Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345122752 ... LastLast

• Music Meister

La Habra (15 mins from DLand on any good day!)

Timely Piece Reporting

Darkbeer, I want to thank you for a superb job with regard to the intricacies of FastPass. Being an APH I almost never use FastPass. However, realizing that as an APH I am clogging up lines for people who have one or two days to experience Disneyland and DCA. For them, FastPass is a great tool to pack in as much as possible. On 6/12 I was hosting a Birthday party for my son (his 7th). We invited my cousin, her husband and her three boys (10, 8,and 7). My cousin and her husband have not been to Disneyland for 15 years! The boys had NEVER been. This was unbelieveable to me. I took it upon myself to maximize their experience and manage their day. I knew that FastPass could be a way of doing that but did not know how to "work the system". Your post was perfectly timed. I did have to read it three times to really understand everything but I can see that there was no concise way of laying it out. EVERYTHING you laid out (in the regular FastPass explaination) was on the money. BUT it took a lot of stratagizing and leg work to do it right. However the results are phenominal. Included in my party are my parents, my son, my wife (all pass holders) all totaling 10. Here is how the day went:

9:45am Entry into the park
    ALL rush to Buzz Lightyear Blasters
    Upon arrival I collect everybody's tickets/AP. While they ride I walk to Indiana Jones to collect FastPasses. FP Start is 11:15
    10:15am We converge outside Buzz. From there I send them on some Stand Bys. Half go to Star Tours, half go to Matterhorn. Meanwhile, I park hop to DCA with a short list of rides they want to go on.
    10:30am: Collect FastPasses for ToT. DCA and Disneyland are on seperate networks. Yeah! 11:30am start on ToT passes. I am not in the greatest shape so keeping walking to a minimum was also a strategy point I needed to concider. So I walked to Screamin' and waited until 11:30am so I could collect my second FastPasses for DCA.
    11:10am: Via cell phone I gather everybody back in tomorrowland by Buzz. I direct them to do stand by on both Haunted Mansion and PotC. This bided me lots of time to collect more FPs.
    11:32am: After 25 mins of rest and people watching I collect FPs for Screamin'. Start time 1:15pm.
    11:45am: Collect FP for Grizzly River Run (GRR). Hey it's not on the network! Start time 1:05pm (no biggie because it's not on the network) Darkbeer rocks! I've collected all I could at DCA without staying another two hours. I check on everybody and they have just walked out of Haunted Mansion (all the kids sufficiantly scared) and are heading to PoTC. I give them a progress report.
    12:15pm: Indy's start time has now elapsed so I am free to get another FP at Disneyland. Autotopia was of importance to everybody so I got FP there. Start time 1:30pm. Autotopia was slower than usual. I should have done stand by here and opted for Splash.
    12:30pm: Rushed to ToonTown and got FP for Roger Rabbit. Start time 2:05pm.
    12:45pm: Rushed to PoTC to find everybody still in line. Popped in line with them. Now for a recount. I now have FPs for Indy, ToT, Screamin', GRR, Autotopia, and Roger Rabbit.
    1:00pm: Climbed Tarzan's Treehouse. Kids loved it. Especially when I made the Tiger roar!
    1:10pm: Entry into Indy for use of first FP. This was pivotal because I was not sure if the FP CM would honor an "expired" FP. According to Darkbeer they are trained to only look at the beginning time. The CM did not question us at all. We breezed right in.
    1:30pm: Report time to Birthday party with Mickey and Minnie. Cake surprising good. We had happy birthday good time and we even did the conga!
    2:15pm: Party over. I send everybody to Autotopia. Meanwhile, I b-line to Splash Mountain.
    2:30pm: Get FPs for Splash. Start time 7:05. However, I can get another FP at 4:30pm according to Darkbeer's explanation and the ticket print out.
    2:45pm: I report back to Autotopia. Everybody was just pulling into the end of the ride. One of the kids won a car! Nevedr had that happen before. What a thrill. Group decision was to head to DCA.
    3:05pm: Arrival at DCA. Group decision was to eat. I head over to Soarin' for FPs. FP Start time 7:55pm! Looks like we are in for a late one.
    3:35pm: We all complete a great meal at Test Pilots. Group decision was to get wet! So GRR we go.
    4:00pm: A very soaked group of ten exit GRR with lots of smiles. My wife won the contest for "most wet". No prize given. Sorry Hon'. As host, recommend "It's Tough To Be A Bug". A good time to sit in air conditioning and dry off. Off we go.
    4:40pm: Everybody thoroughly entertained by "It's Tough To Be A Bug". Rave reviews from these first timers. Group decision was to go to ToT.
    4:45pm: Block Party Parade started. The kids seemed very into it so we decided to stick it out. Seeing the kids get into it made it more enjoyable.
    5:15pm: Arrival at ToT. I was nervous about this one because the FPs "expired" at 11:30am. Almost SIX hours ago! Still no problem. We again breezed right on ToT bypassing 30 to 40 mins of line standing.
    5:30pm: Exit ToT. Everybody loved ToT. The "what is going to happen next factor" really gets first timers. This energized everybody for more.
    5:45pm: Spontaneous stop at Muppet 3D Show. Since "It's Tough To Be A Bug" was such a hit I thought maybe this would be too.
    6:10pm: Muppets got a luke warm response but still good. Personally, The pre-show is funnier than the actual show, but that's me. Group decision was to split up. Four of us were desperate to go on Screamin' the six others wanted to shop a bit and look around.
    6:35pm: The brave four arrive at Screamin'. Again, we breeze right on the ride.
    6:50pm: We exit Screamin' with big smiles. It also occurs to us that we have enough FPs to do it again! We get right back on. We ask for the front car.
    7:05pm: We exit Screamin' again. We all agreed it was the best "thrill" of the day.
    7:20pm: Met everybody under Golden Gate Bridge. We shopped a little bit more, rehydrated and talked a bit. All while heading over to Soarin'.
    7:55pm [Sharp]: Breezed onto Soarin'.
    8:25pm: Everybody loved Soarin'. How could they not. Group decision was to head back over to Disneyland.
    8:45pm: Back at Disneyland. We picked up our pictures from the Birthday party. Everybody decided to view the fireworks show. We were able to get a center spot a little less than halfway into Main St.
    9:45pm: Fireworks show rocked. Consensus was that being it was a school night and the fact that we were all very tired that we would call it a day. I still had FP for Spalsh and Roger Rabbitt. Too bad.

Okay, a lot was achieved but a lot left to do for a second visit (soon I hope). Here is a ride recap:
    1. Buzz Lightyear Blasters
    2. Matterhorn
    3. Star Tours
    4. Haunted Mansion
    5. PoTC
    6. Indiana Jones
    7. Tarzan's Treehouse (okay this is a stretch)
    8. Autotopia
    9. GRR
    10. "It's Tough To Be A Bug"
    11. ToT
    12. Muppets 3-D
    13. Screamin'
    14. Soarin'

I think that 14 for a group of ten is pretty good. I took personal sacrifice in walking my butt off and missing a ride or two but the payoff was to experience Disneyland and DCA through the eyes of a first timer. It was a reminder of why I love the parks. And in retrospect we missed a lot too. A second trip is a must. More focus on Disneyland itself, probably. So FastPass can be a great thing but requires work to do it right. My wife and I were thinking of offering FP management as a tourist service. I think it is worth $100 a day. Any thoughts?

Anyway, Darkbeer, I owe you a dark beer at Ariel's Grotto Bar and some Lobster nachos. I'm serious. THANK YOU!

• Minion

I think the people who dont like Fastpass simply dont remember Disneyland PRE-Fastpass. If you dont remember the big open parking lot in FRONT of Disneyland, then you dont know what I am talking about

I remember waiting in like for Indiana Jones for 2 hours and 30 mins. The line extended into mainstreet. Sure, it was close to the opening day, but I have never seen Buzz Lightyear more then 25 mins. How about the wait for Rocket Rods? Another 2 hour line. Then its a 45 min line for Star Tours and a 65 min line for Space Mountian. Your day is DONE and you have 5 rides out of it!!!

Now, with fastpass, people are not waiting in 2 hour lines. The longest line I have seen since fastpass is 65 mins for Splash on a VERY hot day. The rest of the E-ticket rides were around 15-25 mins!!!! This is a HUGE differance!!!! Fastpass works. It gets people OUT of the Q, and into the park to enjoy there day.

• CM for 4 years!

I just really hate how much capacity on the rides FP takes up. On Buzz, FP is at least 75% of ride capacity. On Splash Mountain, approximately 4 of the 7 seats go to FPs. On Big Thunder, about half the train goes to FP. On ToT, an entire floor of the queue is dedicated to FP. On Indy, FP is about 65% of capacity.

I would like to see the park run for a week maybe without FP now, just to see what happens. Maybe even just a day or two. I just feel like it would bring the queues DOWN rather than up.

I was at the park today, and the lines for Splash were at 80 minutes, Big Thunder 45 minutes, Autopia 60 minutes, Indy 55 minutes, Pirates 25 minutes, Haunted Mansion 13 minutes, and the list goes on....

Honestly, when I saw Pirates go from FP to Non FP again, I saw the line length DROP, not raise.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Sock Puppet

All that is required to explain FastPass and here is my reaction:

FastPass sucks.

I don't hate it for creating a multi-class system (paid enhanced option) in Disneyland . I'm all for premium services. What I hate it for is what it has done to Disneyland. FastPass in its current form cheats everyone. Long gone are reasonable wait times for many attractions. Now you either have a FastPass or must resort to a stand-by line that is three to five times longer than it would've been without FastPass.

To the person who wants it for Matterhorn? Are you sure? Matterhorn has a reasonable wait 30 minutes average even on the busiest days. With FastPass that stand-by line would surge to an hour or longer with no problem.

Unfortunately, with FastPass I get to experience fewer attractions than I did in the past, unless I am willing to be at the park from open to close. One thing would improve FastPass: Limit the operating hours of the system (10 a.m. to 7 p.m. when the park is open 8 a.m. to Midnight). Traditional lines before and after FastPass hours would prevail. That is fair for guests who arrive early and those who arrive late.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    I just really hate how much capacity on the rides FP takes up. On Buzz, FP is at least 75% of ride capacity. On Splash Mountain, approximately 4 of the 7 seats go to FPs. On Big Thunder, about half the train goes to FP. On ToT, an entire floor of the queue is dedicated to FP. On Indy, FP is about 65% of capacity.

I would like to see the park run for a week maybe without FP now, just to see what happens. Maybe even just a day or two. I just feel like it would bring the queues DOWN rather than up.

I was at the park today, and the lines for Splash were at 80 minutes, Big Thunder 45 minutes, Autopia 60 minutes, Indy 55 minutes, Pirates 25 minutes, Haunted Mansion 13 minutes, and the list goes on....

Honestly, when I saw Pirates go from FP to Non FP again, I saw the line length DROP, not raise.
    I hear you. Long gone are the days when Big Thunder's line averaged 20 minutes and on a really, really, really busy day (a day we shouldn't be there) it might hit 35-40 minutes. Long gone are a reasonable afternoon wait for Splash Mountain. If you don't have a FastPass for Splash on a warm summer day in the afternoon you should just forget it. The stand-by line will require you to invest a sizeable portion of your day (2 hours plus) in line for one stinkin' ride. Indiana Jones is the same thing. The line with switchbacks in the hub (yes, the hub) was only 75 minutes prior to FastPass! The entire Indy queue without FastPass is roughly 45 minutes and it moves, with lots to see. Long gone are multiple re-rides on Space Mountain.

What else does FastPass cheat Disneyland guests out of? The many well designed queues. Indiana Jones and Roger Rabbit are two examples.

Also, guests are cheated out of waiting in a line that moved at a pace just fast enough to keep you from getting frustrated . I get angry when I stand in a stand-by line today where before Disneyland lines were tolerable and great by theme park standards.

FastPass needs to go away or have its operations limited.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    I think the people who dont like Fastpass simply dont remember Disneyland PRE-Fastpass. If you dont remember the big open parking lot in FRONT of Disneyland, then you dont know what I am talking about

I remember waiting in like for Indiana Jones for 2 hours and 30 mins. The line extended into mainstreet. Sure, it was close to the opening day, but I have never seen Buzz Lightyear more then 25 mins. How about the wait for Rocket Rods? Another 2 hour line. Then its a 45 min line for Star Tours and a 65 min line for Space Mountian. Your day is DONE and you have 5 rides out of it!!!

Now, with fastpass, people are not waiting in 2 hour lines. The longest line I have seen since fastpass is 65 mins for Splash on a VERY hot day. The rest of the E-ticket rides were around 15-25 mins!!!! This is a HUGE differance!!!! Fastpass works. It gets people OUT of the Q, and into the park to enjoy there day.
    I have been an Annual Passholder for 16 years now. I remember Disneyland pre-Fastpass days very well and yes I remember the parking lot in front of the park.

When are you visiting Disneyland as your statement above is not very consistent with what is going on today. (Referring to Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear)

I remember the two hour line for Rocket Rods due to being an attraction that failed to every operate on a consistent basis and due to a very poor capacity. Yet, I have never seen Indiana Jones (pre-FastPass) longer than 90 minutes. It was 75 minutes from the Hub winding through Adventureland and the entire Indy queue. I was there on opening day and for many of the soft-openings as well.

The lines after FastPass are longer. I have yet to visit when Buzz Lightyear is less than 45 minutes for stand-by. True, you get to skip a line or two with FastPass, but you spend more time waiting in stand-by lines which erases any of the savings you gain from FastPass.

• CM for 4 years!

I tried once to wait in the standby line for Buzz. While the posted sign said 25 minutes, it took easy 45. Because for every four stand-by line guests, the CM let 20 FP guests pass!

I really want FP OUT..

And cfparkmanager, are you really a Cedar Fair park manager? If so, let's have coffee somewhere nice. I'd like to civilly talk with you about Knott's Berry Farm.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• CM for 4 years!

Sorry to make another post, but I have a direct example of the damage FP causes on attractions, even in DCA.

Talked to a CM outside Soarin' Over California fifteen minutes before park close. The wait was 60 minutes. Asked the CM what the actual length was. He replied,

"Right now, it is about 60 minutes. But at 8 o clock, when the park closes, we will stop accepting FastPasses, and the line will begint o move more quickly again."

Paying close attention to the line, I saw our group moving much more through the queue, and I can't imagine that without FastPass, the lines would ever extend for this attraction to more than 40 minutes.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• No Longer The Candidate

I too remember the parking lot but I don't ever remember reasonable waits for Splash Mountain during the summer. I love Fast Pass, even though I have never had the opportunity to use it while knowing the insider tips that are presented here. That being said, I think it was silly to add it to Roger Rabbit. For that ride, the queue sets up the story for the ride. I also think that it works better in DL than California Adventures because it is easier to hop on neighboring rides that do not have FastPass while waiting for your ride time. I also don't think that it is going to go away or changed radically because Disney's surveys showed that guest spending went up because of the system. It seems that people like to shop and eat while waiting for their FastPass time to come up.

• My Children's Father

I like FP and think I am able to work the system to increase the number of rides I can hit in a day. However, it does make sense that the non-FP attractions would be more crowded, and that the stand-by line for any FP ride would move more quickly after the FPs were no longer accepted at the end of the operating day.

Although I admire DJLCB's cunning and willingful sacrifice, I don't know that I would be as willing to sacrifice my day to be a "runner" ...... but I might be willing to do it while the infrequent visitors in my party are doing the attractions that I would just as soon miss (HISTA, watching the parade, etc.)
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

The main thing to note, if you're confused, is that there is no EXPIRY time on the fast pass: asl long as you come back AFTER the window OPENS., you can

1) come back any time thereafter
    2) Get another fast pass as soon as the window OPENS, wether you've ridden or not. (You MAY get another one even sooner if your ticket says so (ala the 2 hour rule in the first post).

BEaring only this in mind, you can have a SUPERB day at Disneyland.

Knowing only the above (and the stand alone's at teh time were Star Tours and Pirates, but that has changed now), we rode a LOT of rides on an extremely busy day.

I shudder to think how miserable our day would have been without the fastpasses, and without knowing the 2 simple things above (which most people do NOT know).

• Long live the Fire Lord

That's the biggest problem with Fastpass. They don't limit you to that one hour window, it's more like a guideline. So the later it gets, the longer lines get, because they are letting people use Fastpasses from 6 hours ago.

• When Will It Return?

Does anyone else notice that those who don't like FastPass don't use it and those who do like FastPass actually use it? I'm talking about primarily using it here. It's an amazing trend...

-- Peoplemover "DJLCB - BEST FP USE EVER!! " Matt

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Long live the Fire Lord

Wait, isn't that just commen sense? Like, people that like garlic eat it, and people that don't like garlic don't eat it.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• No Longer The Candidate

I think that the point was that the people who don't like it don't use it and then complain that it makes the standby line longer.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345122752 ... LastLast