Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Is Disneyland a Historical Landmark??

The Tomorrowland Monorail Station has a plaque saying its a historical landmark.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I don't know where it is registered but... The MainStreet Train Station at Disneyland is a historical landmark. That is why they don't need to alter it at all for wheelchair access. If this is an urban legend, someone correct me- it's been brought up before.
    I've heard this rumor as well but it is not a CA historical landmark or a National Historical Landmark, according to those agencies respective websites.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwat View Post
    hey Tom Chaney I work where you live!! at the cheesecake factory..whoo hoO!
    i live there too Haven't been to that cheesecake factory in a year though :P

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

again, as has been said, Disneyland is not a historical landmark and shouldn't be. It's an American Icon, not a landmark.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• In Blackberry Rehab

Meanwhile Disney came up with a pretty clever way to overcome the Handicap rules with the Submarine ride, considering they are using all the original subs. The guided tour told me earlier this month, that they are installing a seperate room where a pretty hi-tec film will recreate what the sub riders are seeing, but in the room. I wonder if people will suddenly be struck by "claustrophobia" because the alternate viewing room just might be quicker and more enjoyable!
    I know it's off-topic, but anybody else catch that? Somehow I see a lawsuit here.

honk if you see me at disneyland!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't know where it is registered but... The MainStreet Train Station at Disneyland is a historical landmark. That is why they don't need to alter it at all for wheelchair access. If this is an urban legend, someone correct me- it's been brought up before.
    It isn't a landmark. It is grandfathered. No alterations ahve to be made because it existed prior to the laws taking place. Same reason why the subs have yet to be made accessable.

• Closed Account

As others have correctly posted, this just isn't true. Another Disneyland urban legend.

As for the monorail, it isn't a "registered historical landmark" either. It is a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, designated as such by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Since this designation carries no legal weight, the Monorail can be modified--or even torn down--without consequence (Except, perhaps, that a disgusted ME may throw his slide rule at you).

I was under the impression that the main street portion of the park was listed as a historical landmark -- maybe I'm wrong, and someone whose been in City Hall recently ( haven't been in there in a while)can correct me -- I thought the certificate/documentation of it being a registered historical landmark is framed on the wall in City Hall. I was told by CM in City Hall that, as others have said here, that is the reason there is no handicapped access to the train station there.

• Closed Account

A ceremonial proclamation from the Mayor or Governor also caries no legal weight.

• Closed Account

Here is the link to the California Registered Historical Landmark site, for those who want to research this themselves. Included in the site are criteria for designation, as well as a listing of sites in CA.

http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21381

In many ways, I wish some structures in DL would be designated Historical Landmarks. The lacy look of Main Street Station, for example, has changed so much over the years that it has lost much of its Victorian charm.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    The Tomorrowland Monorail Station has a plaque saying its a historical landmark.
    Well, no, it doesn't - the plaque is from an Engineering Society and recognizes the 1959 Monorail as a historical engineering achievement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12