Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: The Carnation Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    i actually happen to know where it is, and it's here in california right under your nose.
    Frankly, I'm betting it is. If I had to stick a pin in a map, I'd choose Glendale. Anyway.... care to share?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

i actually happen to know where it is, and it's here in california right under your nose.
    That would require one heckuva big nose

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Got a nice email from NestleUSA (who purchased Carnation in 1989) reading in part:

In response to your inquiry, we have forwarded your information to the proper department. We will notify you if we find the whereabouts of the Carnation Delivery Truck.
    No response yet, however, from Disney.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Santa Barbara, CA

I would contact the WDI Show Quality Dept if they still have one and ask them.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• :)

It's located in the back of Disneyland in the building right next to the Security Entrance at Team Disney Anaheim, the one right next to the parade float building. I've literally seen it in the back, there are several other cars with drapes over them, not sure which ones...But it's there. Not sure on how you will acquire this item without a SWAT team and a tow truck :/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

From my research, it seems that the Carnation truck belonged to Carnation and not Disney. It was built, using Bob Gurr's drawings, by Carnation workmen at Carnation's Atwater Village plant (near Glendale.) Its original function was to be a working truck to bring products from backstage to Main St. each morning, then be parked as a sort of "billboard" for the rest of the day.

That implies, to me, that Carnation/Nestle retained ownership. I'm inclined, at least for now, to view Nestle as the most likely source of information regarding the truck after it left Main St.

Disney doesn't seem to be very inclined to waste assets. If it was their truck but no longer necessary as a Main St. display... I would think that Disney would either sell it and get a few bucks, or repaint it and use it elsewhere in the park.

Either way, I'm puzzled how a Disney icon just vanishes. You'd think that whomever has it now would want to go, "Hey! Lookie what I got!"

(Old car people can be eccentric, however. Many of them absolutely DO NOT want anyone to know what they have... sometimes as a way to avoid getting robbed. Perhaps it is in some private garage somewhere and the current owner is merely content with knowing he has it.)

(Viewership of MiceChat grows daily. I'm hoping that someone might eventually land here who knows the answer and is willing to divulge the solution to the mystery.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

It's located in the back of Disneyland in the building right next to the Security Entrance at Team Disney Anaheim, the one right next to the parade float building. I've literally seen it in the back, there are several other cars with drapes over them, not sure which ones...But it's there. Not sure on how you will acquire this item without a SWAT team and a tow truck :/
    Apparently, you and I were literally posting at the same time. My post above, was made before I read yours.

Thanks for the information. Perhaps someone can confirm this. A photo would be wonderful. Then the mystery is solved and we can all go back to our regularly scheduled lives of quiet desperation.

Obviously, if it is still retained by Disney, acquisition would be difficult if not impossible. So be it. It's still nice to just know that it still exists and where it is.

• Senior Minion

Check out these photos from Disneyland.
    Carnation Truck with Walt Disney Driving.
    Eating Ice Cream,
    And a TV tower in front of the castle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
    I saw this and thought of you Tom.
    The Pictures are almost at a 400.00 bid.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    Apparently, you and I were literally posting at the same time. My post above, was made before I read yours.

Thanks for the information. Perhaps someone can confirm this. A photo would be wonderful. Then the mystery is solved and we can all go back to our regularly scheduled lives of quiet desperation.

Obviously, if it is still retained by Disney, acquisition would be difficult if not impossible. So be it. It's still nice to just know that it still exists and where it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it was heh. Lots of stuff just sitting around there. It's impossible to tell from satelite photos if it's there but there are lots of little cars that could be like it. I would've looked for you when I was backstage for auditions if this issue came up back then heh.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Finally, a communication from Disney:

3/22/2007

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Unfortunately, we are unable to locate information on the whereabouts of
    the Main Street Carnation Truck.
    We apologize for any disappointment
    this may cause you and your family.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
    opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit
    will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

(name deleted)
    DISNEYLAND® Resort
    Guest Communications
    Why is this such a mystery?

So far we know:

1. The Carnation Truck was apparently sighted backstage in 2004. (Source: PM from someone who claims to have seen it. I have no reason to believe they are not telling the truth.) If the Carnation Truck is backstage, why is Disney unable to verify this? I doubt this is some secret conspiracy. Are the people who anwer guest emails just too lazy to do the research? Or... is the truck somewhere unknown now?
    2. Nestle (who purchased Carnation in the late 80's) has failed to respond.)
    3. Nobody seems to be able (or willing) to reveal the location of an iconic Disney vehicle.

Where is the Carnation Delivery Truck?
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 04-05-2007 at 02:29 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Just sent another email to Disney. Let's see if they're tweaked by this:

"A few weeks ago, I submitted an email request regarding the current whereabouts of the Carnation Truck that was an icon on Disneyland's Main Street for many years. I've recently received a reply as follows:

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Unfortunately, we are unable to locate information on the whereabouts of
    the Main Street Carnation Truck. We apologize for any disappointment
    this may cause you and your family.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
    opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit
    will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,
    (name deleted)
    DISNEYLAND® Resort
    Guest Communications
    HOWEVER: I have also received information from a former Disneyland Cast Member that as of 2004, the Carnation Delivery Truck was: "located in the back of Disneyland in the building right next to the Security Entrance at Team Disney Anaheim, the one right next to the parade float building. I've literally seen it in the back, there are several other cars with drapes over them, not sure which ones...But it's there."

Obviously, you can understand my confusion. Is it there or not? Sorry to request such an imposition of your part, but I'd like to get an honest and definative answer. Is it possible to dispatch a Disneyland CM to the described location for a few moments to determine either, "Yep... it's there!" or "Nope, it's not!" Where is this iconic Gurr-Mobile????
    Regards,
    Tom Chaney"

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

For no apparent reason I also care about this. I hope we find out some information. I also hope a clandestine infiltration to said building is not required. Those ninja uniforms chafe so ...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• 88 mph

I personally have not seen the carnation truck next to the parade center because I used to work at Toontown as a rotation back in the summer of 2006. I'm sure of it because to see something historic like that I would definitely have seen, examined and taken note of it. Maybe they're telling the truth.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    (Old car people can be eccentric, however. Many of them absolutely DO NOT want anyone to know what they have... sometimes as a way to avoid getting robbed. Perhaps it is in some private garage somewhere and the current owner is merely content with knowing he has it.)

(Viewership of MiceChat grows daily. I'm hoping that someone might eventually land here who knows the answer and is willing to divulge the solution to the mystery.)
    You are so right about them being eccentric! (My s-dad is one of those.) Ask him what he has, he will tell you "A couple cars"... Once my uncle came over and walked the property counting. He gave up at 85. (That included the bone yard parts cars.)

I looked thru his "showroom" and he doesn't have the truck there... :wink:
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Thanks to those who find this "quest" interesting. I'm just slightly baffled that something as big as a truck can just go missing and nobody knows anything. I'm certainly not intending to imply that Disney nor anyone else isn't being truthful. I'd love it if someone would, at least, go to the location where the truck was once seen and see if it's still there now. That's all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast