Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain

•   
    • Senior Minion

Mark Twain

Wow, according to the Disney site, the Mark Twain is scheduled to remain down for over 2 more months... until May 22 to be exact. It appears it needed a little more than replacement of a few rotting boards and some paint.
    Bummer for us, as we are going the first week of May... and I haven't been on it for 30 years and was looking forward to it

• Banned User

Re: Mark Twain

That IS a bummer. I'm sorry. I hate when that stuff happens. We went during the POTC refurb and I hated not riding it.

I think part of the reason that it is down through that date is due to the construction on TSI. Since no Fantasmic while they are busy changing the island it seems like a good time to do a thorough rehab. The Pirates III premiere is May 19 so a May 22 return makes sense.
    The Mur

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I think part of the reason that it is down through that date is due to the construction on TSI. Since no Fantasmic while they are busy changing the island it seems like a good time to do a thorough rehab. The Pirates III premiere is May 19 so a May 22 return makes sense.
    Excellent thoughts. I bet you are 100% right too.

• Eeyore smiling

Ah, but you are missing a positive. They have the Columbia docked where the Mark Twain usually is, which in the day time you can board. Captain Jack Sparrow is sometimes on board (and boy does he look JUST like Jonny Depp or what?!). Also the Columbia is taken out on the Rivers of America for rides.
    See, theres a silver linning!

• Banned User

I remember a person from my state (WA) was killed by either the Mark Twain or the Columbia when it was being docked. Sorry---that was SOOOO off topic!!! Just came to mind.

• Eeyore smiling

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I remember a person from my state (WA) was killed by either the Mark Twain or the Columbia when it was being docked. Sorry---that was SOOOO off topic!!! Just came to mind.
    Here is what I remember
    It was the Columbia, a CM who did not normally work the Columbia forgot to untie it, and it pulled the heavy metal tying deal and hit a newlywed couple, killing the man and wounding the wife. Now here is the funny part, I remember that the couple came from a town local to me, in the Bay Area, Fremont, CA.
    Is that too funny, that we both thought that they were in our local area?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    Here is what I remember
    It was the Columbia, a CM who did not normally work the Columbia forgot to untie it, and it pulled the heavy metal tying deal and hit a newlywed couple, killing the man and wounding the wife. Now here is the funny part, I remember that the couple came from a town local to me, in the Bay Area, Fremont, CA.
    Is that too funny, that we both thought that they were in our local area?
    How funny! ha! I mean, tragic, but, funny that we did think that. I thought they were from Seattle!!!

• Hopping DLR for 40 Years

As to the Columbia Accident...

Actually, it was a manager who tied the boat off too soon (the boat was still moving) - the momentum of stopping the Columbia with the docking line tore the cleat loose. The cleat was designed to hold the boat, not to stop it.

Regards; KotF

• Disneyholic

THat's too bad about The Mark Twain but I have not been on the Columbia in at least a decade since every time I've gone it was not in use.
    "Some imagination Huh?"

• Closed Account

Probably the peson with more knowledge about the Mark Twain than anyone on this board is King of the Frogs.

Maybe he could give us his thouoghts on the reasons for the extended down time.

The Twain is down that long because of the island Rehab. It will be done beofore May. And Becasue of the Rehab on the island the boats are not running until dusk so instead of having the Twain sit at the dock closed all day until dusk they are keeping the Columbia out as a museum and running her at night.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    As a native Californian, and lifetime resident, please accept my sincere condolences on the sad fate of your fellow Washingtonian.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    The Twain is down that long because of the island Rehab. It will be done beofore May. And Becasue of the Rehab on the island the boats are not running until dusk so instead of having the Twain sit at the dock closed all day until dusk they are keeping the Columbia out as a museum and running her at night.
    Just curious why you think the refurb on the Mark Twain will be done before May? The Disney website says down until, May22....

Because they are keeping the Columbia out instead and the Twain will stay in Fowlers harbor until the island reopens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast