I've answered like that. But to be totally honest, I had totally blanked on the Tom Sawyer construction. It had just gone down, and I totally forgot that it had--I was too excited to be back on parades/pyro. After the person had asked me and walked away after my answer, I immediately realized what I said, and wanted to slam my face into the tree next to me for that dumb move.
    "I call Voyager! That's my sub. Voyager. MINE-SIES!"

"Have you noticed that during the holidays, Tomorrowland is the only land with no decorations? So, apparently, according to Disneyland, there is no Christmas in the future."

• Minion

Sorry about your bad experiences. To my knowledge, there is no excuse for the cm not to know about fantasmic or fireworks. I thought they were briefed every night and they also get a park schedule geared to cm's so that they can look stuff up and be helpful to guests.

• Lost in Wonderland

Wow some of those experiences must be very embarassing for Disney.

The posts about Disney's deteriorating state are popping up everywhere these days. Hopefully Disney will note this and try and fix its problem. But the problem of a 110% turnover rate isn't helping and obviously there are severe problems that Disney can't figure out how to fix.

Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences you had. Did you have any good ones yet?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm sorry to hear about your 6 experiences. I can only say that maybe someone had 6 positive CM experiences and went home knowing what Disneyland still has to offer.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by attnspacetravelers View Post
    With the fireworks policy, you're right. It hasn't always been like that. I believe we stopped letting guests sit smack dab in front of the castle around the late fall or early winter--I hadn't worked parades/pyro in a while--because it's just easier to stop people from ducking in at the last minute.

And, oh. My bad. The Fantasmic! question was one I've answered like that. But to be totally honest, I had totally blanked on the Tom Sawyer construction. It had just gone down, and I totally forgot that it had--I was too excited to be back on parades/pyro. After the person had asked me and walked away after my answer, I immediately realized what I said, and wanted to slam my face into the tree next to me for that dumb move.
    Please note that my response was not directed to you. I understand at the begining of things ppl do forget and are on "automatic response". But, in my oppinion, it has been closed now for a few weeks and well, the cm should have checked to make sure!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Sounds like most of the complaints are generated by
    too few cast members cleaning, and too few cast members
    with the knowledge, experience, and sufficient training,
    which ALL relate to the HORRENDOUS turnover that has
    been spiralling out of control at DL. There are so few
    Cast Members at DL with ANY longevity working in DL.
    ALL PRIMARILY DUE TO, has everyone heard this by now,
    the unlivable wages DL offers it's Cast Members.

DL just doesn't pay a competitive salary for Cast Members
    who have direct contact with guests. DL doesn't pay it's
    Cast Members enough to attract the high quality Cast Members
    it used to attract. Pretty Much anyone who lives within
    Working distance of DL, has already worked for DL or won't
    work for DL due to it's poor salary rates. Any of the few
    cast members who have work for DL for more than a year
    are either independently wealthy or near homeless status.
    Really a sad situation for people who are trying to make
    it the Happiest Place on Earth.

Oh, maybe that's why Jay Rasulo doesn't advertise it that way
    anymore, it's now the Year of a Million Dreams. They don't
    want to overpromise, by saying it's still the Happiest
    Place on Earth

• Basking in birthday love

I once told a guest the wrong time for fireworks, because I'd forgotten what day of the week it was. Seriously, I thought it was a Sunday, and it was a Tuesday. When you work enough days in a row, you know where and when you have to show up that day and maybe the next day, but that's about all the temporal information you can retain.

As for the change in fireworks seating in front of the castle, I know they couldn't let people sit directly in front of the castle for Believe... In Holiday Magic, because they blew up the castle. I haven't properly watched Remember since it returned, but from what I could see at the Tiki Room, the pyro on the castle itself looks like it might be big enough to warrant a larger clearance. Or, they might have decided that things just work better if they're not dealing with castle seating, and kept it that way. I don't know, I haven't worked parades since before the holidays.

It's very difficult to brief CMs on the day's events, because everyone starts at different times. We'll do morning roll call at the Opera House, but that's only for the openers. Depending on the location, there may be notes lying around about various special things happening that day, but it doesn't cover the regular stuff. Hell, I didn't realize that there was only one parade today, because I'm used to only working on weekends (silly Spring Break), and I like to consider myself extremely knowledgeable. Not everyone's perfect, but people do the best they can.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post

Experience 2
    We are sitting in front of the castle preparing to view Remember…Dreams Come True around 7:30 ish. Apparently, there is a new (well, at least, new to me) fireworks seating policy where everyone must be behind the curb of the street. I was, and still am, confused about this policy, and so were the people next to me. The CM standing in front of the castle tried to tell us that this had always been the policy and was arguing with me when I told him that I used to sit smack dab in front of the castle to watch fireworks. Um, does he need pictures as proof?!
    I can say that when I was in Disneyland last summer, during July, a busy park day, that I was told the same thing. Cast members started coming out and telling everyone to get off the curb in front of the castle and to not stand behind it and not to sit down behind it. Again, we were not allowed to stand on it and not allowed to sit on it. They were very strict about it.

It made sense later on when the show started and I was in the front, feet against the curb, and people started walking in front of us. The CM's had created a walking path for guests to get from POINT A to POINT B. The entire fireworks show had this going on.

Some people kept stopping and standing in front of me and my party to watch the fireworks. Oh... we all started to complain and then the CM's told the people they couldn't stop there, that we were watching the show and that we had been standing there for a long time. The CM's then told the people who stopped in front of us to keep moving along.

The curb spot I picked out for me and my party during a busy day at the parks turned out to be a bad move as the amount of people moving through in front of the castle got larger, more annoying and near the end, people once again stopped and stood right in front of us. The CM's at this point stopped trying to tell people they couldn't stand there and left their positions to go elsewhere in the park.

Next time I go to Disneyland I expect the curb treatment if I stand in front of the castle but now I also know not to stand there if I don't have to.

With the parks being so busy now I expect the curb treatment/rules/procedure to be put into effect during any busy busy day.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

Apparently you ran into some of the New Brand Cast members

To cut down on dissatisfaction they are hiring them lobotomized.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

You'd be surprised how many cast members are hired that have never been to the park. I was thoroughly surprised when I found out how many people were walking through the park for the first time during Traditions.

Knowledgable CM's and ones that can actually 'keep the magic' are few and far between...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kidpirate View Post
    You'd be surprised how many cast members are hired that have never been to the park. I was thoroughly surprised when I found out how many people were walking through the park for the first time during Traditions.

Knowledgable CM's and ones that can actually 'keep the magic' are few and far between...
    Possibly because some of the people willing to work for those wages don't have the money to spare to pay their way into the park.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Possibly because some of the people willing to work for those wages don't have the money to spare to pay their way into the park.
    Too right. Now they can come in whenever they want! Hopefully they do, just to get an idea of where they work. One can get rather crazy working in the same land/area/attraction for any extended period of time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Maybe it's just me, but I have never had any encounter with a Disneyland cast member that was anything less that superlative. I've proffered many compliments at City Hall.

To be honest, I don't interact much with CM's since I pretty much know my way around and what I want to do, but those whom I have encountered have always been stereotypical "Disney."
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast