Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Best Buds

Question What do people think of Grizzly River Run?

When talking about DCA, I hear people mention Paradise Pier, Soarin' over California, and even Superstar Limo (!), but I never seem to hear anyone discuss Grizzly River Run.

I've only been to DCA once and did not get a chance to ride Grizzly. Is it worth a spin? Does it fall flat? What do people think of this attraction?
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• CM for 4 years!

Everyone I see walking off of that ride looks uncomfortable.

Water + denim = not a good combonation.

I haven't ridden it yet. Don't ever plan on riding it, because I refure to be the asshat in a poncho.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

We loved it and went on it a couple of times and it was february and we got a little chilly buy we dried quickly and it was great fun.
    Tina

• OM NOM NOM

I like it, but it is only for those who want to get wet. If you have a change of clothes when you visit, or you are wearing lightweight clothes when you ride, you will have a blast.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Man O Lantern

We love it! Especially my kids. When it was rainy in December, my old two kids dragged my husband on it repeatedly. It was hilarious!!!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    I like it, but it is only for those who want to get wet. If you have a change of clothes when you visit, or you are wearing lightweight clothes when you ride, you will have a blast.
    And here I pictured you in that flannel type shirt, breaking off a paddle and manuevering the boat through the rapids like a champ! You ruined my dreams Mara, you ruined them!

• OM NOM NOM

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    And here I pictured you in that flannel type shirt, breaking off a paddle and manuevering the boat through the rapids like a champ! You ruined my dreams Mara, you ruined them!
    Oh, I do that all the time. Disney is considering my river exploits to be a Kodak moving photo spot.

But seriously, it can be uncomfortable to walk around DCA in wet jeans, so being prepared is worth its weight in gold. It seems to me, however, that I always get on it when I wear jeans. :o
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I went on it and Got SOAKED!... It was a warm day, so it wasnt too bad. Just make sure you dont have anything that would get water damaged in your pockets.

It is kind of short, and the "Drop" fell kind of flat after I had heard (In a big build up) it was great.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and worth the ride, if the wait time is less than 30 minutes.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• At the Gym or at DL

It's a fun attraction but pretty much a knockoff of a Knott's ride that's been around for almost 20 years. Doesn't do much to counter the criticism that DCA was built with off the shelf attractions.

• Misses Disneyland

Same old Rip ROaring Rapids that I have been riding since I was kid, but with a nice drop at the end and no quarter controlled water shooters. Those make it all worth while, especially when you have a few beers and 10 bucks in quarters. :devil: If you don't know what I speak of, visit Paramounts Great America.

Elsa's and Anna's
    Disneyland Dec 2014

• Again! Again! Again!

It's wet.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

GRR is a fun little ride, and has a nice feature at the end that makes it a notch above most rafting rides. I'm no ghenius, but I usually assume that if I go to DCA, I will go on GRR, so I dress appropriately, and it's all good.

I think the reason it doesn't get mentioned more is that it is only a notch above the rest. This is the company that brought us Splash Mountain, and I think Disney could have made this ride a whole letter grade or two above any other raft ride. Instead, they built a good enough ride. But the park is full of "good enough," and doesn't have too much "great."

Plus, the positioning of the ride just sort of dominates the park in a not so good way. Half of your day you spend staring at the backside of Grizzly.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

GRR better than Kali River Rapids!!

I just rode GRR for the first time this last week. I have rode Kali River Rapids at WDW and GRR is better. It is longer and the boat shifts back and forth better. Both have the potential to get wet, which does not bother me.

One thing did bother me, at the highest point drop, we were allowed to see the city around us. It was really a DRAG!! It blew the whole "other world" atmosphere of the ride. I would have built up faux rocks around it at that point so you did not have to see the OC. Walt knew that putting his guests in another world was the key to allowing them to relax and have fun. Reminding me that I had to get back on the freeway to leave was a real downer!!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Baybeh!

It's fun. But the couple times I rode it, I began to think they should officially change the name of the park to "Disney's Californa Berry Farm."

• Minion

Well, thinking of rocks, that is one thing that always irtks me a little...

Okay, we're using an old mining facility or some such as our lift hill. Lift hills in water rides are always tricky things to explain anyway, so it works well enough, and that is one of the improvements in design GRR has, putting the most boring part of the water ride up front, and adding a few touches to make it more fun.

But, toward the end of the ride... when do we leave the "river" and end up in a giant sluice box, and why? For a few extra bucks, couldn't they cover the wood with some rock work?

Or, couldn't we drop the contemporary rafting theme and make this a Gold Rush ride, thus making a giant sluice box more relevant to the theme of choice?

Not a huge issue, but again, it's another example of that lack of detail that holds this ride and the park itself back from greatness.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast