Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Koubu Pilot

Re: What Did Paul Pressler Do To Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Ummmm I think every CM should get a Disneyland history lesson as part of their training.
    The park's only been around a mere 51 years. Why start now? Well, as long as Ed Grier isn't teaching the Remedial Disneyland History course. He needs to be the student, not teacher.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    To augment what LostBoy posted, a favorite Pressler story is one that LB's told me a couple of times...at a press conference at the park to (I believe) announce his new position of Disneyland President...Pressler had the chutzpah to tell reporters that that was the very first time he had ever visited the park. As you would guess, those in attendance were stunned, as they well should have been.

Bad enough that it was true. Worse to admit it to the media, thinking it's some kind of charismatic ploy or whatever.

The best thing Pressler ever did while at Disney was to introduce the Angels red uniforms, and put the team up for sale the very same year they won the World Series, despite Disney's bungling ownership.

Rumor had it that the Opera House might soon be housing "Great Moments With Mr. Pressler".

But they're still looking for one.

--Barry

PS...While the Angels red uniforms are great, and certainly an improvement of that periwinkle blue mess that Eisner dreamed up, can't help but think...there's Pressler again...retail clothing sales as fans bought up the new gear...
    Angels blue uniforms...still trying to erase from mind

I had no idea the red was a Pressler invention

• insufferable know-it-all

You've pretty much gotten an earful already, but yeah, for more research, google the phrase "ride these rides to failure to save money".

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    There will be a lot of people who blame Paul for closing their favorite attractions, or removing their favorite show, but the truth is that Disneyland is an ever evolving business, and times change. Whether Paul was president or not, most of those shows and attractions would have been closed anyway. Mostly I don't find these complaints valid at all, especially considering that attendance remained high, and those who do the most complaining about such things, seem to go every week regardless.
    I blame Paul for the Columbia incident.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Now 40% less bitter!

Oh, I absolutely blame him, too. Something like that should have never happened. I was so angry that they used the CM as the scapegoat. "Well, she was the one steering it." Or whatever. Had they given her enough training, and actually had the CM(s) who knew what to do, that never would have happened. And who's fault was that? Not the CMs, not the trainers, not the accountants. Mr. Pressler's.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mousercise View Post
    Angels blue uniforms...still trying to erase from mind

I had no idea the red was a Pressler invention
    I wouldn't say it was his invention...not sure...I doubt it...he's just the guy that introduced them at the press conference.

Undoubtedly he'd never been to an Angels game before, either.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Ummmm I think every CM should get a Disneyland history lesson as part of their training.
    OFF TOPIC: Snide comment: This assumes that there's anyone left in the TDA building that knows anything about that history...

Isn't that part of "traditions" as they call it now? In my time it was merely "orientation" but we certainly were given an overview of the park's history.

And I'm sorry, for a CM not to have known about the PeopleMover? That's just a comment on the sad state of DL's employment affairs.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    Oh, I absolutely blame him, too. Something like that should have never happened. I was so angry that they used the CM as the scapegoat. "Well, she was the one steering it." Or whatever. Had they given her enough training, and actually had the CM(s) who knew what to do, that never would have happened. And who's fault was that? Not the CMs, not the trainers, not the accountants. Mr. Pressler's.
    Why Pressler? If you want to lay blame with the person in charge, then your blame should lay with Eisner and the Shareholders of the Walt Disney Company (many of whom probably post on these boards).

If you want to be more specific than Eisner then, you have to blame not just Eisner and Pressler but every vice president, director, manager, asst manager, general lead, lead, and trainer in between the CM and the Shareholders.

And I'm sorry, for a CM not to have known about the PeopleMover? That's just a comment on the sad state of DL's employment affairs.
    The Peoplemover was a dinosaur attraction that closed over 10 years ago. I would guess more guests are familar with the Rocket Rods than the PeopleMover by now, and in another five years there will be nostalgic petitions to bring back that ride.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    These were execs on a straight-up career trajectory - - not so much becuase of building and creating (quite the opposite) - - but because of an ability to follow the line and no fear to carry out unpleasant initiatives. When the word came down that it was time to "harvest the franchise", our execs were more than eager to comply. Like so many other strategic planners, they may have felt they were fixing an antiquated system and making it more efficient for the shiny new global entity.
    Exactly. Beautifully stated Merlin. One of your best posts ever. They just "followed orders" from a far more demented source, in a regime they believed would last 10 thousand years. Now they live quietly somewhere in Argentina.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Why Pressler?
    "Run till it fails"..you can't answer this question from the grave.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Let's not forget incentive: lavish lifestyles funded with big executive bonuses paid for profit growth and cost cutting.

I agree.

Pretty silly to expect a cast member to know something that trivial in my opinion.
    Maybe it's trivial, but when you're standing on the Monorail platform all day with thousands of guests facing you with those tracks right in your face, I would presume the question comes up, and I think Tomorrowland CMs, and specifically Monorail CMs, should know about the Peoplemover and the Rocket Rods.
    When I was a CM way back in '84, part of our training was a complete guided tour through the park, and we were expected to learn details not only about the park as it is, but also certain facts and details about the park as it was. So I don't think it's silly to remark about a Monorail CM being oblivious to the history of those tracks.

• Hooterville, USA

To answer the OP's original question, "He darn near ruined it!"

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

When I worked at WDI I did presentations with Pressler, so let me set the record straight -

PRESSLER DID NOT RUIN DISNEYLAND. MICHAEL EISNER RUINED DISNEYLAND. Pressler was only following Eisner's dictum. Had he walked into Eisner's office and proposed many of the things we wanted to push through, he'd have lost his job.

I'm sick of hearing all the Pressler bashing. I found him to be a likeable, intelligent, astute businessman who really tried to hold things together during the most cost-cutting period of the company's history. Eisner was the downfall of the company during this period, as he thought of himself as a creative (which he most certainly was not). As ego got in the way, the people working under him realized that it was better to support Eisner's ego than to leave the company at that time.

But Pressler - good guy, he understood it all. He was just caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    "Run till it fails"..you can't answer this question from the grave.
    I know it's going to sound cold and harsh, but what difference does it make?

Disneyland kills someone, and guests still line up at the gates.

They build Six Flags rides and people still line up at the gates.

All these horrible things that Pressler supposedly did.... had no affect at all on the bottom line. Pressler did his job and did it successfully, otherwise folks wouldn't be spending the money to get into the park.

Where's the hard solid proof that shows Pressler did a horrible job and almost ruined the park? There isn't any. Just a bunch of fans getting their panties in a bunch.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast