Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's up with the Disneyland Railroad?

I've noticed in all the photo threads that the Disneyland railroad has been down. Is everything ok? It's just yearly refurb right? They have no plans to change anything do they?

Love a lesuirely trip around the park...and the Dinosaurs.

• Banned User

Re: What's up with the Disneyland Railroad?

It was my understanding that the dinosaur's were being changed to pirates. If i'm wrong please let me know.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by dolewhipman View Post
    It was my understanding that the dinosaur's were being changed to pirates. If i'm wrong please let me know.
    HAH!

i believe it is due in part to the Nemo subs , they have construction equipment driving over the DLRR tracks daily

My Maleficent tattoo

• It's all nonsense

I heard about this. They're adding the TAAAARRRRHHHannosaurus Rex.

• Closed Account

No major changes are underway, but it is definitely NOT a "yearly rehab."

In late 2004, half of the Main Line was replaced (it's a big job), going roughly from the outskirts of Frontierland, along the Rivers of America (some may recall the track being so bad here that the trains had to slow to a virtual crawl), through to Tomorrowland.

Now, the rest of the track is being replaced by the same contractor: Sharp & Fellows.

As of a few weeks ago, the crew had basically excavated the entire length of Main Street Station down about six feet. It's been suggested that this was done to remediate the soil there, which has been contaminated with 52 years of dripping oil, grease and diesel fuel.

The track in the dioramas has been replaced.

During this down time, extensive work is also being done on the Fred Gurley. Mission Tool, from the Bay Area, was contracted to completely dis-assemble the engine down to the last cotter pin, and conduct an extensive survey of the work needed to be done to get the engine back in steam. The dis-assembly is finished, and I believe a report has been prepared detailing the work needed. Next, contractors will bid on the next phase: the rebuild. I believe a meeting regarding this is taking place at the park tomorrow, although I am unaware of the specifics to be discussed. The plan is to recreate, within certain limits, how the engine looked in 1959, much as was done with the E.P. Ripley in the late 1990s and what was done to the C.K. Holliday (with errors) more recently.

Work continues on the Ward Kimball, with the entire set of piping and controls inside the cab getting a thorough re-working, so that the controls match the ones exactly as they exist in the other four engines.

And finally, work is being done on the C.K. Holliday, including her receiving a brand-new mahogany cab. She'll also be re-painted to resemble her colors as they appeared on opening day, finally shedding the orange/black paint scheme (colors mistakenly determined by an Imagineer who now regrets the error). The orange and black has won the engine ridiculing nicknames by CMs such as the "C.K. Halloween" and "The Pumpkin." This is all in preparation for her to be displayed (along with the handcar) at this year's upcoming Fullerton Railroad Days May 5 and 6.

So, in a large nutshell, that's "what's up with the Disneyland Railroad."

• Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    So, in a large nutshell, that's "what's up with the Disneyland Railroad."
    I think it is great that Disneyland puts so much care into what (really) is not a marquee attraction. Thank God there was no 'Rockin' the Railroad' promotion.

Legacy certainly has just as an important place right along side of new, visitor-drawing, attractions.

• DCA lover

You are wrong, they are putting in the princesses.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JJ61 View Post
    I think it is great that Disneyland puts so much care into what (really) is not a marquee attraction. Thank God there was no 'Rockin' the Railroad' promotion.

Legacy certainly has just as an important place right along side of new, visitor-drawing, attractions.
    True--it's not a marquee attraction, as you put it.

However, the Railroad's meaning goes far deeper than even legacy. While Walt may have had a spark of an idea while watching his daughters go in circles on a merry-go-round while he ate peanuts and watched, it was his interest in trains and railroading (which pre-dated his becoming a father) which led almost directly to the very creation of Disneyland--and, by extension, the entire Disney empire.

While a Castle may be how the company wishes to be recognized, for Walt Disney, his trains meant far more.

• Roar!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    You are wrong, they are putting in the princesses.
    no no. the princesses are replacing the grand canyon diaroma. not much will be changed, however, as to pay respect to the original attraction. imagineers did surveys of guests and learned that while guests want a new attraction, they also still love the old one. Michael Giacchino will be doing the new soundtrack.

tinkerbell and her fairy friends will also make a small appearance as to introduce that new line of merchandise to guests.

Thanks for your thorough response, Steve. Educational and clear, as always!

Train lovers like me really appreciate your presence on these boards!

Dan

Blog Entries

Wink Re: What's up with the Disneyland Railroad?

[quote=Steve DeGaetano;1515788]While Walt may have had a spark of an idea while watching his daughters go in circles on a merry-go-round while he ate peanuts and watched, it was his interest in trains and railroading (which pre-dated his becoming a father) which led almost directly to the very creation of Disneyland--and, by extension, the entire Disney empire.
    quote]

I don't remember the quote going, "I just thought there should be a place where families could go and ride a train together." The Railroad was always in Walt's plan for a park, encompassing it (deliniating it from the outside world?) from the earliest plans. Walt's fascination of trains is imprinted on Disneyland throughout his involvement from the RR, Viewliner, Monorail, Mine Train. I just don't conclude it was the sole, or even primary, motivator for him to develop the park.

To my original post - I'm just glad to see that attractions that mattered very much to Walt Disney (Disneyland RR) are care for by people that care about his legacy, both in the park and earlier in his life.

(When you sign my copy of your next book, you can write 'To the hack on Micechat.' )

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I heard they were adding a loop...

• Closed Account

I don't remember the quote going, "I just thought there should be a place where families could go and ride a train together." I just don't conclude it was the sole, or even primary, motivator for him to develop the park.
    I'm not disagreeing with your post! I'm just expanding on it.

But I think you'll find that trains were almost inarguably the primary inspiration for the park.

While Walt may have had a spark of an idea about a place where adults and kids could have fun together, it was trains that were the true inspiration for Disneyland. First through his visits to Ward Kimball's back yard, then his trip with Ward to the Chicago Rail Fair and Greenfield Village, and finally through his own Carolwood Pacific Railroad--where the disparate thoughts Walt had about wanting to have fun with his family finally congealed into the solid ideas for Disneyland.

(And let us not forget that Walt Disney drafted his very first ideas for Disneyland--essentially the very first "blueprint" for the park--while riding the train home with Ward from the Chicago Rail Fair. It was quite an elaborate description. Let me know if you'd like me to re-print it here).

Through these circumstances, Walt now had first-hand experience, with trains, family and friends in an outdoor setting on which to expand his ideas. All these railroad experiences fanned that initial spark into the all-out conflagration of imagination we know today as Disneyland.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-14-2007 at 01:15 PM.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Thank God there was no 'Rockin' the Railroad' promotion.
    Oh come on! We could have "The Locomotion" playing! LOL

JUST KIDDING!

...Joe...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    (And let us not forget that Walt Disney drafted his very first ideas for Disneyland--essentially the very first "blueprint" for the park--while riding the train home with Ward from the Chicago Rail Fair. It was quite an elaborate description. Let me know if you'd like me to re-print it here).
    I've heard that story, but have never read the early description. I'd love to read it.

I ride the rails regularly (nice alliteration) from Oceanside to Tustin to/from my office - I prefer it over driving though it ultimately makes for a longer commute. I know watching the scenes flow by from the window of a train is good food for an epiphany.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast