Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,605

    How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    I liked the Monster's Inc. ride pretty well, but I'd like to see it better fit into its land's overall thematic scheme - at least on the outside, if not the inside. The ride's only connection to the Hollywood theme is that it takes place in a modern city (other than "it's based on a movie," which would work for almost any new DLR ride these days). However, I don't see any other land in DL or DCA where it would fit any better.

    Even though connecting Monsters with Hollywood isn't that hard - for example, entering through the set of a Harryhausen-esque monster movie - it gets a little complicated to do anything like that without distracting from the main story. Also, the queue taking place in the Monstropolis transportation hub presents a problem, since you can't stick a transportation hub building in the middle of a movie backlot the way you can stick a cab company in the middle of Downtown Toontown.

    (I also had a joke idea, in which the queue would begin in a boardroom of Hollywood executives whom we would follow back to the monster world .)

    The only practical thing I can think of is at least creating a better facade. Something small-world-like, with animated parts, like doors that open and close.

    Anyone else have any ideas?

  2. #2

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,517

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Unfortunately, Monsters, Inc. will never fit.

    I can see the Muppets satirizing Hollywood and the rest of Los Angeles in a new version of the limousine attraction. That would be the best option for changing-out the show, in my opinion.

  3. #3

    • Eeyore smiling
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    611

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Helping out the queue line is a great idea which should be douable, not really take the ride down (divert the line temporarily into all that space) and not be that expensive, yet would really help integrate the ride better into the land. Meanwhile I disagree on not fitting, wasn't Monsters Inc a movie? Fits better then the 3-D Muppets movie.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,605

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    Meanwhile I disagree on not fitting, wasn't Monsters Inc a movie? Fits better then the 3-D Muppets movie.

    I think that's Disney's reasoning behind it, but if we go by that, any movie-based attraction from any genre could fit into HPB, which sort of eliminates the idea of creating specifically themed lands, and could create a sort of mish-mash in HPB. Imagine what it would be like if Splash Mountain, Snow White, Star Tours and Indy were all in the same land, because they're all based on movies

    Also, since the Muppet Show, the Muppets have almost always been depicted as being in the entertainment business, whereas the Monsters, Inc. monsters work in a factory. (Some argument could be made that once they change over to the "Laugh" system, they're in the entertainment business, but the ride doesn't really cover that).

  5. #5

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,517

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I think that's Disney's reasoning behind it, but if we go by that, any movie-based attraction from any genre could fit into HPB, which sort of eliminates the idea of creating specifically themed lands, and could create a sort of mish-mash in HPB. Imagine what it would be like if Splash Mountain, Snow White, Star Tours and Indy were all in the same land, because they're all based on movies

    Also, since the Muppet Show, the Muppets have almost always been depicted as being in the entertainment business, whereas the Monsters, Inc. monsters work in a factory.
    You're quite right.

    Also, one of the other problems with just saying that "Monsters, Inc." is a movie is that it is not a movie that was ever produced on a soundstage or a backlot, which are both what D.C.A. depicts.

    It's not as if the guests are entering a soundstage to watch a movie being filmed or, heaven forbid, going there to "ride-the-movies", a poorly-conceived idea that should stay in the domain of Universal Studios.

    Additionally, Pixar and its founder, Lucasfilm, intentionally divorced themselves from Hollywood and its culture a long time ago. So, if there was ever to be a Monsters, Inc. attraction in D.C.A., the thing should have been placed in an area related to "Silicon Valley" and northern California.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 03-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.

  6. #6

    • Eeyore smiling
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    611

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    You're quite right.

    Also, one of the other problems with just saying that "Monsters, Inc." is a movie is that it is not a movie that was ever produced on a soundstage or a backlot, which are both what D.C.A. depicts.

    It's not as if the guests are entering a soundstage to watch a movie being filmed or, heaven forbid, going there to "ride-the-movies", a poorly-conceived idea that should stay in the domain of Universal Studios.

    Additionally, Pixar and its founder, Lucasfilm, intentionally divorced themselves from Hollywood and its culture a long time ago. So, if there was ever to be a Monsters, Inc. attraction in D.C.A., it should have been in an area related to "Silicon Valley" and northern California.
    I had not thought of that (shame on me, wwince I live in the Silicon Valley - totally fabricated place, talk about fantasy!) Lucas has his new studios in the old Presidio in SF, talk a beautiful location with a close up view of the Golden Gate Bridge...I digress, still you are guys are right, just because it was a movie does not give it rights to that land...is it really a land?

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    still you are guys are right, just because it was a movie does not give it rights to that land...is it really a land?

    Hehe... I'd love it to be a hollywoodLAND but it's not... it's a boring backlot.

    I agree with the original post and all that followed. Monsters Inc will never fit into the backlot unless that area became a self contained Monstropolis land.

    Or..

    It still wouldn't fit but it would be far more acceptible if they actually make the exterior more realistic... and not so child coloring book looking. They can design it to be a real life transportation center in the old Hollywood days, dress it up to be from our world, but halfway through the queue, you enter a door with that familiar red light over it.

    Bam

    Cross over into THEIR world.

    No, thematically it still doesn't fit in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, but i think it would be a better visual style for the land and would probably recieve less criticism from disney's most avid park goers (me included).


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #8

    • The Ghost Poster.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Haunted mansion, of course!
    Posts
    219

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    I don't see it fitting in better with the theme. They could change it into a Monster Inc land, but where would the animation building and TOT go? They could tear down the animation building, but TOT I doubt they would even consider.

    I don't see any other place you could put Monster Inc in either.

    Unless..........

    TOT Land?

    " Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

  9. #9

    • Roar!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    209

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    They can design it to be a real life transportation center in the old Hollywood days, dress it up to be from our world, but halfway through the queue, you enter a door with that familiar red light over it.

    Bam

    Cross over into THEIR world.
    i think they should have had the premise be that you're entering a prop warehouse and there's a door with a familiar red light in there that you enter. and then have the ride as it is now.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    I had an idea I posted awhile back, it was Wizowski Pictures. After the film, Mike has found his new calling, film making. The queue is redone to look like the enterence to a studio tour with Monster parodies of classic film posters on the wall (think TTBAB) as well as props and special FX equipment. We then board our tour tram where Mikey appears on screen and begins our tour through his film studio. We see monster versions of films, a 30's style musical sequence, film noire, western, etc. We even travel through the horror section where classic horror movies are in reverse with monsters hiding from children. A third of the way into the ride, Sulley pokes his head onto the screen and asks Mike is he can talk to him for a minute. Mike tells Sulley that he is in the middle of a tour, then Sulley lets Mike know that Boo came back through the door and is somewhere inside the studio. Of course, while the exchange is occuring on the screen, we physically see Boo getting into trouble before our eyes. The rest of the ride is us trying to help Mike and Sulley find Boo before the CDA does.

    The attraction is much more original, you are not simply riding through the film. It also ties in with the land a lot more having it be a Monsters Inc take on a film studio. It will also delight because starting off, the only monster we recognize is Mike and we think that will be it, then Sulley and Boo enter and guests will be overjoyed to see the two characters again and glad to be stuck in another adventure involving them all.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,922

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    It's a heck of a lot better than Superstar Limo which was totally a Hollywood theme!!!!

  12. #12

    • ...TWO BITS!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    I'll try to be brief and not too detailed on my thoughts

    Have the "Hollywood Backlot" signs be redone as "Production Lot" or something like that.

    MONSTERS, INC. facade redone as PIXAR STUDIOS. Maybe retheme the indoor & outdoor queue like PIXAR studios. Then enter a door into the monsters world. Maybe have different doors that lead to other Pixar films.

    MUPPET*VISION 3D transformed to a RECORDING STUDIO with WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL facade(?). House MICKEY'S PHILHARMAGIC, the story is guests are invited to watch a recording session for animated features.

    MILLIONAIRE transformed to JIM HENSON COMPANY/MUPPET STUDIOS (I'm not sure if Disney is allowed to use Jim Henson). House the new MUPPET MOVIE RIDE (maybe Paramount could allow their Muppet movies to be in a Disney park... otherwise create original scenes with the AAs).

    Hollywood & Dine transformed to a new Disney live-action movies only version of THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE. Maybe call it "Vault Disney", since I was never to thrilled with TGMR name anyways... I've know exactly what scenes I'd like to put in.

    That's as far as I'll go for now

    "You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

    "With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    It's a heck of a lot better than Superstar Limo which was totally a Hollywood theme!!!!
    Actually, a thread a month or so back had many people talking about how they enjoyed the quirkiness, movement, color, and idea of Limo over the slow empty Monsters Inc.

    Monsters Inc might be a better attraction, but only in quality of the scenes, the scenes themselves were much more entertaining in Limo. Limo just had a few really bad ideas that ruined the ride, namely ABC stars.

  14. #14

    • the rum is always gone
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    319

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I'll try to be brief and not too detailed on my thoughts

    Have the "Hollywood Backlot" signs be redone as "Production Lot" or something like that.

    MONSTERS, INC. facade redone as PIXAR STUDIOS. Maybe retheme the indoor & outdoor queue like PIXAR studios. Then enter a door into the monsters world. Maybe have different doors that lead to other Pixar films.

    MUPPET*VISION 3D transformed to a RECORDING STUDIO with WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL facade(?). House MICKEY'S PHILHARMAGIC, the story is guests are invited to watch a recording session for animated features.

    MILLIONAIRE transformed to JIM HENSON COMPANY/MUPPET STUDIOS (I'm not sure if Disney is allowed to use Jim Henson). House the new MUPPET MOVIE RIDE (maybe Paramount could allow their Muppet movies to be in a Disney park... otherwise create original scenes with the AAs).

    Hollywood & Dine transformed to a new Disney live-action movies only version of THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE. Maybe call it "Vault Disney", since I was never to thrilled with TGMR name anyways... I've know exactly what scenes I'd like to put in.

    That's as far as I'll go for now
    realistically, Monster's Inc probably will never fit perfectly into the Hollywood Backlot without redoing the entire area. With filmfreak11's proposal everything would have to be re-done. I can live with having Monster's Inc not fitting in as long as new rides are added to DCA in the other lands. It would be better to have new rides than to WASTE money re-doing current operational rides.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    531

    Re: How can Monster's Inc. better fit thematically into HPB?

    Just have to say i really love how they have the person on the speaker in HPB telling the characters to go to the stages "scully report to stage 6" lol. prob shouldnt qoute as I know I got that wrong but still its cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Any news on Monster's Inc?
    By MrPotatoHead in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
  2. Monster's Inc - You Rate It
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
  3. Monster's Inc. to be Interactive?!!!!
    By DCADude in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 06:07 PM
  4. Monster's Inc?
    By addicted2disney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
  5. Monster's Inc Ride Art
    By testtrack321 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •