Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456132853 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 834
  1. #31

    • Long live the Fire Lord
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    291
    Ohhh :o I got it now.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

  2. #32

    • All you need is LOVE
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dland USA
    Posts
    9,141
    Thanks


  3. #33

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Perhaps it's just because I go to the park about once a month, but it's been a very long time since I've been to Disneyland without being able to ride everything (except some of the fantasyland rides), do most big things twice, see the parade, fireworks, and fantasmic (when all were showing), and still not feel like we rushed through the day. This would be totally impossible without Fastpass. The only time this year (and I'm verging on my ninth or tenth go-round with my current AP, each of these being full-day trips) I've had to wait longer than 30 minutes in line was the second time we rode Space Mountain on its first preview day. (The first time we were in the handicapped line with a friend.)

    I think that PotC's wait decreasing doesn't have so much to do with getting rid of Fastpass as it does adding boats. They've greatly increased the capacity of the ride, but consequently it also backs way up inside. (I've sat for a full ten minutes in the last room, waiting to go up.) For a counterexample, look at Haunted Mansion: I don't think I ever saw its line over 20 minutes before they took down Fastpass, and now it's regularly 30-45 unless you catch it at the right time.

    My biggest complaint about Fastpass is how quickly they go on some of the rides. If you don't get to Splash before noon, you won't get a Fastpass for the day because they'll be totally gone. Last Friday, we went to Indy at 2pm to get passes which turned out to be for 8pm, well after my friend's parents had to leave, meaning they didn't get to ride. (Of course, that meant that we had two pairs of Fastpasses, so we could go twice in a row, for a grand total of less than 30 minutes between getting in line the first time and getting off the second. ) But that's only a problem for the big rides.

    The secret to doing everything at Disneyland is really in the timing, and Fastpass helps with that, but it's not everything. I mean, if you go to PotC or HM at the very end of the day (11:30 or later), your wait is only as long as it takes to walk through the queuing area and to the vehicles. Same with Fantasyland at the very beginning of the day. Going where everyone else isn't going is really the key to having a relaxing Disney experience, and that destination is often the Fastpass machines.

    As for putting Fastpass on Matterhorn, I'd like to see it, but it'll never happen. Matterhorn is the only ride that doesn't have its queue mostly in the show building, where everyone's joining the line at the same point. The end of the line could be anywhere around the mountain at any given time during the day, and there's nowhere to put the machines where they wouldn't be in the way. (Remember, this is a ride where half the line has to be closed so the parade can get by.) Matterhorn moves very quickly anyway (from Ariel's grotto to the front of the Tomorrowland side is 15, maybe 20 minutes), so it's not really necessary.

    Wow, I talked a lot.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  4. #34

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    I remember waiting in like for Indiana Jones for 2 hours and 30 mins. The line extended into mainstreet.
    And now you're still waiting! Stand-by queues are as long as they ever were for rides with FastPass, thanks to the standby folks having to sit by as people cut in line and take the next car.

    And rides that don't have FastPass have longer lines, too, because FastPass people waiting for their time window are waiting in those lines instead of waiting in the line for their FP ride.

    As a result, lines all over the ENTIRE park are going up!

    FastPass is a marketing attempt to make people happy but you don't get something for nothing and the entire park experience drags because nobody thought it through or figured that it didn't matter that they were making all lines worse!

    Your "pre-fastpass disneyland" schedule is a little messed up in that you only went on the big thrilling E-ticket rides. Back in the day, most of us would also stop at some Fantasyland dark rides, Peoplemover, subs, that kind of thing, that had a much shorter line.

    If the subs existed today, their line would be unbearably long thanks to all the Space Mountain Fastpass-ers standing in the Subs line instead of Space.

  5. #35

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Your "pre-fastpass disneyland" schedule is a little messed up in that you only went on the big thrilling E-ticket rides. Back in the day, most of us would also stop at some Fantasyland dark rides, Peoplemover, subs, that kind of thing, that had a much shorter line.

    If the subs existed today, their line would be unbearably long thanks to all the Space Mountain Fastpass-ers standing in the Subs line instead of Space.
    In other words, Fastpass makes it possible to do everything in one day, rather than being forced to choose between attractions because you're spending your whole day in line for the big stuff. There was so much stuff that I didn't get to do when I was younger because of huge lines (and Fantasyland dark rides always featured a 30-60 minute wait, as far back as I can remember). Now there's so much more cool stuff I've discovered about the park because, thanks to Fastpass, we can move at a leisurely pace, wait no more than 30 minutes for any one ride, go hang out at Downtown Disney for a while, and still find that we've ridden and done everything once (sometimes twice) and still have an hour or two until close to go exploring. It makes for a remarkably satsifying day.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  6. #36

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    In other words, Fastpass makes it possible to do everything in one day, rather than being forced to choose between attractions because you're spending your whole day in line for the big stuff.
    But that's not true. Look, you aren't seeing things clearly:

    It used to be that the Mountain Range and another thrill ride of the times (Star Tours for the 80s, Indy for the 90s) had a big line. To ride these attractions, you'd wait around in a longer line.

    The smaller rides, like the Peoplemover or the Teacups or Mr. Toad or the Canoes or Autopia, had a shorter line. They weren't quite the sight, sound, or experience of the above rides, but you could get on them a lot faster.

    Nowadays, waiting in line for both types of rides is longer than it used to be. The Space Mountain line doesn't stretch out as far as it used to because there's less people standing there, but it actually takes LONGER to get through because so many seats are being held for people who just walk up and ride. Without Fastpass, these lines would be longer, but move much faster. This was proven as a fact when they removed Fastpass from Pirates and everyone saw how much smoother everything ran.

    At the same time, the people with the FastPass for Space Mountain don't just disappear until it's their time to ride. They go ride the likes of the lower-tier rides like Autopia or Teacups. These lines now have larger lines than they used to, because their lines are filled with people who used to be standing in other lines.

    EVERY RIDE, big and small, has longer wait times now. See what I mean?

    The only bonus about FastPass is that people can work the system. They can work the system and ride more mountain rides in a day than if they had to wait in line for every single one. They can use multiple admissions, perhaps their AP and a friend's, or maybe they know some trick like networked and non-networked machines.

    And while we're on that subject, how in the heck do you expect some out of towners and tourists from far-off parts of the country to know about the details of Fastpass and things like networked machines? They don't. And if everyone knew these things, everyone would abuse them to the point that they would either break or not provide any kind of an advantage anymore. The only reasons these "secrets" work are because they are kept inside the Disneyana/Internet community.

    Of course, if you admit that Fastpass boosts wait times and gives in-the-know locals an advantage, you sometimes have to duel with the people who cover their ears and insist it's not true or say it's all right because they get something.

    Kevin Yee was right. We have met the enemy, and he is us.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 07-08-2005 at 09:21 PM.

  7. #37

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    The decreased wait times on Pirates might have something to do with removing Fastpass, but I think it has more to do with the fact that they've added a ton of boats to the ride. It used to be hugely stretched out, with at least a length and a half or two lengths between you and the next boat. Now there's barely two feet, and the congestion happens inside the ride. I've waited nearly ten minutes in the last room waiting to go up, and seen a dozen other boats down there. I'm sure most people would prefer clogging up inside to clogging up in the line, because it's seated and cool, but it always annoys me because that's my least favorite section of the ride, and sitting there watching the boats get pulled up the slope sort of kills the ambience.

    For a more accurate comparison of wait times on a ride that removed Fastpass, look at a fixed capacity ride like Haunted Mansion. As far as I can tell, the only change since removing the service is to make the waits very slightly longer.

    And as for secret networked information and stuff, I've never used that. It usually boils down to luck, timing, common sense, and experience. You observe where everyone else is going and go somewhere else. It doesn't always work (I remember thinking that Fantasyland would certainly empty out after the fireworks, then waiting 45 minutes for Peter Pan) but usually it saves a lot of hassle.


    People who are in-the-know will always have the advantage, which is why I got sold out of the first three Serenity screenings and had to resort to a scalper. It's practically in the definition of being in-the-know. I wouldn't argue that they're always local, though. I've been doing Disneyland efficiently for years, and I've barely lived in California for eleven months. It's very easy to become informed about the best techniques for avoiding hassle and maximizing your park experience, since there are numerous resources available to anyone with an Internet connection, and they're not exactly hiding. Any responsible traveler will find out what they're getting into before they go anywhere, whether it's Disneyland or Dakar.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  8. #38

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    As I reread the last posts, a quick addendum: there's a difference between working the system (circumventing the limitations that prevent someone from acquiring too many passes at once) and using the system (actually getting a pass). The first I heard of Fastpass wasn't online or through an insider service, it was when my brother read us the description of the service from his map as we were walking up Main Street, and we figured it would be a smart idea. Fastpass isn't some secret thing where you have to be a blood relation of one of the original designers to take advantage; it's a very prominently featured service, and anyone remotely observant can see that it holds advantages for them.

    I'm not saying that it doesn't have implications for standby lines, because it does. But the people waiting standby chose to ride that way rather than using Fastpass.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  9. #39

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    there should be a petition to end fastpasses...
    oh...i have an idea!
    someone start an online one
    (I'm not sure if there already is one...)

  10. #40

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    93

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    As I reread the last posts, a quick addendum: there's a difference between working the system (circumventing the limitations that prevent someone from acquiring too many passes at once) and using the system (actually getting a pass). The first I heard of Fastpass wasn't online or through an insider service, it was when my brother read us the description of the service from his map as we were walking up Main Street, and we figured it would be a smart idea. Fastpass isn't some secret thing where you have to be a blood relation of one of the original designers to take advantage; it's a very prominently featured service, and anyone remotely observant can see that it holds advantages for them.

    I'm not saying that it doesn't have implications for standby lines, because it does. But the people waiting standby chose to ride that way rather than using Fastpass.
    NO OF COURSE Fastpass is not a secret, but the passes clearly lead you to believe you have a WINDOW you have to stick to. You do not: you have a "start time" and then it's open ended. And knowing this opens up a whole new ball game to using them, acquiring multiple passes at the same time, and on busy days literally SAVING your experience and your guest's experience of getting on rides in Disneyland.

    Everyone I tell in person about the "window" not having a "closing time" looks at me in disbelief, barely brave enough to try it. I take guests fro overseas to DL and we can't wait for a non-busy day most of the times: Fastpass and the full use of it (obtaining as many as possible at any given time) really helps BIG time.

    BUT I also understand the points being made about the bigger picture.

  11. #41

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Note:

    I just edited the guide to reflect the fact that Disney has once again turned on the Star Tours machines.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  12. #42

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    OK, I am at the Resort right now, and the machines are once again turned off at Star Tours.... and based on what I have been told, they will remain off...

    But if you have already got a Space Mountain or BLAB FP, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if they are open, since I presume they would be non-networked if available....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  13. #43

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Buzz and Indy are most definitely networked. No idea about Space.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  14. #44

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    There are only two "Independent" Attractions at present, Roger Rabbit CarToon Spin, and Grizzly River Run. If Star Tours is turned on again (and I doubt it), then it would more than likely be independent.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  15. #45

    • Resident Neuroscientist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    OK, I am at the Resort right now, and the machines are once again turned off at Star Tours.... and based on what I have been told, they will remain off...

    But if you have already got a Space Mountain or BLAB FP, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if they are open, since I presume they would be non-networked if available....
    So they were only on for a few days? That's pretty sad...they might as well keep them on until the summer crowds leave in another month.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!


Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456132853 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. EPCOT Fastpass Question - When to get Sorin' Fastpass
    By Doopey1 in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
  2. Fastpass & VIP Fastpass Confusion
    By GUYNYC in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 03:46 AM
  3. Joys of fast pass details news and secrets
    By sunshinetigerlily in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •