Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2274249505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 766 to 780 of 834
  1. #766

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    ^But the program is optional and the return times are clearly posted before you get your ticket, so if your using the system, you should be willing to agree to the terms of the agreement, expecially since you are very informed beforehand.
    Yes, just like reservations at a restaurant are optional. That the windows are "clearly posted" is a bit misleading. You have to walk all the way there to see the FP windows. It is clearly posted if you are at the ride. It is not clearly posted if you are at a thousand other different locations at the parks.

    Again, it is like calling the restaurant for a reservation and being forced to wait 10 minutes on hold to make the reservation, and then not being allowed to choose the time you want but being given whatever time they assign you. And that time may conflict with other things you already have scheduled.

  2. #767

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyrand1 View Post
    So has anyone considered the LACK of wait in the stand by line by those that do not choose/forgot to use their pass in the posted time window?

    All I really hear in argument against not using it in the window is it costs others time in the stand by line later. What about the time it doesn't cost riders during the window?

    I typically use my pass within the window. Sometimes with trying to entertain kids, get everyone fed, yadda, yadda, yadda it doesn't work out that way. I don't begrudge people in the fast pass line when I'm in stand-by regardless of WHEN their ticket says to return. I think the whole issue is petty really. The majority of people that use it are using it properly. The whine-fest about return times seems to be a little over the top to me, but whatever.
    The difference being that the system can schedule the FP system properly if everyone is returning at the right times, but cannot when people are coming whenever. It jostles the system and creates rushes which far outweigh the benifit of any slower time.

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    Yes, just like reservations at a restaurant are optional. That the windows are "clearly posted" is a bit misleading. You have to walk all the way there to see the FP windows. It is clearly posted if you are at the ride. It is not clearly posted if you are at a thousand other different locations at the parks.

    Again, it is like calling the restaurant for a reservation and being forced to wait 10 minutes on hold to make the reservation, and then not being allowed to choose the time you want but being given whatever time they assign you. And that time may conflict with other things you already have scheduled.
    Yes, it is slightly different, but that in no way means that you should be entitled to return whenever you want... Again, if you get the ticket, you should be willing to follow the terms of the agreement.

    Also, phone programs are available to tell you the return time, so you really can know anywhere.

  3. #768

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Yes, it is slightly different, but that in no way means that you should be entitled to return whenever you want... Again, if you get the ticket, you should be willing to follow the terms of the agreement.

    Also, phone programs are available to tell you the return time, so you really can know anywhere.
    You must be responding to someone else because I did not say one should be "entitled" to anything. I said the strict enforcement would be easier for guests to accept if obtaining FPs was more flexible. Here is a quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    The idea of strict FP enforcement has some merit, but would work much better and with less guest alienation if:

    1. Guests could choose their own FP windows

    2. Guests could get all FPs from a central location without having to walk around to each attraction to see the FP window before deciding to get the FP (AK at WDW has been experimenting with this I have heard)
    Further, I said that there are a host of factors at a theme park that can make it difficult to make it back within the window. Disney has realized this and made a business decision to accept FPs after the window. Personally I think it is the right decision from a customer relations standpoint for all the reasons listed by simba.

  4. #769

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    You must be responding to someone else because I did not say one should be "entitled" to anything. I said the strict enforcement would be easier for guests to accept if obtaining FPs was more flexible. Here is a quote:



    Further, I said that there are a host of factors at a theme park that can make it difficult to make it back within the window. Disney has realized this and made a business decision to accept FPs after the window. Personally I think it is the right decision from a customer relations standpoint for all the reasons listed by simba.
    I was responding directly to your text and what you said, not the other quote you gave.

  5. #770

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    34

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    TrevorD,


    When traveling around the parks with kids in tow, sometimes with my sister's family and her kids too, fastpass is essential to the family enjoyment.

    I like to go on the big rides. Most of the adults in the group do to. Some of the kids dont. Can I say "OK wife and kids, see you in an hour, I have to go wait in line for Space or whatever" Can't do that. I'd become very unpopular with the wife and kids. With FP, I can go on that ride, because it takes ten minutes and I can be back with the family. Now imagine I get a fastpass for something for 2 hours later. Family wants to see something else, or go to the other park for a while.

    So to use my FP within the hour window I now have some options:

    - dash across the park to use this FP before it expires
    or
    -make the rest of the crowd wait in that part of the park or go back to that part of the park so I can get in on this 'window'
    or
    -give up because the window expired
    or (best plan yet)
    - use it whenever I wander back to that part of the park, because (by the current policy) fastpasses don't really expire until closing.

    No sir, I dont think this is unfair, or that anything should change. I do like the current policy. It allows me and my family to wander where we want and when we want, and allows the adults the chance to go on some rides without spending the hours in line away from the kids. If I hold a 11 am fastpass for Indy, and we dont get back that way until 6 pm, I still can get on indy while the kids go thru the treehouse. And we are all happier for it.

    May it never change.

    cheers
    frodo

  6. #771

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    The difference being that the system can schedule the FP system properly if everyone is returning at the right times, but cannot when people are coming whenever. It jostles the system and creates rushes which far outweigh the benifit of any slower time.
    No it doesn't. Even during "rushes" the FP holders have already waited for a lot longer than anyone in the stand-by queue, just not in a queue, and the time spent waiting in any FP queue, in any rush, is still a LOT less than wait times used to be before FastPass was implemented.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD
    Yes, it is slightly different, but that in no way means that you should be entitled to return whenever you want... Again, if you get the ticket, you should be willing to follow the terms of the agreement.

    Also, phone programs are available to tell you the return time, so you really can know anywhere.
    I haven't met anyone who's unwilling to follow the terms of the "agreement" if you can call it that. Most people miss the window due to unforseen circumstances, or a mental blunder of their own because they aren't checking their watch every few minutes to make sure they're hitting every FP window on time, assuming they have a watch. Turning a family around because of an "invalid FP" (because the hour window already passed) could ruin their entire vacation, and cause them to never come back to Disney. It's not exactly in Disney's best interest to create that situation when they don't have to.

    Also, not everyone has cell phones that have those programs on them. Those that do may not want to bring those expensive phones into a theme park where anything could happen to it. So no, it's not like anyone can know anywhere. The vast majority of people only learn when the window time is by reading the board at the attraction's entrance.

    Giving guests a choice of what window they want isn't a good option. Not only would that require a serious cost in terms of implementing user interface technology at every FP machine, but it would require far more planning & decision-making than just about any guest would want to accept. I love having the ability to return when/if I want to when I obtain a FP. It's really the best system that there could be.

    I may never understand the logic behind trying to ride headliner attractions during prime time hours, and then complaining about the wait time when there are options available. It's a little like taking major freeways during rush hour, and complaining about traffic. Did you have to take that freeway, and only that freeway, at that time, and only that time? No, you didn't. Make a better choice next time if you didn't like how that choice turned out.

    EDIT: And just for kicks, the anti-FP crowd also hates Carpool Lanes just as badly as they hate FP & never use those Carpool Lanes right? Carpool Lanes, as we know, make traffic jams worse by taking space that anyone could use away, and restricting it to cars with 2+ passengers only. So a few who know the system benefit at the expense of everyone else. Sound familiar? I really hope there isn't anyone out there who totally hates & rejects FP, but uses that Carpool exit off the I-5 to get to Disneyland. That'd be a pretty funny dichotomy of thought.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  7. #772

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Families enjoyed Disneyland before FP, so I think that without it fun could possibly be had again.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    No it doesn't. Even during "rushes" the FP holders have already waited for a lot longer than anyone in the stand-by queue, just not in a queue, and the time spent waiting in any FP queue, in any rush, is still a LOT less than wait times used to be before FastPass was implemented.



    I haven't met anyone who's unwilling to follow the terms of the "agreement" if you can call it that. Most people miss the window due to unforeseen circumstances, or a mental blunder of their own because they aren't checking their watch every few minutes to make sure they're hitting every FP window on time, assuming they have a watch. Turning a family around because of an "invalid FP" (because the hour window already passed) could ruin their entire vacation, and cause them to never come back to Disney. It's not exactly in Disney's best interest to create that situation when they don't have to.

    Also, not everyone has cell phones that have those programs on them. Those that do may not want to bring those expensive phones into a theme park where anything could happen to it. So no, it's not like anyone can know anywhere. The vast majority of people only learn when the window time is by reading the board at the attraction's entrance.

    Giving guests a choice of what window they want isn't a good option. Not only would that require a serious cost in terms of implementing user interface technology at every FP machine, but it would require far more planning & decision-making than just about any guest would want to accept. I love having the ability to return when/if I want to when I obtain a FP. It's really the best system that there could be.

    I may never understand the logic behind trying to ride headliner attractions during prime time hours, and then complaining about the wait time when there are options available. It's a little like taking major freeways during rush hour, and complaining about traffic. Did you have to take that freeway, and only that freeway, at that time, and only that time? No, you didn't. Make a better choice next time if you didn't like how that choice turned out.

    EDIT: And just for kicks, the anti-FP crowd also hates Carpool Lanes just as badly as they hate FP & never use those Carpool Lanes right? Carpool Lanes, as we know, make traffic jams worse by taking space that anyone could use away, and restricting it to cars with 2+ passengers only. So a few who know the system benefit at the expense of everyone else. Sound familiar? I really hope there isn't anyone out there who totally hates & rejects FP, but uses that Carpool exit off the I-5 to get to Disneyland. That'd be a pretty funny dichotomy of thought.
    Their waits have been long, but they have not been wasted stuck in a line. That is a different story completely. No one is complaining about having to come back later, but people stuck moving a foot every 15 minutes are. Also, the statement that wait times are shorter is not true. You just said yourself that the FP people have been waiting longer, so just because they have hidden that waittime doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Average the average FP wait time and the standby wait time and you will see that the waits are the same as before. Like I said previously, the rides are talking the same amount of people as they did before FP because capacities haven't changed, so if there are the same number of people in the park, they are waiting the same time to get on a ride on average.

    Back to restricting, it is an agreement. It has conditions, regulations and fine print so the person holding the ticket has agreed by acquiring said ticket that they will follow those rules. For that reason, they should be willing to say dang, we missed it. Yes, that would suck, but again, just like everything else, if you miss it you miss it. People seem to get to the parades, fireworks and other shows on time to enjoy them, so why is a FP window any different? I don't know of any other thing but FP where a "mental blunder" doesn't stop someone from taking advantage of an added service (free or not). They have the choice to get the FP or try another ride with a better return time (or the same ride later) and FP is a perk, not a right, so a cut off is not so crazy.



    As for the carpool lanes, that is a different story. They do infact make congestion worse but in the hopes of maybe convincing people to carpool and save the earth from unneeded pollution. In that case, it is better to cause traffic in order to stoke change. FP is different. Sure, you could say that the Standby line should smarten up and use FP but imagine how fast they would be out in the morning if everyone did.. Then, everyone suffers through crappy standby lines all day while they wait till the one FP they managed to get five minutes after park opening comes up at 8 that evening. Different entirely.

  8. #773

    • Escaped Pirate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    19

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    I used to feel rushed trying to get through the park in one day so my solution to this was to go for two days! That eventually led to going for 5 days but hey, I get to relax and enjoy everything. My wife and I usually just walk around taking the atmosphere and going on rides that have short lines. For the "Must Ride" rides, we use FP.

  9. #774

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    I was responding directly to your text and what you said, not the other quote you gave.
    OK then. I never called it anything like entitlement. I called it a reservation. Your use of the word "entitlement" in response to me did not follow from what I wrote. Please don't say I said something I did not say and then argue against a straw man.

  10. #775

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Back to restricting, it is an agreement. It has conditions, regulations and fine print so the person holding the ticket has agreed by acquiring said ticket that they will follow those rules. For that reason, they should be willing to say dang, we missed it. Yes, that would suck, but again, just like everything else, if you miss it you miss it.
    Attitudes like the above is what defines poor customer service. The big picture is Disney wants to make people happy and keep them coming back to the parks to spend money. The little picture is they have fine print on a FP ticket. Some people get so ticked off at companies focusing on the little picture that they take their business elsewhere.

    Not sure if you own a business now or will in the future, but if so you should implement whatever customer service policy you want. I own two international businesses and we strive to be very accomodating of our customers mistakes. It makes good business sense in the big picture even if it may not in the little picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    People seem to get to the parades, fireworks and other shows on time to enjoy them, so why is a FP window any different? I don't know of any other thing but FP where a "mental blunder" doesn't stop someone from taking advantage of an added service (free or not). They have the choice to get the FP or try another ride with a better return time (or the same ride later) and FP is a perk, not a right, so a cut off is not so crazy.
    It is different because before I even I arrive at the park I:

    A. already know from the Disney website when all the parades, fireworks, and other shows will happen

    B. get a Times Guide that lists the show times when I enter the parks

    In contrast, I do not know the return windows for any FP rides before I arrive at DLR or even while I in the parks (unless I am at the ride). You might say that I do know the FP window at park opening as they will start 40 minutes after I get the FP. But that is only true if the ride is open at park opening. Numerous times I have hoofed it over to Space Mtn at park opening to get FPs and the ride is down or the FP machines are down, and then I have to hoof it over to Indy to get FPs there. All while my kids are waiting to do Fantasyland.

    If I could know the FP windows before entering the park then your argument would have merit.

  11. #776

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Giving guests a choice of what window they want isn't a good option. Not only would that require a serious cost in terms of implementing user interface technology at every FP machine, but it would require far more planning & decision-making than just about any guest would want to accept. I love having the ability to return when/if I want to when I obtain a FP. It's really the best system that there could be.
    I agree, and was not making a serious suggestion. I was merely pointing out a possible basis for making the strict FP window enforcement more palatable for guests. I think Disney has it right in the current form.

  12. #777

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    OK then. I never called it anything like entitlement. I called it a reservation. Your use of the word "entitlement" in response to me did not follow from what I wrote. Please don't say I said something I did not say and then argue against a straw man.
    What I meant by entitlement is that your logic follows the fact that because people might get to busy, they should be entitled to come back whenever they want. The use of that word is not as outlandish as you seem to think.

    All I wished to state was that yes, there is a chance that people will miss their return window but the system is indeed optional and a perk (not an entitlement).. For this reason if you are using the system, you should be willing to make it fit into your day as the benefit of doing so is very clear. One thing I haven't really said yet is that maybe a larger window would be better in order to accommodate people who "get stuck behind a parade" or forget they have a watch during dinner. No more than an hour though.

  13. #778

    • Clean Cup! Move Down!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    363

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    TrevorD,


    When traveling around the parks with kids in tow, sometimes with my sister's family and her kids too, fastpass is essential to the family enjoyment.

    I like to go on the big rides. Most of the adults in the group do to. Some of the kids dont. Can I say "OK wife and kids, see you in an hour, I have to go wait in line for Space or whatever" Can't do that. I'd become very unpopular with the wife and kids. With FP, I can go on that ride, because it takes ten minutes and I can be back with the family. Now imagine I get a fastpass for something for 2 hours later. Family wants to see something else, or go to the other park for a while.

    So to use my FP within the hour window I now have some options:

    - dash across the park to use this FP before it expires
    or
    -make the rest of the crowd wait in that part of the park or go back to that part of the park so I can get in on this 'window'
    or
    -give up because the window expired
    or (best plan yet)
    - use it whenever I wander back to that part of the park, because (by the current policy) fastpasses don't really expire until closing.

    No sir, I dont think this is unfair, or that anything should change. I do like the current policy. It allows me and my family to wander where we want and when we want, and allows the adults the chance to go on some rides without spending the hours in line away from the kids. If I hold a 11 am fastpass for Indy, and we dont get back that way until 6 pm, I still can get on indy while the kids go thru the treehouse. And we are all happier for it.

    May it never change.

    cheers
    frodo
    May it never change, indeed!!

  14. #779

    • A Pirate's Life For Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    504

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    What I meant by entitlement is that your logic follows the fact that because people might get to busy, they should be entitled to come back whenever they want. The use of that word is not as outlandish as you seem to think.
    Please enlighten me. Below is the post which you claim leads "logically" to "entitlement".

    I am starting to think you define "entitlement" as merely the expectation that a supplier will try to make you feel good about doing business with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
    Yes, just like reservations at a restaurant are optional. That the windows are "clearly posted" is a bit misleading. You have to walk all the way there to see the FP windows. It is clearly posted if you are at the ride. It is not clearly posted if you are at a thousand other different locations at the parks.

    Again, it is like calling the restaurant for a reservation and being forced to wait 10 minutes on hold to make the reservation, and then not being allowed to choose the time you want but being given whatever time they assign you. And that time may conflict with other things you already have scheduled.

  15. #780

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    34

    Re: The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

    I think you are missing the real "agreement"

    There is some stated window on the fastpass, yes, but for as long as I can recall (half dozen visits in 8 years or so -- since having kids) the policy of the resort has been to accept fastpasses after the window, and even many hours after the window. I have never had one refused.

    That is the REAL agreement, because that is what they have been practicing for years. That information and more is free and available to anyone that cares to look on the web. The real rules of how the system works (how it really actually does work in practice at the parks) are at the top of this thread.

    I'll continue to play the game that way, the way it actually works, the way the disney guys programmed it to work. Not by honoring some meaningless expiration time on the ticket.

    cheers
    frodo


Similar Threads

  1. EPCOT Fastpass Question - When to get Sorin' Fastpass
    By Doopey1 in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
  2. Fastpass & VIP Fastpass Confusion
    By GUYNYC in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 03:46 AM
  3. Joys of fast pass details news and secrets
    By sunshinetigerlily in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •